U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 05:26 PM

29 posts, read 57,188 times

Advertisements

Recent college grad here who wants to find some work in the Seattle area. Im thinking of going to some temp agencies as well as craigslist.

Anyone who has experience with these venues could you share, are there specific jobs or companies that test?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2010, 01:08 AM

2,654 posts, read 7,327,813 times
I haven't worked for a temp agency.

But the jobs I have had here ALL required a pre-employment drug test. All of them. I'm a gardener.

Because of the widespread cultural tolerance for recreational drug use in Seattle and widespread recreational pot smoking, most business (possibly required by their insurers) do drug testing.

Count on it.

Old 02-05-2010, 10:12 AM

8,331 posts, read 14,847,588 times
There's a big difference between pre-employment testing and random testing. Random testing is just that, so you might not have time to ahem "prepare", but if it's a pre-employment test I have heard that there are ways to bring certain drug levels down to undetectable levels, unless, I suppose, you've ingested 10 bong hits per day for the last 25 years.

Old 02-05-2010, 01:32 PM

29 posts, read 57,188 times
Great, now I'm gonna have to wait about 30 days with absolutely nothing to do, lol. Thanks for the info.

A friend of mine also told me that all staffing/temp agencies test.

Still if anyone out there still has any other specific experiences I would really like to hear.

Old 02-05-2010, 04:04 PM

I actually saw a landscaping job ad for the east side last summer, part time, no benefits, not exactly the opportunity of a lifetime.....that stated candidates under consideration for the position would be required to submit hair samples for drug testing.

30 days won't help you there. (unless you shave your head)

Old 02-05-2010, 08:25 PM

5,012 posts, read 6,530,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
I actually saw a landscaping job ad for the east side last summer, part time, no benefits, not exactly the opportunity of a lifetime.....that stated candidates under consideration for the position would be required to submit hair samples for drug testing.

30 days won't help you there. (unless you shave your head)
Can they request the "other" types of hair on the human body for testing?

Old 02-05-2010, 11:03 PM

8,331 posts, read 14,847,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
Can they request the "other" types of hair on the human body for testing?
Eyebrow?

Old 02-06-2010, 12:22 AM

Can they Constitutionally pluck your eyebrows at a job interview?

Old 02-06-2010, 06:22 AM

679 posts, read 870,240 times
wow what a strange world we live in. Recent college grad that probably spent thousands of hours and dollars to attain an education to succeed in life is willing to settle for some moronic job so they can continue a recreational drug habit. I know this may not be the case here but if it is I'm just giving my reaction.

Old 02-11-2010, 12:39 PM

86 posts, read 160,030 times
Interesting.. my thoughts were similar, except I was thinking what a strange world we live in, that a well educated person would be disqualified from employment simply because he choose to use recreational drugs in his/her free time.

fiveten: For what it's worth, I've never been drug tested for any of my jobs (IT industry). I can't find info on it now, but I believe Microsoft took a principled stand against drug testing for employment early on.

The most common reason an employer would drug test is because their medical insurance or liability insurance provider requires it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area