Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 05:51 PM

228 posts, read 687,161 times

Advertisements

I've been applying to companies in the Seattle area for I.T. positions but have been seeing more and more job ads which state "local candidates only." Has anyone out of state had any luck landing a job in Seattle recently? I'm wondering if it would be easier to relocate without a job and then start searching as a local. Your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2010, 08:56 PM

159 posts, read 626,195 times
I've moved several times and every time found it easier to land a job once I actually lived in the place where I was looking for work. If you and a local candidate are equally qualified, odds are the local candidate is going to get the job (even if the ad doesn't specify that the company wants local candidates), and the competition is fierce right now. I'm planning to head back to Seattle as soon as I find a job or in June, whichever comes first, and I fully expect to be on my way to Seattle this summer without a job lined up.

Old 03-23-2010, 10:27 PM

51 posts, read 149,189 times
Local. It took for me to use a college friend's seattle address to finally get some leads. If you are going to do that you have to be agent zero and be on top of your game when communicating with employers and be willing drop some dimes on plane tickets because of the possible short notice since they think you're down the street.

Old 03-23-2010, 10:54 PM

149 posts, read 496,785 times
yes i did this when i lived in la to move to dc ^^

Old 03-23-2010, 11:31 PM

1,632 posts, read 6,843,896 times
Get one of those disposable cell phones, where you can specify your area code. You could also considering getting a private mail box, like at the UPS Store (the address looks kinda residential).

Sometimes, depending on the type of job, "local candidates only" can mean that they aren't going to pay relocation, nor are they going to wait for a month or so while you move. But either way, you will be at a disadvantage to locals, other things beings equal.

And like the earlier post said, it can be hard - and expensive - to come to an interview on short notice.

Old 03-24-2010, 09:42 AM

93 posts, read 263,903 times
I haven't had any luck getting any companies to even talk to me even after making it clear I will cover all expenses getting to interviews and relocating. I would like to have a job lined up when we move from Houston to Seattle in 2 years, but if not we are going anyway. I'm going to quit a great job here and move 2000 miles away and be unemployed for a little bit. We'll make it work. I have considered adding a local phone # since I am with Vonage and I can do that with our home phone for cheap ($5 or $10 I think). If I do that I imagine I really ought to come up with a local address also.

Last edited by TotalFat; 03-24-2010 at 09:44 AM.. Reason: added more

Old 03-24-2010, 12:39 PM

159 posts, read 626,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TotalFat View Post
I have considered adding a local phone # since I am with Vonage and I can do that with our home phone for cheap ($5 or $10 I think). If I do that I imagine I really ought to come up with a local address also.
I have a local phone number and all of my references from past jobs are in Seattle, but I'm still having a really tough time, even though I have also made it clear that I'll fly out for an interview and pay for relocation costs. I'm probably going to do temp work for a while when I get to town.

Old 03-24-2010, 03:33 PM

28 posts, read 86,461 times
I'm from California and I actually live here, I'm finding it hard too. But I don't have any IT skills so you're ahead of me on that one.

Old 03-24-2010, 03:57 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,853,558 times
Amazon is pretty good about recruiting from outside of WA. I know they sought out my husband even though we lived in San Diego.

Old 03-24-2010, 06:06 PM

228 posts, read 687,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnusualSuspect View Post
I have a local phone number and all of my references from past jobs are in Seattle, but I'm still having a really tough time, even though I have also made it clear that I'll fly out for an interview and pay for relocation costs. I'm probably going to do temp work for a while when I get to town.
I thought about using a Seattle based phone # as well, but thought against it. Listen here for details...
Seattle Waiting
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area