Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 05:00 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,601,206 times

Advertisements

Having visited every US city that has a pro sports team, I can say this with certainty: No two cities are alike. Even remotely. Some may share characteristics, such as climate, politics or cuisine, but every city of size has such a rich history and makeup, there are far more differences than similarities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2010, 11:38 AM

1 posts, read 1,856 times
thank you for your help not really

Old 09-05-2010, 12:30 PM

701 posts, read 2,030,637 times
How does Seattle compare to other U.S. cities, you ask? It beats all of their asses (minus San Francisco) and leaves them stranded in the sea without a lifeline.

Old 09-05-2010, 09:56 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,549,026 times
We've lived in Seattle metro since '90, and just completed a two-year trip around the country during which we were fortunate to visit a lot of very nice cities and towns. We also saw a lot of not so nice, and many with a mix.

Seattle is a very pretty town, with limitations. Mostly their "slums" are in the suburbs, though Rainier Valley is pretty grim -- or was, anyway. The vicinity around Pioneer Square (downtown) has a concentration of homeless and beggars. The rest of the city looks like Mayberry. People leave their doors open at night. (We were pretty astounded by that, having moved here from Tucson where all the doors and windows are barred!)

We looked all over the country for a better place to live, and came back. I guess that just about says it all.

Old 09-07-2010, 12:27 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,601,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by devyn meat View Post
Nice. Buzz off, loser.

Old 09-07-2010, 01:48 PM

381 posts, read 862,365 times
Ive lived in many places, but for the purpose of this thread I'll compare SF to Seattle.

The biggest, most obvious difference is that SF truly feels like a "city" almost everywhere you go, while Seattle does not. SF has a much stronger urban fabric, it is much more crowded and vibrant & bustling (on par with Chicago, Boston, etc). The architecture is older and more distinct, and the streets are narrower, the city overall has way more character. There are stronger ethnic enclaves in SF too, like Chinatown, the Mission, North Beach, etc. There is a lot more urban exploration to do in SF, although it is significantly smaller in area.

However, Seattle feels a lot more modern and much cleaner. There is a stronger focus on "local" in Seattle. The city still feels like the pavement is drying; lots of changes and up & coming neighborhoods. It is far less established than SF, and in many ways this is a good thing. It feels easier to make a tangible difference. Things feel more organized and sane in Seattle, and its downtown and adjacent neighborhoods are not to be underestimated.

Both are hilly and progressive, both have outstanding natural scenery. Both have great food, although I'd put SF at least a notch above there (only NYC beats it, IMO). SF's nightlife is more varied and exciting, although Seattle does specialize in great down-home neighborhood bars.

Another big difference, and one in Seattle's favor, is quality of life. Seattle is a more comfortable place to live. You can get all the big city amenities and nice urban downtown, but still live a very comfortable and quality lifestyle, like you would get in a town. SF has a lot more of the typical "urban" issues, and feels more like an urban jungle.

Id much rather raise a family in Seattle, but if I was in my early-mid 20s SF would be a more exciting place to live.

Old 09-08-2010, 11:34 PM

1,930 posts, read 6,534,987 times
I have worked as a consultant traveling regularly to DC, Dallas, Atlanta, San Fran, Chicago and OC. Grew up in Iowa, as an adult lived in Denver, Dallas and Austin. Currently reside in Seattle (Eastside).

IMO (again IMO)...Seattle and Denver are actually a goodbit similar in my mind having lived in both...though Seattle is far prettier on the whole (mtns AND water) but Denver has more sunshine. Seattle has a better job market but is a bit more expensive to live in. People are similar in that they are nice but somewhat reserved and people are more concerned with where you hiked/skied/camped/climbed last weekend in both places than with what you drive. Politically Seattle is a tad more liberal than Denver but then that really depends how close you live to Boulder in some regards. Seattle seems a bit more globally diverse and little less racially charged than Denver but it's all relative when you compare both to some cities in the South and East. I also agree on some comparisons of Seattle to San Fran but I like the saying "Seattle is San Fran's little brother". Rings true to me.

Comparisons of Seattle to Chicago? IMO, they are really very different places and I don't see any big similarities though I love both cities. Just don't prefer Midwestern weather having grown up there and Chi-town is a great deal bigger than Seattle. I guess both places have good sailing opportunities but that's all the similar I think they are.

Old 09-09-2010, 07:18 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,861,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by devyn meat View Post
Nice attitude Why don't you move to Boston and talk to people like that...

Old 08-19-2013, 07:48 PM

60 posts, read 81,854 times
Great information regarding Seattle, a place I am obsessing on visiting and even imagine I would love living in! I am a native New Yorker, born and raised in the ever so now hip Brooklyn. You can say a lot of about finding everything in NYC, 24-7 and the quick pace but it is dirty and lacks easy access to real natural beauty. Take a walk through the East Village on a 90 degree garbage night. It's also extremely expensive, especially if you have a young family.

Old 08-19-2013, 08:28 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,588,923 times
I like how Atlanta never comes up in these conversations. Atlanta is a major city, with a metro population of 6 million. It also has a lot of entertainment, and only NYC and LA surpass it. It has a strong economy, really good business wise, is gaining ground with NYC in the financial industry, and has certainly done quite a but to influence America's culture. In terms of mainstream entertainment, Atlanta is way more relevant than NY. A lot of popular musicians in the last 15 years have come from Atlanta. I personally don't like Atlanta's music, but you can't deny the influence. In terms of diversity, Atlanta is way more diverse than Seattle.

Seattle is not even close to Atlanta's league. Seattle economically is a one trick pony. It's a good one trick, and that's IT, but with no IT industry, no one would even mention Seattle in the same sentence as big boy cities like Atlanta, Chicago, LA, or NYC. Not to say Seattle is bad, but Atlanta is in a different league than Seattle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area