Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 08:24 PM

7 posts, read 61,114 times

Advertisements

We are scheduled to move from AZ to WA in July. I have heard ALOT of bad things about some of the areas, i.e. Renton, Kent etc. Which is obviously more affordable. I do not know which way to go anymore. I am looking to get out of the heat and call me crazy but I love rain. I don't want my kids around gangs and such and one is in high school and other is 10. Can anyone help me. Seems to be good job market there I just do not want to make a BIG HUGE mistake!!! HELP!!!!! Only other choice is Austin TX and the job market sucks there I think!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2007, 09:39 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,043,053 times
Hi AZFamly, welcome!

Yes, Renton and Kent are usually considered less desirable but there are areas within both cities that are not that bad.

If you could narrow it down a little more with specifics it will help to get you more responses.

What is your definition of affordable? Are you planning to rent? Where are you planning to work? Are you concerned about commuting ...how and how long? Etc., etc.

I usually encourage folks to browse the already posted threads to get a feeling of the area and what opinions have already been expressed. Then come back and ask more specific questions and I'm sure you'll get better responses.

Don't go away, stay in touch.

Old 05-25-2007, 10:05 PM

3,225 posts, read 14,058,896 times
"Not that bad" is subjective, I suppose... I wouldn't move my family anywhere South of Seattle... not because it's "bad" but it's certainly not desirable.

I just moved to Austin, from Seattle - the job market here is great. We have an extremely low unemployment rate, and the cost of living is so much lower than WA.

Old 05-25-2007, 10:18 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,043,053 times
Agreed! Not that bad to me could be REALLY bad to someone else! Good point, Jen.

--'rocco

Old 05-27-2007, 05:54 PM
amo

5 posts, read 66,530 times
Bellingham is nice...depending on what you are looking for in the way of employment. Haven't seen any scary looking kids...I left Arizona also, because of the heat and the smog and the crime. We live north of Bellingham in a really rural area. Vancouver is just across the border and has all the cultural stuff.

Old 05-28-2007, 12:31 AM

416 posts, read 2,509,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZFmly View Post
We are scheduled to move from AZ to WA in July. I have heard ALOT of bad things about some of the areas, i.e. Renton, Kent etc. Which is obviously more affordable. I do not know which way to go anymore. I am looking to get out of the heat and call me crazy but I love rain. I don't want my kids around gangs and such and one is in high school and other is 10. Can anyone help me. Seems to be good job market there I just do not want to make a BIG HUGE mistake!!! HELP!!!!! Only other choice is Austin TX and the job market sucks there I think!
Where in AZ are you moving from?

Old 05-29-2007, 12:58 AM

989 posts, read 2,761,464 times
Default It all depends on the neighborhood

There are some great homes in a country club in Federal Way (between $350,000 - Millions), upscale housing in Renton, etc. Renton also has [probably] the worst crime area in the county (just south of Seattle, the Westernmost part of the city).

I suggest you rent a nice place for a couple months and really explore the neighborhoods (in daylight and at night) before you decide on a house.

Old 05-29-2007, 05:18 PM

5 posts, read 21,068 times
check into Spokane WA...other side of the mountains, different attitiude

Old 05-29-2007, 06:18 PM

52 posts, read 210,611 times
Do you live in WA now? I live in AZ and am thinking of moving to Spokane.

Old 06-02-2007, 01:26 PM

7 posts, read 61,114 times
Default Moving from AZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_singlemother View Post
Where in AZ are you moving from?
Litchfield Park (near Luke Air Force Base)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area