Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2010, 09:57 AM

2,076 posts, read 4,073,711 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I am headed up to Seattle from Las Vegas on April 1st for a week and will have a couple free days to see the sights and check out the area.

I would like to do spend a day or half day doing some hiking, but I'm not sure what trails might be open. Googling around, it seems like most of the hiking is done in the summer months after the snow melts.

Ideally I'm looking for something 4-8 miles round trip in a wooded type area. Lakes, streams, and beautiful views are a plus. Hopefully I could find this type of hike within an hour or two drive of the seattle area. And it needs to be hikeable without snow (or without too much snow) the first week of April.

I read about Mount Si, Snow Lake, or the Snoqualmie area, but I don't know much about any of those other than the little bit I read online.

Is there anyplace that might work?

Thanks for your suggestions,

Jeff
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2010, 10:18 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,342,201 times
You're probably not going to have snow as a problem as long as you're west of Snoqualmie Pass. Mud, certainly a possibility. Snow, probably not.
But let me make a few suggestions:

Rattlesnake Ledge ( near North Bend) - It's a fun hike, about 2 1/2 hours up and back with spectacular views both at the top and along the way.

Mt Si- gets too crowded, as if all these people are making some kind of religious pilgrimage. If you're a " social climber" and like lots of interaction with other hikers along the way, then maybe. I avoid it like the plague

Cougar Mountain ( near Issaquah): Has several trailheads, Red Town being the most popular, but there's another one on SR 900 between Renton and Issaquah.
This place is huge. Miles and miles and miles of trails. I was there a few months ago at dusk ( after getting lost) and an owl was circling barely overhead, eying my dog as dinner. The dog was completely oblivious, and I made enough noise and made my presence known , and got the owl to leave.

Old 03-04-2010, 08:45 AM

2,076 posts, read 4,073,711 times
Thanks, I did some research and they all look good. We are staying in North Bend a couple nights, so I might check out Rattlesnake Ledge.

Thanks again, that helps a lot.

Old 03-04-2010, 01:41 PM

36 posts, read 153,822 times
I second Rattlesnake Ledge! It's usually my first hike of the season each year. If you continue up past the highest ledge, there is a trail through a very spooky alpine forest and then up along the ridge, so you can turn it into a longer hike if you wish. I think the ledges are about 1.5 miles up the trail, so about 3 miles just to the ledges and back. There is a beautiful lake (Rattlesnake Lake) at the bottom and great views above. Mt. Si is great if you can go on a weekday. It's more intense than Rattlesnake - 8 miles or so RT and has some steep switchbacks. There is often snow up at the very peak, but the trail will be clear then (possibly muddy, though). I only do this trail if I can take a weekday off - weekends are a madhouse there. If you are feeling more adventurous, Granite Mountain is off I-90 and is freaking amazing. Longer and a little more intense than Si, but just outrageous views near the top. Snow at the summit into the summer - we're having a warm winter, though, so trails could be fine by April. Home — Washington Trails Association for good trip/trail reports. Don't forget your Rec Pass (day passes available) if you're going to hike in National Park areas RECREATION PASSES - Discover Your Northwest Online Store (not necessary for Rattlesnake).

Old 03-04-2010, 09:59 PM

1,930 posts, read 6,535,543 times
I third Rattlesnake Ledge!! Great view!! Also check out Franklin Falls (you might need snowshoes still) and I also like Twin Falls though the view is not comparable to RL...still a very nice NW hike. Anywhere on Denny Creek is good...but again, might need snowshoes. If you are staying in North Bend, make sure you hit North Bend Bar and Grill. Love that place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area