U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-09-2009, 08:00 AM

8,206 posts, read 14,320,432 times
They will discover you can run your car engine for 1000 miles on 1/2 a can of dog food

You just know if that happened, Alpo would go up to three hundred dollars a can.

Old 12-09-2009, 10:19 AM

317 posts, read 604,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
I got angry reading that article ... seriously, the feds probably spent tens of thousands of dollars investigating that poor woman to squeeze 1 grand out of a person who is on the bottom strata of income here. A real investigation probably would have asked why she isn't on income assistance. She shouldn't be fined for "not providing" for her children. Was probably investigated by some jerk off person who was from Dawn Sawth who believed in Gawd and coontry and from a region where 30k is a lot of money, with no idea what the reality is here in Seattle.

But, suppose this person really earned $150,000 a year and only reported $18,000 as income....would you still be as angry? And if not, how does the IRS know which people are tax cheat and which people are not? They obviously need to catch the guy who makes $150k a year but only reports $19k in income.

She wasn't fined for "not providing" for her children. The IRS says that to count children as dependents, you must be the one that is financially providing for them. If grandma or grandpa or auntie or uncle are paying for their needs, mom and dad can't claim them as dependents for tax purposes, they must be claimed by whomever is providing for them. (This makes sense, because does the deadbeat dad who doesn't pay child support get to claim his kids as dependents and receive a tax writeoff? Surely no.)

Old 12-09-2009, 12:45 PM

191 posts, read 314,352 times
Our tax system is just plain flawed. I've seen a few pushes to "tax what you spend now what you earn" but nothing ever comes of it. Taxing spending instead of earning ensures that everyone pays taxes, based upon what they can or chose to spend.

Old 12-09-2009, 08:38 PM

857 posts, read 2,551,065 times
Cedarbluff, the problem is more that they just kept going. Assuming the article is faithful, then they would have known the living situation, seen how the math worked, and then gone away. But instead the grabbed hold and kept shaking.

It's certainly possible she could secretly be a hairstylist to the stars and working for cash at night in her basement, making $400 a night tax-free. Heck, I know somebody who does EXACTLY THAT up here. So, SOMETHING went wrong here. Maybe she called the auditor an unfriendly name, so he/she got mad and kept pursuing it. Maybe the auditor wanted her to sleep with them and she didn't. Maybe she gave the auditor a really bad haircut. Dunno. But we're seriously paying the auditor's salary so they can go and spend a year going after somebody for that little money? Especially after it was clear there was no fraud?? Thanks, government, appreciate that.

I still want to see a follow-up to this article. There's got to be more to it.

Patron, evaders will keep on evading when you tax on spending. My roommate in college was getting Pell grants because her family was "so broke", doing dairy farming. She had three cars in four years, all pretty nice, that her daddy traded for hay, whatever. They did a lot of trading so that their income would look like they were very broke, but rural farmers. Crazy. I'd love to see an end to that kind of lunacy -- I was drowning in unsubsidized loans because MY dad had a normal job that paid just enough to keep a house and five kids fed, end of story. But people are always going to cheat. That's why they have auditors. I just wish that auditors didn't get like small-town cops feeling all powerful and arrogant. Stupid.

Old 12-10-2009, 08:16 AM

9,852 posts, read 7,964,557 times
Indiana: City Threatens $2500 Fines for Challenging Traffic Tickets

We should do this in Seattle. It's really a win-win situation for all. Higher fines ='s more money in city coffers. This money can be used to build schools and low income housing. Bridges amd tunnels will sprout forth like majestic firs and/or tender, delicious mushrooms. The insurance company will love the increased income from the points you get on your license. More money into the insurance companies means more money in the economy, vs. say, in your bank account. The U.S. economy is consumer driven. Without this influx of cash, the U.S. economy will ultimately fail. I think the lawyer has no chance in fighting this.

They should actually double the fine to 5 grand. That's a nice number. It would increase the economical impact by 50 percent, at least. Maybe more.

We should also have an oxygen tax. It's a well known fact that when walking up a hill, fat people breathe harder. If there was a tax on oxygen, fat people would get skinnier, because they couldn't afford the tax. This would decrease obesity in the United States and the deaths caused by obesity. More doctors would be available to treat the non fatty. A tax on air consumed would be a great start to making this country stronger. I think people should just have to "weigh in" every year, kind of like a vehicle emissions test. If you are over your fat limit, you get sent to fat camp and they take all your goods and property and give them to local police to sell for pennies on the dollar. That would help the U.S. and your local police force out a LOT. Think of all that property, waiting to be consumed. And you got a new, thin person who has to work to get their stuff back. The economy would only expand in this scenario, and waistlines would shrink. It's a win-win for all, really.

