Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2010, 08:42 AM

3 posts, read 4,508 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone:

I wanted to solicit your collective advice on relocating to Seattle. I was recently accepted in Seattle U's Law School and wanted your input on neighborhoods, culture, and everything else Seattle. I'm looking for good area's to live that aren't too far away from the school. I've been trying to do some research about the different areas (Capitol Hill, International District, Belltown, Queen Anne, etc), but nothing can match the knowledge of the locals.

Here's a little bit about me to help you tailor your recommendations; I'm coming from South Florida, so the weather will be a change for me, but the cost of living probably won't be. I"m looking forward to being in a more urban environment and the less I can use my car, the better. I'm looking forward to experiencing the culture, outdoors, recreation, restaurants, music, and everything else that makes Seattle unique.

All advice is welcome and appreicated. Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2010, 04:02 PM

121 posts, read 337,230 times
I think for an SU student, the south end of Capitol Hill (Pike/Pine corridor) and the west end of the Central District is the obvious choice. It's the densest hood in Seattle, has frequent transit service and easy access to other parts of the city (such as downtown or the U District), and it has lots of businesses that fit a student's lifestyle. Look for a place around 12th Avenue and Madison Street, or along 15th and north of Madison Street. Also, First Hill along Madison Street is a good choice, a little quieter and less convenient (i.e. further from grocery stores, etc.) than Pike/Pine area.

Good luck!

Old 03-13-2010, 04:04 PM

121 posts, read 337,230 times
I should mention that I live along Pine Street near 15th Avenue, so I know the area well. I don't own a car and don't need one for day-to-day things, like grocery shopping, dry cleaning, etc. So many restaurants and bars are within walking distance.

Old 03-13-2010, 05:07 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,277,328 times
I agree with Under The Clouds.
In addition to his suggestions, there's about six or seven cool, older apartment buildings sort of at the Central District/First Hill/Capitol Hill boundary that might be worth checking out, roughly from around 15th to 17th around Spring Street.The neighborhood's not bad, it's close to Seattle U, and if you have a thing for classic 1920's architecture, check 'em out.

Old 03-13-2010, 07:03 PM

Thank you all for your suggestions and recommendations. I do appreicate it. Any guesses as to the price ranges in this area for 1 bed or studio apts?
I will be visiting in mid-April to get my bearings and do a first hand observation. Hopefully, I can secure a lease and return in June when school starts. Any other ideas, suggestions, and advice are always welcome.

Cheers,

Old 03-13-2010, 10:13 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,298 posts, read 14,128,518 times
I was kinda curious about what the rents might be in the current economic climate, so here's the Craigslist search for "Capitol". You should be able to get something a little cheaper by searching for First Hill. seattle apts/housing for rent classifieds "capitol" - craigslist

Old 03-15-2010, 06:53 AM

Thanks, I was wondering about the Madrona and Lower Queen Anne areas, since they seem almost as close as First/Capitol Hills but do offer slightly better deals in terms of rents. Do these areas still have easy access and mass-transit connections? Are these areas (Madrona & Lower Queen Anne) considered lively distinct areas on their own?

Thanks again.

Old 03-15-2010, 10:27 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,277,328 times
Lower QA is as close as First Hill/Capitol Hill as they all border downtown. Lower QA is a very lively distinct area on it's own. Madrona is on the other side of the Central District. It's still close to downtown, just not quite as close, and has fine bus service.
But: Rental/Real Estate ads are deceptive sometimes, and what is called Madrona may not be Madrona.
Officially, Madrona is east of Martin Luther king Way, extending eastward to Lake Washington, from around E. Cherry Street on the South to around Pike or Pine on the north. But some of the ads call apartments far west of the boundary Madrona, even though it's the Central District. Some of the CD is perfectly fine too, but Madrona is a pretty small area, and the retail core of Madrona at 34th and E Union is a fabulous area, with one of Seattle's best places for breakfast, and some other nice restaurants, including an alehouse. It's a smaller retail district than lower Queen Anne and has less apartment buildings, though it has some. It's quieter than lower QA, not as lively as lower QA, but there is stuff to do, shopping, supermarkets, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area