U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 06:30 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,802,676 times
Default What are some of the "hip" neighborhoods of Seattle?

Hi...I'm looking to move to Seattle within the next year, and was wondering what are some of the hip, artsy type neighborhoods in the area? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2009, 06:38 PM

44 posts, read 97,041 times
Those would be Capitol Hill and Ballard. I'd recommend Capitol Hill, because Ballard feels more like "where hipsters go to calm down and have kids" as opposed to Capitol Hill's "where hipsters go first after leaving their cushy suburbs".

[/topic]

Old 12-06-2009, 06:40 PM
Status: "Your opinion is yours, but the facts belong to no one" (set 12 days ago)

305 posts, read 456,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpol76 View Post
Hi...I'm looking to move to Seattle within the next year, and was wondering what are some of the hip, artsy type neighborhoods in the area? Thanks in advance!
Look in to Capitol Hill, Fremont/Wallingford, and Belltown.

Old 12-06-2009, 08:59 PM

7,972 posts, read 13,450,363 times
There's different kind of hip neighborhoods in Seattle, but in terms of artsy hip, Fremont still has some of that vibe despite getting more corporate, Georgetown is full of artists and has that old brick building/industrialish artsy vibe, and Columbia City in the south end is also worth investigating. A lot of artsy neighborhoods in Seattle are less artsy because artists can no longer afford to live there.

Old 12-06-2009, 09:15 PM

2,353 posts, read 431,782 times
Fremont, Broadway, Magnolia Village, Wallingford, Queen Anne, Belltown, and yes even parts of Ballard.

Old 12-08-2009, 07:44 PM

594 posts, read 916,468 times
I'm not sure how anyone can say Fremont is artsy at this point. It's not 1990 anymore. Yes, it still has the skeleton of an "artsy" neighborhood, but at its heart is frat/sorority central. The bars mostly cater to that crowd and the vibe is like where Frat row goes to party once they graduate.

Avoid Fremont unless your a ken/barbie type.

I agree with others that Capitol Hill, Ballard, and Georgetown are your best bets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
There's different kind of hip neighborhoods in Seattle, but in terms of artsy hip, Fremont still has some of that vibe despite getting more corporate, Georgetown is full of artists and has that old brick building/industrialish artsy vibe, and Columbia City in the south end is also worth investigating. A lot of artsy neighborhoods in Seattle are less artsy because artists can no longer afford to live there.

Old 12-08-2009, 07:56 PM

2,353 posts, read 431,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcroJimmy2 View Post
I'm not sure how anyone can say Fremont is artsy at this point. It's not 1990 anymore. Yes, it still has the skeleton of an "artsy" neighborhood, but at its heart is frat/sorority central. The bars mostly cater to that crowd and the vibe is like where Frat row goes to party once they graduate.

Avoid Fremont unless your a ken/barbie type.

I agree with others that Capitol Hill, Ballard, and Georgetown are your best bets.
Fremont is still artsy. No it's not like the 70's, but it's there.

Old 12-26-2009, 11:33 PM

221 posts, read 455,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCallMeTC View Post
Fremont is still artsy. No it's not like the 70's, but it's there.
Hey, Acrojimmy stole my ken/barbie line

I tend to agree, though, that Fremont is more like Belltown's cousin, while Ballard is Capitol Hill's cousin.

Old 12-27-2009, 11:20 PM

808 posts, read 1,286,946 times
Belltown: Mixed bag/more urban/refreshingly hippie-free
Capitol Hill: the gheys/hipsters that call themselves hipsters/introverts
Ballard: hipsters with kids/hipsters with money/granolas
Fremont: granolas/aging frat guys/tech nerds
Downtown: career types/retail workers/fashion-y hipsters
Upper Queen Anne: SPU students/old people that didn't get the memo about white flight in the 60's
Lower Queen Anne: all the non-hipster women aged 18-30 in Seattle live here
Wallingford: crazy people/granolas
Columbia City: like a small town if small towns didn't suck
First Hill: Do you like the live in a dense neighborhood but not have to see actual people?
Central District: hipsters that thought it was the new Capitol Hill until the economy tanked and now they're stuck in a crappy neighborhood with no organic food stores.
Northgate: Want something stolen? Like cars and sitting in traffic? Are you more of a grey/beige person?
University District: UW students/homeless people/ave rats who ask for change all day and head home to Bellevue just in time for mommy to tuck them in.
SoDo: urban pioneers
Georgetown: Mythical neighborhood almost impossible to get to/from. May not even exist. Artists rumored to live there but are not seen in the daylight.
Rainier Beach: The suspects stood outside a local bar after a heated argument and a gun was drawn and fired on the first suspect. No other details are available at this time.
South Lake Union: Five people live here. They are waiting for all the biotech workers to move in and create a bustling, vibrant neighborhood. Any day now.
Madison Park: Money.
Financial District: the two people on House Hunters that moved into 5th and Madison
Pioneer Square: artists with steel balls
Chinatown: old asians

Last edited by JesseJB; 12-27-2009 at 11:39 PM..

Old 12-28-2009, 06:22 PM

242 posts, read 351,295 times
Thumbs up am I too old for Capitol Hill?

I live in NYC and I am thinking of moving to the Capitol Hill neighborhood of Seattle. What is the age range of people living there? I am a single woman in my late 40s and want to live in a neighborhood that isn't all 20-somethings but has people of all ages. But otherwise, it appears to fit the bill for me: walkable, a lot of interesting businesses, good public transit, and politically progressive.

Last edited by expdxer; 12-28-2009 at 06:23 PM.. Reason: didn't mean to put the thumbs-up--getting old
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area