Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 04:30 PM

1,930 posts, read 6,513,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by svartkatt View Post
IMO most of us here are more concerned about where to go hiking this coming weekend than what political party is doing what to whom My neighbors and I have never discussed politics. I know that we have differing political views (based on the election signs they put up in their yards), and yet we all get along just great, have neighborhood picnics, share gardening tips and tools, do block watch, kvetch about the one really trashy house on our street, etc.
True, true. Though I live in the Eastside and people tend to be more involved in local politics that don't necessarily fall into the party lines...think school bonds/levies, City Council, School Board etc. which are generally non-partisan.

I am pretty conservative and worried much of how I would fit in in liberal Seattle. It hasn't been a problem for me...but I am also pretty respectful of people's opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2010, 06:03 PM

75 posts, read 253,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texastrigirl View Post

I am pretty conservative and worried much of how I would fit in in liberal Seattle. It hasn't been a problem for me...but I am also pretty respectful of people's opinions.
Agreed, I'm in the very same boat.
From past trips though I got into some debates with a couple people
and everyone seemed to be respectful on opinions. But I never attacked
anyone for their beliefs either like some city tend to......
....(CHICAGO - Super big deal to disagree with Mr. Obama)

Old 01-13-2010, 06:53 PM

217 posts, read 559,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnab gib View Post
And they're the ones who claim to be open-minded, tolerant, and liberal. As a libertarian, I am NOT looking forward to this aspect of Seattle when I move out there.
I think when alot of people hear "libertarian" they think "glen beck".
I know glen beck can raise the ire of many.

Old 01-13-2010, 07:40 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,641,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godhead View Post
I think when alot of people hear "libertarian" they think "glen beck".
I know glen beck can raise the ire of many.
I don't know much about Glenn Beck, but I was under the impression that he was a neocon in favor of an active foreign policy. If he's calling himself a libertarian, no wonder people are confused ... or irked.

Old 01-13-2010, 08:35 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,234,771 times
And there are libertarians who fall on both sides of the spectrum. I think of myself as a left wing libertarian, but there are many people who consider themselves libertarian and very conservative.

Old 01-13-2010, 08:51 PM

75 posts, read 253,793 times
lol, don't talk about Glen to much...he may cry again! lol or boil a frog alive.

Old 01-14-2010, 04:43 PM

5,459 posts, read 12,192,339 times
You'll have to find the pockets of conservatives, but they're around. There are a few conservative talk radio stations and you find out about events and get togethers that way, and that's the best way to meet like-minded people. This link might help: Freedom Accountability Transparency Free Market Budget - The Evergreen Freedom Foundation ...because Freedom Matters :: Evergreen Freedom Foundation (http://www.effwa.org/main/page.php - broken link)

Old 01-14-2010, 05:44 PM

2,352 posts, read 2,264,547 times
Listen to Dori Monson on 97.3 FM You'll love the little punk. (he really is just a little punk from Ballard) He's a hard core RW'er who loves to hear himself talk.

Old 01-14-2010, 05:54 PM

5,459 posts, read 12,192,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCallMeTC View Post
Listen to Dori Monson on 97.3 FM You'll love the little punk. (he really is just a little punk from Ballard) He's a hard core RW'er who loves to hear himself talk.
See? There you go. You're a conservative or libertarian and suddenly you're attached to "hard core right wingers." Welcome to Seattle. I'm talking about more moderate conservatives like Michael Medved or David Boze.

Old 01-14-2010, 06:01 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,234,771 times
If I'm not mistaken, Michael Medved lives in Seattle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area