Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 01:32 PM

1,770 posts, read 2,897,057 times

Advertisements

Hey all
Been talking to my partner and we've been itchin' to try and visit somewhere for a long weekend... Seattle came up.

How would Seattle compare to other US cities? I grew up in Philadelphia (17 years) and then we moved to the suburbs of NJ..where I still am now (just not with my parents, lol). Philly, sadly, was very ghetto. Always felt unsafe. The job market is so-so. It always seems dirty..and the general Philadelphia area is very trashy (in terms of the people). Just my opinion, of course.

Has anyone lived in 1 major city and now live in Seattle (or vice versa). Can you make comparisons, please?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2010, 02:18 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,868,485 times
Would Las Vegas count?

I grew up in Seattle, went to LV for college-- seriously, I was crawling back to Seattle. LV was too dry and really, there's not as much experiences to be had for residents. (Being on the strip all the time does lose its flavor.) Traffic was horrid (and now when I deal with Seattle traffic, I am literally serene).

The whole state of WA is a playground: we have forests, deserts, rain forests, mountains, oceans/beaches, rivers and lakes. We have very mild weather. There's a lot of outdoorsy activities to be done here. Water is very clean in comparison to Lake Mead (which was just... ick). Plus, if you're not a outdoorsy types, there's still a lot of museums, artsy fartsy events going on, music, dances, cultural events, shoppings.

One of the things about LV that I didn't like was that they were actively trying to create "China-town" and the government was paying money to help create it. Our International District at least grew organically and has all what you would come to expect of Chinatown/International District -- though surely not on the same par as SF's Chinatown. I lived in SF as a child and... well, SF was dirty to me. Seattle didn't have that "dirty" impression on me when we first moved here. Still doesn't. The only thing that makes me sad is that DT Seattle lost that ... gritty feeling.

The other thing was: LV really has scary parts-- where if I go through it, literally the hair on my skin stands up... I never really appreciate how Seattle/WA didn't have ghetto or dangerous parts on that level. They do have some scuzzy/undesirable parts, but it doesn't really compare to what Las Vegas has. You just never appreciate the feeling safe until it's taken away from you and you're out of your zone.

Old 03-25-2010, 03:58 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,337,354 times
Grew up in central Jersey between NYC and Philly and know both cities well, and I previously lived in Boston.Have lived in Seattle for 30+ years. Seattle has far fewer bad neighborhoods than any of those cities. Seattle is much cleaner than all of those places, part of that is a function of it being a much newer city, not settled until the 1850's. Culturally, it's closer to Boston than Philly or New York, and is a younger city also in terms of the population. There are a lot of 20 and 30 somethings in Seattle. A lot of goatees.
Not too many neighborhoods with just buildings and concrete. A lot of trees, even just ten or so minutes away from downtown Seattle. Not a cheap place to live.

Old 03-25-2010, 04:58 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,358,226 times
I grew up in Chicago, and lived for two years in St. Louis.

In comparison to St. Louis ...

Seattle has a more laid back vibe (sometimes outright lazy vibe, but only if you're looking for government services really). Seattle also has a size and population of roughly like St. Louis and, even though has similar demographics of white people to everyone else, is more diverse in my opinion. There is also a distinct lack of gutted downtown abandonment. Downtown is very vibrant in Seattle. The people are more vibrant, in my opinion, individual exceptions apply. Seattle people are also more interested in the typical baseball/football/sports bar things to do scene. Of course, if you're into that kinda thing, we got you covered too.

Seattle also has a more built up suburb, called Bellevue, and Redmond. That's where there's basically a second downtown hub in the region with built up buildings and shopping going on, though it is definitely more suburban.

Seattle is just, in general, better than St. Louis.

In comparison to Chicago...

Seattle is smaller, and more laid back. Similar amounts of things to do, just in smaller quantities than Chicago (quality over quantity, mind you). Seattle downtown is smaller than Chicago's but is also more walkable (except the steep streets, my mom and her partner were complaining when they visited about their calves not used to it). Seattle also has more killer views.

Seattle does NOT have as much architectural heritage, nor as many architecturally significant neighborhoods. Though you have to give Seattle credit ... its population explosion happened in the 1950s-60s, compared to the 1800s.

Seattle is like the smaller, more laid back, but similarly interesting sister city to Chicago.

Old 03-25-2010, 05:28 PM

32 posts, read 149,078 times
I grew up in Morris County, NJ, went to school in Las Vegas, NV, and lived for about four months in both Brooklyn and Anchorage, AK. I've now lived in Seattle for just under six years and I think I can help point out some noticeable differences between Seattle, NJ, and the other areas of the country where I have lived and visited.

I think Seattle is a great city in so many respects. First, compared to NJ, the weather here is much more moderate. It generally doesn't get as cold as NJ does, nor does it get as hot. In Seattle proper snow is rare and so are prolonged temperatures above 85 degrees. In short, the winters are more mild and the summer is generally cooler than the northeast and with much less humidity.

