Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 01:19 PM

129 posts, read 388,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
There are probably more families living in downtown Seattle now than there were ten years ago, but it's still pretty rare.
interesting....why do you think that is?

I found this article, a couple of years old, that addresses the issue:

Parents want more family-friendly downtown living (http://www.seattlepi.com/local/288840_family16.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2009, 03:37 PM

72 posts, read 187,525 times
I am following your post closely because I too am venturing out to the great PNW but I cannot visit before moving because of the costs involved and lack of time, therefore I am going with my gut...so to speak.

Old 12-09-2009, 05:36 PM

191 posts, read 510,717 times
I'm in the same boat as some of the other wanna-be relocatees [yes I made that word up]. I grew up in far northern California, moving to Tampa Bay in my early teens. I hate the heat here and fondly remember being able to see mountains in my home town. As I said, I hate the heat, so was looking to relocate to a colder climate that has forests for hiking, rivers for canoeing, and a solid tech market for an IT security professional. Nothing quite matched Seattle, but now that I'm looking for houses I am starting to get worried. It seems that most communities are collections of single houses along thoroughfares [except in areas far too expensive for the average Joe to live].

Old 12-09-2009, 06:09 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,337,354 times
Patron of Wrath,
There are plenty of parts of the Seattle area which are not collections of single houses along thoroughfares and which are not too expensive for the average Joe to live in.
I'm not exactly sure what you want. Do you want a single family house not on a thoroughfare, or not a single family house at all?
For affordability, look south or north of Seattle. South of Seattle, Renton has the Cedar River, which has canoe and kayak rentals, and the Cedar river trail which is something like 17 miles long. Renton is far more affordable than most of Seattle and the east side, and is fairly close to both. It has a reputation of being full of illiterate slobs. I live in Renton. I may be a slob, but I'm not illiterate. renton has more cultural stuff going on than most people realize.
Another place to consider is Burien. A bit far from the eastside, but an easy trip into Seattle. Downtown "Old Burien" is several blocks long and includes art galleries, brew pubs, espresso shops, great restaurants, and is overlooked by many. Burien is also on Puget Sound, with great water and mountain views, and Seahurst park, which has nice uphill hiking and is on the water as well.
Also, keep in mind that rent costs are currently far less than mortgage payments here, not true in all places.

Old 12-09-2009, 07:03 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,896,236 times
umm ... O.P. from "NYC" ??
NewYorkCity ... let's see ... isn't that a suburb of Philadelphia?
Ah, the garden spots of the enlightened and refreshing American east coast!

You're right about Seattle being a nothing place. I (and all the other dismally boring wet-sider webfoots who are so blind and ignorant as to make this place our home) wish more potential immigrants to our state would have your advance vision, save themselves the agony of NW entrapment, and stay away. We want to suffer our fates here alone. Very very alone. *sniff*

Only good place in Seattle really is the Aurora Bridge -- to jump off when our depression due to enduring life in our horrible neighborhoods just finally becomes too much ...

heh ... enjoy NYC, you lucky guy!

Old 12-09-2009, 08:57 PM

1,863 posts, read 5,149,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
umm ... O.P. from "NYC" ??
NewYorkCity ... let's see ... isn't that a suburb of Philadelphia?
Ah, the garden spots of the enlightened and refreshing American east coast!

You're right about Seattle being a nothing place. I (and all the other dismally boring wet-sider webfoots who are so blind and ignorant as to make this place our home) wish more potential immigrants to our state would have your advance vision, save themselves the agony of NW entrapment, and stay away. We want to suffer our fates here alone. Very very alone. *sniff*

Only good place in Seattle really is the Aurora Bridge -- to jump off when our depression due to enduring life in our horrible neighborhoods just finally becomes too much ...

heh ... enjoy NYC, you lucky guy!
Thanks for your input and your time, Nullgeo. I appreciate it very much. I just increased your reputation. You know, I have heard the Aurora Bridge is reserved for locals only. I didn't even know this bridge was built for jumping.

Honestly, dude, after reading your useless post, I can only suggest you jump ASAP, as your mental condition can only get worse.

And they say New Yorkers are not polite!

Old 12-09-2009, 09:12 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,663,701 times
Nah, you'll run into these types all over the place. They're distant cousins of the late local newspaper crumegon Emmitt Watson, who's main theme was to diss Seattle to keep others from moving there. These people actually love their area, just think it deserves to be their own and nobody elses. They think they are funny, but the best advice is to ignore them. (BTW, Nullgeo may indeed be the ghost of Emmitt Watson, his writing is eerily reminiscent of Watson!)

Last edited by pw72; 12-09-2009 at 09:24 PM..

Old 12-09-2009, 09:31 PM

807 posts, read 2,258,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by specificnorthwest View Post
interesting....why do you think that is?

I found this article, a couple of years old, that addresses the issue:

Parents want more family-friendly downtown living (http://www.seattlepi.com/local/288840_family16.html - broken link)

Heheh I totally hooked up with the mom in the photo the night before this article came out. And I'm not kidding.

Old 12-09-2009, 09:43 PM

1,863 posts, read 5,149,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expdxer View Post
I think you may just need time to adjust to the Pacific NW and its more laid-back lifestyle. All I can say is that I can't wait to move back. Single family homes are just part of the make-up of cities there; if you're from the Northeast single-family homes are associated with the suburbs. You may just need an adjustment period.
Thanks, Expdxer. I know what you mean. Today, after spending a couple of hours in the downtown and Belltown, I think I started to understand why Seattleites love neigborhoods like Ballard, Fremont, Capitol Hill or West Seattle. There is so much soul and character in those neigborhoods. I think those neigborhoods is what makes Seattle so special. Not that I hate downtown Seattle. There are many interesting places in the downtown. However, I think it's Seattle's neigborhoods not the downtown that defines Seattle.

I realize some locals who post in this thread give me hard time just because they see I'm from NYC. You know, I didn't start this thread to compare and to complain. Although, maybe unconsiously, I did. This is human nature, I guess. However, please understand I flew here from New York because I have a genuine interest in your city. I'm considering Seattle as a place to live for me and my family. If one of you would consider a move to NYC, I'm sure you would question and find many things unusual, too. And those who don't intend to move, please understand that people who are moving do it for a reason. There is something they don't like where they currently live. If you guys live here and are totally happy with the place and cannot imagine to live somewhere else, I'm only jealous of you.

Old 12-09-2009, 10:09 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,774,059 times
"However, I think it's Seattle's neigborhoods not the downtown that defines Seattle. "

Wouldn't you say this about any city? It seems like downtowns are mainly places for commerce, tourists, and the occasional night out. People live in the neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area