Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2009, 10:26 AM

2 posts, read 4,850 times

Advertisements

We are considering moving to Seattle soon.
We have one boy who will be starting high school 2010.
Our budget is around $500,000 max. We want to be around good community area with good high school.
Any advise for decent area and good church too?

We are trying to move out of Orange County CA area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2009, 10:53 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,328,182 times
Maple Valley has good schools, lot of churches, is pretty, and has a lots of houses for under 500,000.
It would be a bit of a commute to Seattle or the Eastside, where most of the jobs are.
The eastside has good schools. That includes Bellevue, Kirkland,Redmond, and Issaquah. You don't get quite as much house for your money as in Maple Valley, but the commute would be easier.

Old 12-18-2009, 04:09 PM

124 posts, read 368,783 times
Don't know about the church, but anywhere north of Seattle generally has good schools. On the eastside, Redmond, Issaquah, Bellevue all have excellent schools.

Old 12-18-2009, 04:30 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,687 posts, read 57,985,728 times
get close to a college where you can utilize "Running Start" INSTEAD of HS grades 11 & 12. It was/is a 'godsend' for my own kids and numerous others.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Running_Start
http://www.k12.wa.us/runningstart/default.aspx (broken link)
http://www.epinions.com/content_4844134532

One of my kids wanted to do HS too, so... no problem. There are 24 hrs / day, so as long as they got the AA degree by HS graduation it was fine with me to do both (as well as work PT, work on our farm and income pros, and do varsity sports, drama, and music). It worked well and 3.8+ gpa in both programs (4.0 at HS of course, because it is taught to lowest denominator) My kids went directly into U's as full Jrs, saving them LOTS of student loans. (100% self paid college). They both were very successful at college, which I attribute the preliminary study and social skills learned in Running Start were big contributors. (kids were asked to be tutors at RS, so that helped to, tutoring adults BEFORE college, gives a REAL perspective of what NOT to do with your life.)

HS really is 'burning daylight' for most kids. (JMHO... kids should be 'indentured' as apprentices in Jr, High to learn a trade, then do vocational or college prep INSTEAD of HS.) I just finished another degree (post age 50) and the quality of kids in University is pathetic, almost as bad as the quality of profs. Regardless of college aspirations, having a skill and some work experience MAY prove more beneficial than the social nightmare of Jr and SR high school.

Churches vary, but definately look into Mar's Hill locations. They have an engaged community ministry. Mars Hill Church

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 12-18-2009 at 04:50 PM..

Old 12-18-2009, 05:43 PM

1,930 posts, read 6,532,477 times
I would ditto all of the areas mentioned for good schools in that price range. We live in Sammamish and attend Issaquah Schools. Our kids will go to Skyline HS but Issaquah HS is also just terrific. You can go to the Washington State Report Card website to check out HS's.

Washington State Report Card

As far as churches go, on the Eastside we attend Overlake Christian Church in Redmond (Love God // Love People // Serve the World // > INDEX). Other churches that are non-denominational are Timberlake Christian Church, Westminster Chapel, Mars Hill , Antioch Bible Church and Crossroads Bible Church. Of course there are many more but these are the better known churches with vibrant communities IMO. There is a bit of a spectrum in terms of fundamentalism in these churches that are listed but the great thing is you can check them all out online and listen to sermons, etc. DM me if you need more info.

Good luck!

Old 12-19-2009, 10:54 AM

2 posts, read 4,850 times
Thank you all so much for the info.
Its been a great help and I really appreciate all of you for the response.
Have a great and blissful day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area