Last edited by 70Ford; 12-10-2009 at 08:31 AM..

Old 12-12-2009, 08:17 AM

267 posts, read 875,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
Thanks for posting that, 70. I can't sleep because I'm still fuming that I lost my court case on Friday for running a red light that I was stopped at for over a minute, and only proceeded through when it turned green. At the time he cited me, the officer told me he didn't see the light, but was ordered to give me the ticket by another officer. He also put the wrong street name and number on the ticket (address was nearly a mile away and a few blocks over). I thought it was a clear case.. but no. At the hearing 6 months later, he "remembered" seeing me run the light, but "couldn't recall" our conversation and the wrong address was a simple mistake. Judge found that his testimony was more credible. But... she did reduce my ticket by half... so all things considered,I guess I was lucky after all.

Old 12-12-2009, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenlion View Post
Cedarbluff, the problem is more that they just kept going. Assuming the article is faithful, then they would have known the living situation, seen how the math worked, and then gone away. But instead the grabbed hold and kept shaking.

It's certainly possible she could secretly be a hairstylist to the stars and working for cash at night in her basement, making $400 a night tax-free. Heck, I know somebody who does EXACTLY THAT up here. So, SOMETHING went wrong here. Maybe she called the auditor an unfriendly name, so he/she got mad and kept pursuing it. Maybe the auditor wanted her to sleep with them and she didn't. Maybe she gave the auditor a really bad haircut. Dunno. But we're seriously paying the auditor's salary so they can go and spend a year going after somebody for that little money? Especially after it was clear there was no fraud?? Thanks, government, appreciate that.

I still want to see a follow-up to this article. There's got to be more to it.

Patron, evaders will keep on evading when you tax on spending. My roommate in college was getting Pell grants because her family was "so broke", doing dairy farming. She had three cars in four years, all pretty nice, that her daddy traded for hay, whatever. They did a lot of trading so that their income would look like they were very broke, but rural farmers. Crazy. I'd love to see an end to that kind of lunacy -- I was drowning in unsubsidized loans because MY dad had a normal job that paid just enough to keep a house and five kids fed, end of story. But people are always going to cheat. That's why they have auditors. I just wish that auditors didn't get like small-town cops feeling all powerful and arrogant. Stupid.

Well Jenlion, everyone [baseless assumption] knows what a government approved scam farm subsidies are. Many people receiving them live in major cities, no where near farms.

Old 12-12-2009, 09:47 AM

6 posts, read 12,258 times
What ticks me off is that the IRS won't use their resources wisely to stop Ponzi scheme artist like Madoff and Rothstein. Instead, they will try to get a couple hundred bucks from people like this. Just doesn't seem right.

Old 12-12-2009, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooDarnHumid View Post
What ticks me off is that the IRS won't use their resources wisely to stop Ponzi scheme artist like Madoff and Rothstein. Instead, they will try to get a couple hundred bucks from people like this. Just doesn't seem right.

You are thinking of the SEC, not the IRS [completely different functions]. That 's like asking a plumber to build your fence.

"Do you have a point forthcoming Mr. Patron of Wrath?"

Thank you for asking, yes I do. The SEC was repeatedly, in detail, warned about Madoff. The SEC is an entry level job. The people working at the SEC are all trying to get jobs with the companies they are supposed to be monitoring. This is a well known problem, but not one that we'll see anything done about. [Madoff gave over $100,000.00 in political winkwink-donations-winkwin]

"Tell us why Patron of Wrath!"

Because our government establishes the controls over our financial system, and government functions on elections, not right and wrong. Elections are directly tied to money, and money comes from groups of people united by agendas [special interest groups].

"But isn't the US a democracy Patron of Wrath?"

Wrong, the USA is a Republic: a capitalist republic at that. In our republic he who raises the most money almost 'always' wins an election in our country. Who raised the most money in the 08 Presidential Election? President Obama of course.

"Patron, if you keep tying I'm going to need a Kindle to read this."

Fair enough, I'll stop with one more statement, which you can quote me on.

"If monetary contributions didn't affect political decisions then there would be no monetary contributions."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area