Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 03:03 PM

1,053 posts, read 3,089,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41Willys View Post
Not married but have a 12 year old daughter. I will have a little money in savings to keep me afloat for a little while. I just graduated tech school a year ago and am struggling, but it's to be expected rite out of school. (Tech) If i'm gonna struggle I mite as well be happy where I'm at and tech jobs can be had in Seattle just like here. And I believe it will be a plus for my daughter there.

I'm 90% sure I can do it.
Great attitude...it's good that you will have a tech degree. I have to say that Tony is right though...it's not easy to make it in Seattle, especially without a job. I've lived here all my life, do not have a degree, have a decent job, but certainly would have a better one with a degree.

I'm looking to move to TX next year because my options on affordable/decent housing here are running out. I am single and have alot of kids though, so you are definitely better off than I.

My advice is to do your best to find something before you move. If you don't, there is always state assistance as well if you are not above that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2011, 08:58 PM

1,696 posts, read 5,192,275 times
WOW! This thread is 4 years old and still want Seattle! My daughter is a junior in HS so I have 2 more years. I have a great job that pays well and has exposed me to tremendous experience. I will interview before moving out to the PNW.

Old 10-25-2011, 07:40 AM

123 posts, read 245,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis1077 View Post
The plan is to come with lots of savings, establish residency, begin grad school, find a teacher job. I don't mind living in a crawl space of an apartment and being poor. If I can afford a few beers on my day off I'm happy.

Now that's the right attitude. My son is also in education, and
sweating finding something when the student teaching year is up.

Old 10-25-2011, 10:58 PM

7 posts, read 13,217 times
I'll be moving to Seattle soon...I hope I can find a good bartending gig to get me through school. I made the mistake of leaving Texas to move to Boise...now all my savings have been spent because finding anything here to do is next to impossible. I almost wanna give up, stick my stuff in storage and go back to work in TX before going to Seattle, but to survive in TX, you MUST have a reliable car with an awesome a/c and my car wont make the trip. I'm landlocked!

Old 10-26-2011, 08:31 AM

251 posts, read 572,074 times
I moved here without a job a year ago, and it took me a month to find a job. Not too shabby.

Old 10-26-2011, 12:57 PM

22 posts, read 47,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinitylove View Post
I moved here without a job a year ago, and it took me a month to find a job. Not too shabby.

how much did you save up before moving to Seattle? I plan on moving there before late April.

Old 10-27-2011, 08:18 AM

251 posts, read 572,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostwriterz View Post
how much did you save up before moving to Seattle? I plan on moving there before late April.
Ha! Savings?? I had about $500. But....we had an advantage seeing as how we stayed with family for 2 months before getting our own place.

Old 10-27-2011, 12:30 PM

710 posts, read 1,397,617 times
This will be me next year if I don't find a job beforehand. I've saved like mad the last few years and have almost 40K saved so far. I'll be moving next June (was March, but don't want to deal with Winter drive) and will be enrolling in a certificate program at UW in September. That way, I can keep my skills current while looking for a job and not have a big gap in between job or education. Since it's in the evenings, I can continue it even when I do find one. In fact, if I get a job there before the move, I'll still enroll in it to refresh my current skills and learn some new ones! The way I see it is if I don't find something in a year, at least I'll have a certificate to show for it. I don't think it will get to that point though. I'm pretty confident I can find some sort of work in a year.

But yeah, without the certificate program I don't know if I would feel as confident moving. I need something to keep me busy and don't want all that free time solely looking for work. Also I feel employers will be more cautious if you are out of work and not doing anything really productive in your downtime. I feel this is the best solution to stay current and keep busy!

Last edited by mrman78; 10-27-2011 at 12:38 PM..

Old 10-28-2011, 11:49 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,163,488 times
Temp jobs used to be very big in Seattle, I suppose they still are. If you're willing to get up early and phone in or show up (phone in to a nice place, show up for manual labor), you can usually get enough to scrape by, and hopefully get hired permanently at one of the places.

I never did get a permanent job in Seattle, but that's because I had some medical problems etc. Some people I knew got something steady almost immediately, others did temp work for more than a year.

Old 10-31-2011, 03:01 PM

1,523 posts, read 3,900,906 times
We came here in March 2011. My husband found a great FT job with benefits a rung up the ladder within 6 weeks. He had another offer for a FT job from the temp work he did for a company while he was waiting for the offer from the first company to come through. I worked temp jobs and was offered a FT job, but I turned down the offer because I thought the guy was not anyone I would want to work for. To be honest, after my husband got his second offer, I stopped looking hard. We both were interviewing almost every business day of the week from the moment we landed.

We had about $20k saved + $5000 credit (if needed). All moving expenses were paid in cash. No car loan, no credit card debt, no mortgage, etc. We lived in an extended stay hotel for two months with reduced rates. Oh and we have a 5 year old, so yes, this type of move is possible with at least one kid. I don't know if I would recommend more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area