Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 08:25 PM

2 posts, read 18,501 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are moving to Seattle this summer, and are considering a place in Belltown (at Western and Vine). We've been reading up on the area and are a bit concerned about discussions regarding the safety of Belltown. Would I (as a 27 year old woman) feel safe walking around that immediate area, to and from Pike Place Market, and jogging along the nearby bike trail? I don't intend to be walking around after midnight much, but I'm mostly concerned that I won't feel safe living normally in my neighborhood -- being out and about before 10 pm at night.

Any advice would be helpful!! I currently live in downtown Austin, so I understand the difference between an urban and suburban lifestyle.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2010, 12:04 AM

1,930 posts, read 6,532,885 times
I moved here from Southwest Austin in July 2007 (lived in Austin 10 years) and I now live on the Eastside of Seattle. I only lived in downtown Seattle (at Harbor Steps) while waiting to move into our house. I had two little boys with me too, so I wasn't out late at night!! But having spent a good bit of time in downtown Austin and a small amount of time in Belltown after dark, my perception is that Belltown is not safe after dark (which is why I avoid it or I use valet parking). I often read online or hear on the news of yet another shooting or beating in Belltown...it gets shady fast after dark and I really steered my father in law away from there when he moved here (he ended up in Queen Anne). Anyway, my opinion. You might consider Ballard or Queen Anne but in general downtown Seattle is not going to be as safe as downtown Austin. It is 3x the size for one and the crime goes up expotentially. You might also consider living in Bellevue if you like the night life but want an area that is a bit safer. Hope this helps and certainly consider other opinions. I would also call the Seattle PD. I think they publish crime stats online.

Old 02-01-2010, 02:14 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,850,813 times
I find that parts of Belltown (especially around 3rd Ave.) are pretty sketchy. We had a place in Belltown when we first moved to the Seattle area, and I did not feel comfortable in the area after dark.

The area you're considering, though, is a bit nicer, and I actually didn't even realize that was Belltown. I would definitely feel more comfortable at Western and Vine than where we were (4th and Blanchard). Also one of my favorite breakfast places is close to where you'll be, CJ's on the corner of 1st and Cedar.

Old 02-01-2010, 02:37 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,600,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angeldish View Post
My husband and I are moving to Seattle this summer, and are considering a place in Belltown (at Western and Vine). We've been reading up on the area and are a bit concerned about discussions regarding the safety of Belltown. Would I (as a 27 year old woman) feel safe walking around that immediate area, to and from Pike Place Market, and jogging along the nearby bike trail? I don't intend to be walking around after midnight much, but I'm mostly concerned that I won't feel safe living normally in my neighborhood -- being out and about before 10 pm at night.

Any advice would be helpful!! I currently live in downtown Austin, so I understand the difference between an urban and suburban lifestyle.

Thanks!
During the day, you're fine. There are a lot of bars around there, so nighttime noise is a consideration.

Old 02-02-2010, 09:13 AM
h8n

64 posts, read 208,734 times
I moved here from Austin this past October. I live in Belltown currently 1/2 way between Seattle Center & Pikes Market. Safe is the last label I'd give this place. It reminds me 100% of Portland's Pearl district in 2001. An area full of homeless hangouts & handouts is where yuppies decided to build hip condos. Now you have a huge flux of yuppies living in locked front door buildings with meth & crack dealers on the corner. Anyone who doubts me needs to walk out to the corner of Bell & 3rd any evening after 7PM. Every 10 ft you here "You straight?", which is speak for "You need to buy anything?"

I'm not saying it's not a cool place to be. The convenience to everything (bars, work, Seattle Center, the market, downtown, the sound, etc) is amazing. However, you didn't ask about a cool place... you asked about safety. Good luck.

That being said.... crime in the NW is not like crime you think about in cities. In the NW, there is a large amount of petty crime (theft, drugs, etc). I grew up between Houston & New Orleans, went to college in Chicago, & have lived in Austin the last 3 years. In those areas, crime means murder, rape, beatings, etc. You don't get that much here in the NW. You get a lot of sketchy drugged homeless people that make you feel uncomfortable when they ask for money with their lack of teeth due to meth. You have a lot of dealers on the street making their income. You get a lot of cars being broken into. Note I didn't say anything about gangs or robberies or murders. You don't get a lot of that here. Thus, when you hear about high crime here don't think about crime in other cities. Having lived in New Orleans & Chicago, I feel safe walking through the worst part of Seattle so long as I don't have my wallet or any cash on me to be taken.

Last edited by h8n; 02-02-2010 at 09:35 AM..

Old 02-02-2010, 03:43 PM

807 posts, read 2,257,598 times
Im a 26 y/o male and have lived downtown for 4 years and have never felt unsafe. My brother and his girlfriend are 23 and have lived at 4th and Battery for 2 years and have never had a problem. Seems to me the only people that find trouble are the ones who are looking for it. You can find the rowdiest group of "youths" on the sidewalk and walk right through them and nothing will ever happen. People just keep to themselves...

Old 02-02-2010, 04:34 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,377,194 times
Not that my opinion here carries too much weight as I've not lived there but I'll give you my brief impression I got from it.

As mentioned, during the day it's fine. As it starts to get dark some shady characters start to appear. Now for me personally, I just became more wary and figured I should go back to the hotel. I didn't really feel like I was in that much danger. I just didn't like the street company I suddenly found myself in. How safe you feel will depend on where you've lived or been before. For me the downtowns of San Francisco and Los Angeles are scary ass places at night! LA even during the day. Overall Seattle seemed to have about the same level of feeling safe as San Diego does. It's downtown felt about as safe as SD's or Oakland's (downtown Oakland is surprisingly not bad at all).

I think that the fact that you may hear about beatings or whatever is because Seattle is generally safe and stuff like that is not the norm. It's like when I was there they made such a big deal about the armed robberies in Green Lake. Other cities wouldn't bother reporting crimes like that as they are so much more common. Hope my two cents helped lol

Old 02-02-2010, 09:04 PM

2 posts, read 18,501 times
Thank you all for your opinions! I guess we'll have to check it ourselves and decide about our comfort level. I've lived in uptown Dallas which I'm thinking is similar to Belltown. I just want to make sure Belltown isn't Dallas' Deep Ellum. Again, thanks for all of your input -- it's much appreciated!

Old 02-03-2010, 03:23 PM

1,930 posts, read 6,532,885 times
Angeldish, I lived in Dallas too, White Rock Lake area ... Belltown IS NOT Uptown. Not nearly as nice overall. (Side note: gonna be eating at Breadwinners in a few weeks, woo hoo!). Belltown IS Deep Ellum.

Old 02-04-2010, 02:10 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,539,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h8n View Post
You get a lot of sketchy drugged homeless people that make you feel uncomfortable when they ask for money with their lack of teeth due to meth. You have a lot of dealers on the street making their income. You get a lot of cars being broken into.
Not trying to sound dense or naive, but don't the police patrol regularly? I mean, these folks aren't always doing anyone any harm, but at the same time, I wouldn't necessarily look forward to getting out & about if I had to negotiate this gauntlet either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area