U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 09:26 AM

301 posts, read 813,035 times
I grew up in the Northshore district and later taught high school there as well; it really is an excellent district. Like you, however, my husband and I don't want to be in the suburbs, and we don't want to fork out the dough for private school in the city (I also just dislike the whole idea of private school, some kind of gut feeling I guess). So, we hope that by buying a place in the Bryant-Eckstein-Roosevelt area, at least we will have options in 7-8 years when we have kids and they are finally school age... but a lot could change by then, too.

I completely agree that the amount of effort you put in to something is what makes the experience, and I plan to pass that on to our kids as well. I went to a so-so high school (for Northshore, anyway), and a lot of my peers didn't like their experience there... we also didn't have AP. But some friends and I would petition for the creation of advanced science classes, for example, and it would happen--things like that are what made my HS experience great. One of my good friends in that group easily got into Stanford, and is now completing her MD/PhD at Harvard... not too shabby, considering all her science education came from lowly public schools. Not to mention she's just a nicer person than most of her colleagues who attended prep academies (mostly out East)!

I also student-taught at Ballard High School, and I was impresses with the faculty and students there... very motivated, and I would send my own kids there without a secnd thought. Whitman Middle School was not terribly impressive, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2010, 07:21 PM

9 posts, read 17,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caravan View Post
I grew up in the Northshore district and later taught high school there as well; it really is an excellent district. Like you, however, my husband and I don't want to be in the suburbs, and we don't want to fork out the dough for private school in the city (I also just dislike the whole idea of private school, some kind of gut feeling I guess). So, we hope that by buying a place in the Bryant-Eckstein-Roosevelt area, at least we will have options in 7-8 years when we have kids and they are finally school age... but a lot could change by then, too.

I completely agree that the amount of effort you put in to something is what makes the experience, and I plan to pass that on to our kids as well. I went to a so-so high school (for Northshore, anyway), and a lot of my peers didn't like their experience there... we also didn't have AP. But some friends and I would petition for the creation of advanced science classes, for example, and it would happen--things like that are what made my HS experience great. One of my good friends in that group easily got into Stanford, and is now completing her MD/PhD at Harvard... not too shabby, considering all her science education came from lowly public schools. Not to mention she's just a nicer person than most of her colleagues who attended prep academies (mostly out East)!

I also student-taught at Ballard High School, and I was impresses with the faculty and students there... very motivated, and I would send my own kids there without a secnd thought. Whitman Middle School was not terribly impressive, though.

I'm also a product of the Northshore School District - circa mid-'80's... Where did you go to school - and which school?

Old 02-13-2010, 11:34 PM

301 posts, read 813,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontBelieveTheHype View Post
I'm also a product of the Northshore School District - circa mid-'80's... Where did you go to school - and which school?
Graduated from BHS--mid 90s. You?

Old 02-14-2010, 07:09 AM

9 posts, read 17,041 times
BHS '85 - wouldn't have considered it "so-so" then. But - as I understand - Inglemoor has become a premier academic school in the district. As much as I like the area, I just can't get myself to accept a commute from the suburbs (unless I determine that schools leave NO option).

Old 02-14-2010, 09:03 AM

8,200 posts, read 14,302,454 times
Oh, I don't think there's NO options in the Seattle Public Schools. I'm not one to ever defend Seattle Public schools, as they are indeed a perennially screwed up organization. It's been a long time since I've been a Seattle Public school parent, but had kids in Garfield and NOVA. Garfield was ( and is?) essentially two schools in one. The APP kids upstairs, and everyone else downstairs. It kind of works, but if you took the APP kids out of the equation, the test scores would be much lower.
NOVA is for the more creative types and for those who don't thrive in a typical classroom situation. My son did really well there.

Old 01-10-2011, 02:22 PM

576 posts, read 600,690 times
I too am moving to Seattle, this summer with children entering 9th and 6th grades, also coming from private school. Like you, we do not want the suburbs although we have been planning and studying up on the schools for over a year. Although Bellevue had 2 or 3 high schools ranked in the top 20 in the nation, we just don't want the commute. We've also decided we are through with private schools and the High Schools we liked were Roosevelt/Ballard/Hale and the middle schools were Eckstein and Hamilton International. As it is now we pay quite a lot, and have since preschool for our two, plus have very long commute times to these schools, and we are looking forward to living next to a school we can get to quickly.

We are coming out a few times between now and the summer to actually tour these schools. I am hoping to find housing close by and be involved through volunteering, so that may be the best thing for you.........tour the schools, live nearby and be heavily involved.

I also know that because of the fact that Bellvue and other school districts nearby have such stellar reputations, nationally not just locally, that Seattle school district may seem to pale in comparison.......but I believe it is just in competition with best of the best.

If you are in my position and coming from one of the worst, most underfunded and bloated school districts in the nation, then Seattle looks like a dream.

A question for anybody......why did they close down the Queen Ann high school and turn it residential?? It was such a beautiful building. Don't all of Magnolia and Queen Ann kids have to commute to Ballard high anyway? Queen Ann would have been closer, I'd think.......

Old 01-10-2011, 02:44 PM

5,518 posts, read 6,208,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyhunting View Post

A question for anybody......why did they close down the Queen Ann high school and turn it residential?? It was such a beautiful building. Don't all of Magnolia and Queen Ann kids have to commute to Ballard high anyway? Queen Ann would have been closer, I'd think.......
That school closed 30 years ago due to declining numbers of students. You're right, it's a magnificent building.

Ballard is only about a 15 min. drive from QA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area