U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-25-2010, 03:46 PM

69 posts, read 90,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
Your experiences are unfortunate, but it doesn't make it a fact for everyone. It all boils down to stupidity. It just so happens that you dealt with those who are religious nuts, anti-gov't nuts, et c. It doesn't mean all those who are Republicans/Conservative are nuts.

You have gang-bangers who point their guns at people as well, does this mean they're Conservative/Republican? No, they don't do it out of political ideals. They do it for the intimidation factor, for retribution, for their gangs, et c. Again it all boils down to stupidity.

Go to the OKC forum and talk about this, I am sure you'll have people who are all "What? No, that doesn't happen here." And it's not any less true for them. Maybe they haven't experienced it themselves, but believe their city has grown away from that. Who knows?

(Though, on the side-note, I am NOT saying all people with guns are stupid. Just that you do have some people that do not practice responsible gun ownership.)
Very much agreed!!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2010, 04:05 PM

1,274 posts, read 2,616,258 times
Certainly. There are many Republicans in the Eastern Suburban areas, Southern Surburban areas, and Magnolia and Queen Anne. There are many Mormons in the Seattle area and Mormons tend to be 9-to-1 Republicans.

Old 01-25-2010, 04:46 PM

11,837 posts, read 9,427,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCallMeTC View Post
Well apparently you read peoples minds too. Quite the gift.

The real reason I asked, is because anyone who listens to RW radio and proclaims that it seems that liberals are bashing conservatives all the time is in serious denial. If you do listen, you can't possibly sit there and tell me that Rush Limbaugh and his ilk are saying nice things (pretty much ever) about liberals.

And those same listeners often parrot what they hear. And guess what? There are a ton more conservative listeners than there are liberal. Do the math.

There's plenty to go around. And believe me, the conservatives have some serious red asses right now because they're no longer in control. That is just the way it works.
+1 Well said

Old 01-25-2010, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
+1 Well said
lol, yeah Well said! I guess?

Pretty much that's what I'm talking about.
Liberals attack the conservative and when the conservative makes a point about it, they attack them more with "Well you guys talk more about us" and High Five each other with "They don't know what there talking about, so lets just ignore them because there ignorant!" Because their just mad there not in power!! Ha Ha He He!

Lol, I'm just kidding with you guys, but I just think it's funny.

Old 01-25-2010, 07:08 PM

11,837 posts, read 9,427,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefftpr View Post
lol, yeah Well said! I guess?

Pretty much that's what I'm talking about.
Liberals attack the conservative and when the conservative makes a point about it, they attack them more with "Well you guys talk more about us" and High Five each other with "They don't know what there talking about, so lets just ignore them because there ignorant!" Because their just mad there not in power!! Ha Ha He He!

Lol, I'm just kidding with you guys, but I just think it's funny.
Really? All that? LOL

Old 01-25-2010, 07:48 PM

yup ,lol

Old 01-25-2010, 08:14 PM

3,799 posts, read 4,594,576 times
Back to the OP's question Seattle has little conservative/Republican influence which is fine with me so long as it stays in Seattle, but my issue with Seattle politics is it pulls the rest of the state too far left for my tastes.
I just heard today some Seattle state senator who chairs a commitee will try to abolish the death penalty in the state. I don't think this reflects the majority thinking in this state but Seattle being so powerful in state politics means it may just get rammed through.
But you live with the good and the bad. I love the city overall and don't begrudge liberals having their political enclave in Seattle, I just wish it didn't dominate state politics so much.

Old 01-26-2010, 12:59 PM

86 posts, read 149,431 times
Well the Seattle Metropolitan area holds just over half of Washington State's population, so it's not like there isn't good reason for it to "dominate" state politics.

I agree that abolishing the death penalty probably doesn't reflect the majority opinion in the state, because even a lot of Liberals don't have a full understanding of the issue. Abolishing the death penalty is one of those issues where, on it's face, it sounds like a bad idea. But if you are to actually study the facts and figures with an open mind, and examine your liberties, you will probably come up with a different opinion. It's similar to the legalization of marijuana. On it's face, it sounds bad to legalize a drug, but when you actually study the issue, there is near zero logical reasons to keep it illegal.

But I would sure support abolishing the death penalty.

Back to the OP: Of course there are Conservatives. There are a lot of Ron Paul Republicans, fiscal conservatives and Libertarians. Those taking a principled stand. You may be hard pressed to find any Rush Limbaugh, Glenn Beck Republicans though. Likely because this area is fairly well educated, and are smart enough to reject the fear mongering idiocy coming for their mouths. Also due to education levels, you're likely to see a lot more Athiests in the Seattle area.

Last edited by nikdahl; 01-26-2010 at 01:07 PM.. Reason: everything starting "Back to the OP"

Old 01-26-2010, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikdahl View Post
Also due to education levels, you're likely to see a lot more Athiests in the Seattle area.
Yeah you have to be uneducated and stupid to believe in God!

Old 01-26-2010, 04:43 PM

263 posts, read 300,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefftpr View Post
Yeah you have to be uneducated and stupid to believe in God!
Not exactly, but....

The more educated you are, the more likely you are to be an atheist. The least educated tend to be the most religious.

Are you disputing that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area