Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2010, 09:28 PM

2 posts, read 11,331 times

Advertisements

Hi guys. I'm deciding whether or not to move to Seattle this summer. I am 22, and have lived all over North Carolina (Charlotte, Raleigh, now Wilmington). I've heard a LOT of contradictory stories about Seattle, but hopefully I can get a more personalized answer on here.

I have a few questions that stem from what I have heard about Seattle:

1.) Is the culture in Seattle really as homogenous as some people say?
I would call myself socially liberal but financially conservative. I have extreme discontent for politics of any kind and tend to avoid people who are extremely vocal in their support for one political ideology or the other. Most of my uneasiness comes from the people on Seattle's craigslist housing forum who describe themselves and their roommates as open-minded, vegetarian/vegan/pescetarian, and oh yeah... a "community of artists and musicians," and that if you want to live with their crew, you need to fit in like a key. I know it doesn't make sense that a functional city could possibly be totally comprised of self-described "artists and musicians," but it seems to me as if Seattle's youth is composed entirely of hipsters, who don't realize that they're not as open-minded as they think they are. Not that I don't like to have a deep talk about politics/global issues sometimes, but I'd like to live in a neighborhood where the majority of people just want to hang out and joke around on their weekends.

2.) Is the weather really a showstopper? I'm very much an outdoors person. I like to go diving, mountain biking, camping, etc. whenever I can. Does weather frequently lead to plan cancellations, or perhaps even to a lack of planning?

3.) If I move to Seattle I will be a poor graduate student! Is it possible to live in Seattle (renting a room in Wallingford perhaps?) on a $17,000 stipend?

Any help is much appreciated!

Last edited by sadrithmora; 03-15-2010 at 09:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2010, 09:53 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,864,026 times
1.) Yes, we do have a lot of those people, but it is also easy to find people here who are not like that. So don't let something like that deter you.

2.) Ha! Our weather is not a show-stopper. You'll definitely meet a lot of outdoorsy people and rain, for a lot outdoorsy people, is not something to cancel. All you will have to do is make sure you're appropriately attired.

3.) You can get a studio/ 1bdrm in that area for about 500 to 800 bucks a month. Maybe at most you would need to get a PT job.

Old 03-15-2010, 09:54 PM

159 posts, read 625,966 times
1) The attitude in Seattle might be annoying to you, because there are quite a few of the people you described, but yes, you'll be able to find other people as well, ones who actually are open-minded. I was similarly disillusioned by the "openness" of many Seattleites, but there really are a lot of wonderful people there, and I'm sure you'll be able to find them. On the other hand, you won't be able to avoid hipsters and the mindset that comes with them, so get used to them if you move to Seattle.

2) I don't know what weather is like in North Carolina, but odds are it's warmer in winter than in Seattle. Coming from the Midwest, I LOVED Seattle winters. Still my absolute favorite weather (I liked winter in Seattle better than summer, which is apparently weird). It's drizzly and cool but rarely bad enough to keep you inside. Every now and then it gets really windy and rains sideways, and that sucks, but it doesn't get TOO cold, and it's usually drizzle, not downpours. Summer is almost always warm and sunny.

3) Maybe. Someone else can help you out with this one better than I can, but there definitely are graduate students in Seattle.

Old 03-15-2010, 10:36 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,772,004 times
1) Seattle is like Asheville, except you can find employment here. And yes, we have responsible adults, not just hippie artist communes. I think you're spending too much time on Craigslist. Try a graduate housing forum at UW and see what you come up with. Its easier for a grad student to live with other grad students: they'll be more likely to respect your need for more quiet time.

2) Your outdoor time might flipflop. In NC, I didn't mind being outside from October to April. The rest of the year was too hot for me (a Northener). Here, I enjoy being outside from late February to September when its temperate. October-January is the drizzle season. Best of all: no ticks!

3) Its going to be tough. I was a grad student in Chapel Hill making $18,000 a year, with a rent of $270 and I certainly didn't save any money. Seattle's more expensive in almost every way. You're going to have to get roommates, of course. And see if you can make a little somethin extra in the summer. I often worked on extra projects in the summer so I could have some spending money.

Old 03-15-2010, 10:43 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,772,004 times
Its both warmer and colder in the winter in North Carolina. Like the Midwest, their temperature ranges are more extreme. In December, you might get a week where its 65 during the day. But you'll also have weeks where it only makes it up to 20. All in all, Seattle's temperatures are a lot more stable. Drizzly and 40 degrees for 2 months. Less variation throughout the day and the season.

Oh, right. Forgot: NC gets a lot more sun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnusualSuspect View Post
1) The attitude in Seattle might be annoying to you, because there are quite a few of the people you described, but yes, you'll be able to find other people as well, ones who actually are open-minded. I was similarly disillusioned by the "openness" of many Seattleites, but there really are a lot of wonderful people there, and I'm sure you'll be able to find them. On the other hand, you won't be able to avoid hipsters and the mindset that comes with them, so get used to them if you move to Seattle.

2) I don't know what weather is like in North Carolina, but odds are it's warmer in winter than in Seattle. Coming from the Midwest, I LOVED Seattle winters. Still my absolute favorite weather (I liked winter in Seattle better than summer, which is apparently weird). It's drizzly and cool but rarely bad enough to keep you inside. Every now and then it gets really windy and rains sideways, and that sucks, but it doesn't get TOO cold, and it's usually drizzle, not downpours. Summer is almost always warm and sunny.

3) Maybe. Someone else can help you out with this one better than I can, but there definitely are graduate students in Seattle.

Old 03-16-2010, 12:25 AM

701 posts, read 2,029,942 times
Also in the Wilmington area, 23 y/o and considering a move.

Do what I'm currently doing, take a quick trip to Seattle. I got here tonight. From the [dark] looks of things, I think I like this place already.

Old 03-19-2010, 10:56 PM

172 posts, read 441,976 times
Some of the best adventures I have had climbing mountains, mtn biking, etc have been in the rain. DOn't let a little weather cancel your plans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: