Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 02:02 PM

141 posts, read 479,892 times

Advertisements

Me and my wife will be Moving to the Seattle area at the end of March, i am orginally from Philly lived in Chicago for a few years I am currently living in Dayton Ohio.How is the traffic comming from Belleuve to dowtown,and is there a bus i can catch between the two cities. Thanks i really look foward to the move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2010, 03:01 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,330,094 times
There are a whole lot of buses one can catch between Seattle and Bellevue. Buses use the carpool/transit lane. Otherwise the traffic can be horrible, especially on SR 520.

Old 02-09-2010, 08:43 PM

197 posts, read 612,577 times
Just keep in mind that if you are using public transportation, you will probably be standing in the rain, wind, and mist 9 months out of the year before and after work.
Look into Vanpools instead.

Old 02-09-2010, 09:40 PM

1,632 posts, read 6,841,325 times
It's not that bad, especially if you're originating from a P&R with shelter, or the Bellevue Transit Center. If you're taking a route like 550 from downtown Seattle to Bellevue, you'll wait in the tunnel for your outbound bus - no rain, no wind, no problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burlshoe114 View Post
Just keep in mind that if you are using public transportation, you will probably be standing in the rain, wind, and mist 9 months out of the year before and after work.

Old 02-09-2010, 11:17 PM

457 posts, read 1,344,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burlshoe114 View Post
Every bus stop i've been to is sheltered.

Old 02-09-2010, 11:21 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,850,813 times
It's true that most of the bus stops are sheltered, but you're likely going to have to walk to get to those bus stops. My husband works downtown, and to come home, he has to walk like 3 or 4 blocks to get a bus home. So, while the stop is sheltered when he gets there, there's still a few blocks of walking in the wet and cold.

Old 02-10-2010, 12:39 AM

253 posts, read 967,474 times
MichaelinWA said it best! Plus that 550 runs every 10 minutes or so during business hours...pretty good system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelinWA View Post
It's not that bad, especially if you're originating from a P&R with shelter, or the Bellevue Transit Center. If you're taking a route like 550 from downtown Seattle to Bellevue, you'll wait in the tunnel for your outbound bus - no rain, no wind, no problem.

Old 02-10-2010, 07:56 AM
h8n

64 posts, read 208,734 times
Although it doesn't compare to Portland's mass transit, Seattle's bus system is excellent. I live in Bellevue & work in downtown Seattle. I bike or drive to a park & ride then take a 30 min bus ride to downtown Seattle then bike or walk from the park & ride to work. Up here, you wear rain gear when biking. Everyone talks about rain, but it doesn't rain here..... it mists. Even though it "rains" 3/4 of the year here, Seattle actually gets < rain / yr than Houston, Chicago, & New York. The NW doesn't understand down-poors you experience elseware.

Old 02-10-2010, 09:56 AM

301 posts, read 1,435,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeronikaW View Post
It's true that most of the bus stops are sheltered, but you're likely going to have to walk to get to those bus stops. My husband works downtown, and to come home, he has to walk like 3 or 4 blocks to get a bus home. So, while the stop is sheltered when he gets there, there's still a few blocks of walking in the wet and cold.
Sorry, but isn't that what most people have to do in big cities?... as far as I know, standing around in an East Coast city waiting for a bus is not pleasant in the winter, either!

Old 02-10-2010, 11:48 AM

698 posts, read 1,508,990 times
The bus system is alright. Compared to most cities its size and around the world, Seattle has a very poor public transit system. If you want to travel inside Seattle via transit you can get to pretty much every place in the city 30 minutes tops. The second you try to leave the city however that's when problems arise. Unless you live near a transit station that goes directly to downtown, moving between cities is a pain. I used the bus for a long time and then recently bought a car cause there was just to much hassle involved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area