U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 02-20-2010, 11:39 AM

197 posts, read 316,093 times
Well, I have been beating this drum forever and just get called a liar when I talk about my experiences with drug use in Seattle, but I work in a Seattle neighborhood ER as a nurse, and every day we deal with drug seekers and drug users coming in looking for percocet and dilaudid. They are usually unemployed people in their 20s, but we do see some older and some younger. Harborview has it way worse.
It is very present in Seattle in all areas, but I have been looking hard to find a place anymore that doesn't have a big drug population, and can't seem to find it anywhere. Seattle is probably going to be the same as any other place you can come from or go to. My neighbor to the right of me has a son who uses crushed Percocet and doesn't have a problem saying so. My step-daughter learned to use cocaine here in Brier going to Mountlake Terrace High School (We didn't find out about this until after she moved out - It isn't something she was bragging about and they kept it very hush-hush). I work in North Seattle, and like I said, we see it every day.
America seems to have two opinions about it - either they are ambivilant to the problem because either they don't see it personally in their own circles or they just think it is normal and nothing can be done about it, or they think it is cute and cool and anti-establishment.
Seattle is very tollerant of this kind of behavior and for what ever reasons seems to not want to address this problem. The police don't care because the general population of Seattle doesn't care.
Anyway, my two cents....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 02-20-2010, 06:32 PM

Just adding one more thing -
In today's seattletimes/localnews.com:

17 teens in Richmond busted for dealing drugs, including meth. Some were as young as 15-years-old.

Unread 02-22-2010, 11:41 PM

857 posts, read 575,858 times
Default Drug Abuse Psychiatry And Lifestyle; Mormons And Buddhists

Quote:
Originally Posted by burlshoe114 View Post
Well, I have been beating this drum forever and just get called a liar when I talk about my experiences with drug use in Seattle, but I work in a Seattle neighborhood ER as a nurse, ..... (trucation)
Thanks for your insights and perhaps the best advice as always is a home alarm system, and multiple anti-theft devices per each vehicle ? ? ?

I think that is psychiatric care was free, then perhaps more people would be on anti-depressants / anti-panic disorder meds, and less people would be on drugs.

Unfortunately, in much of the US, psychiatrists refuse to take medical insurance - or - community psychiatric services are inaccessible at the time they are needed (in urgent crisis scenarios when time is of the essence) -- for a variety of reasons, including supply and demand.

And, the Medical establishment has refused to follow Orthomolecular Medicine / Psychiatry, developed by Dr. Abram Hoffer. And, our far left pro-national health care politicians won't observe the Mormons in Utah, where healthy lifestyles (as part of the religion) result in much lower health care costs. I think that tobacco should be made illegal (even financial guru Bob Brinker says this, also read "The Signs Of Jonah" by Everett Triplett).

I think accessibility to state and local care, and lifestyle based on either a religion and/or other belief system (i.e. Buddhism) is the answer.

Unread 02-23-2010, 11:57 AM

Good points -
I am of the opinion that we need to stop looking at symptoms and start looking at causes of drug use. Why are people feeling such a hole in their lives that they need to fill it with a high of some form? A lot of the people we see abusing narcotics aren't the mentally ill (although we do see quite a lot of these people also - these are the people I don't get upset over. They can't help being who they are.). I think a lot of it has to do with personal isolation, hopeless, boredom, and a feeling of being overwhelmed in today's society.
Humans aren't meant to live in anonymous mega-populations of strangers. This is the modern lifestyle. Healthy, stable families are becoming non-existant, and we have no community, in the true sense.

Unread 03-24-2010, 10:28 AM

1 posts, read 1,280 times
You got off on the wrong foot already by saying you don't care about pot. That's because it's probably your drug of choice. They are all bad, and weed addicts are as non-productive and nefarious as any meth addict I've ever met. To be blunt, if you're looking for drugs, you can find them anywhere in America. If you're looking for a solution and want to stop obsessing about drugs, find a place with alot of activities. The more choices there are, the less attractive drugs appear in comparison. If you have kids, don't pretend that drugs are ok or don't exist, but point out how fun or rewarding the alternatives are. Good luck and let us know where you chose to live and if it's what you expected!

Unread 03-24-2010, 04:02 PM

668 posts, read 897,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burlshoe114 View Post
Good points -
I am of the opinion that we need to stop looking at symptoms and start looking at causes of drug use. Why are people feeling such a hole in their lives that they need to fill it with a high of some form? A lot of the people we see abusing narcotics aren't the mentally ill (although we do see quite a lot of these people also - these are the people I don't get upset over. They can't help being who they are.). I think a lot of it has to do with personal isolation, hopeless, boredom, and a feeling of being overwhelmed in today's society.
Humans aren't meant to live in anonymous mega-populations of strangers. This is the modern lifestyle. Healthy, stable families are becoming non-existant, and we have no community, in the true sense.
Reasons vary for drug usage. For some it's a fun, recreational activity; for others it's a means to escape modern day life and self medicate... Now reasons for the escape vary as well. Drugs won't stop, the void in people's lives won't fill (collectively).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area