In my opinion, public transportation in western Washington is far superior to the transportation in northern New Jersey. It may not be comparable to New York City, Boston, Chicago, or Washington, but it's pretty comprehensive and with a little beforehand research you can choose to live in areas that will be most compatible with public transportation and your intended commute. It was a bit of an adjustment taking the bus to and from work everyday but after about a month I had the whole thing down-pat. Now, I couldn't even imagine having to drive to work everyday like I did in New Jersey or while attending school in Las Vegas. Oh, and I should mention that everyone from business executives to homeless individuals to middle and high school aged children take the bus around here. When my parents visit they're always a little skeptical about taking the bus because where we're from in NJ you only take the bus if you work in NYC or can't afford a car (or for some other similar, not usually good, reason). Here, taking the bus is "the thing to do" for so many different types of people.

This sounds odd but I tell everyone I know that lives somewhere other than Seattle that here in Seattle, and in many of the suburbs around Seattle, we have the best grocery stores I have ever seen. By in large the grocery stores around here are some of the cleanest, newest, or most recently renovated as compared to many of the cities I have lived in or visited. Also, the quality of meats, veggies, and seafood is generally very, very good. As compared to stores in New Jersey, it's almost as if every grocery store around the city of Seattle is on par with a Kings or Whole Foods Market (if you're familiar).

Lastly, the people here are generally open-minded and tolerant of other races, ethnic backgrounds, sexual orientations, and general lifestyle choices and situations. Sometimes I sense a bit of an angry, almost militant-like attitude in some people with regard to whatever it is they feel very strongly about. In general though I think people are somewhat aloof about other people and their goings-on. To be fair, I feel like I've become more aloof and disinterested in the things I hear and see around me since I've moved to Seattle too.

A few things that I wish were different about this area: more sun, less expensive housing, larger property parcels (homes are very close to each other as compared to where I grew up) and I wish that Seattle had more ethnic neighborhoods. I miss Little Italy, Little India, and Chinatown in New York. Seattle has the International District but it pales in comparison to those neighborhoods and many other ethnic neighborhoods in other cities.

I hope this has helped. If you have any specific question let me know and I'll do my best to provide you with an answer.

Last edited by MPOLLO; 03-25-2010 at 05:44 PM..

Old 03-25-2010, 11:44 PM

103 posts, read 207,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
I grew up in Chicago, and lived for two years in St. Louis.

In comparison to St. Louis ...

Seattle has a more laid back vibe (sometimes outright lazy vibe, but only if you're looking for government services really). Seattle also has a size and population of roughly like St. Louis and, even though has similar demographics of white people to everyone else, is more diverse in my opinion. There is also a distinct lack of gutted downtown abandonment. Downtown is very vibrant in Seattle. The people are more vibrant, in my opinion, individual exceptions apply. Seattle people are also more interested in the typical baseball/football/sports bar things to do scene. Of course, if you're into that kinda thing, we got you covered too.

Seattle also has a more built up suburb, called Bellevue, and Redmond. That's where there's basically a second downtown hub in the region with built up buildings and shopping going on, though it is definitely more suburban.

Seattle is just, in general, better than St. Louis.

In comparison to Chicago...

Seattle is smaller, and more laid back. Similar amounts of things to do, just in smaller quantities than Chicago (quality over quantity, mind you). Seattle downtown is smaller than Chicago's but is also more walkable (except the steep streets, my mom and her partner were complaining when they visited about their calves not used to it). Seattle also has more killer views.

Seattle does NOT have as much architectural heritage, nor as many architecturally significant neighborhoods. Though you have to give Seattle credit ... its population explosion happened in the 1950s-60s, compared to the 1800s.

Seattle is like the smaller, more laid back, but similarly interesting sister city to Chicago.
Seattle is nothing like Chicago. Chicago tries to be like New York. Seattle just tries to be like Seattle. Well, parts of the Eastside tries to be like certain parts of California.

If Seattle is compared to another city, it'd be San Francisco. But it doesn't try to become like San Fran. It just happens that there's some cultural overlap between the two cities.

Old 03-26-2010, 12:50 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,384,877 times
Ok I'm not a resident but I will give my two cents as I so often do for Seattle.

I grew up in the San Francisco Bay Area (Berkeley, sometime in Oakland) and currently reside in San Diego.

I visited Seattle last summer and did as much as I could, spoke with as many people as I could and shopped, even at the local grocery store and apartment hunted sorta. While I will not have the same experiences as the previous posters here's my take in Seattle:

As the others have said, it's a very clean city compared to most others. it doesn't have that grimy feeling of SF and some other cities. It's not that arid nasty dryness of the desert cities (seriously I cannot wrap my head around why anyone would want to live in such a place but that's me). It lacks neighborhoods as bad as some of the ones in Oakland or San Francisco. It lacks the screwed up everything that is Los Angeles!

Seattle to me reminds me most of my hometown of Berkeley; similar architecture, similar city life style although Seattle has much more to do than Berkeley. In terms of crime, Seattle is and feels safe like San Diego compared to other cities.

Everyone has already mentioned the things one can do in and around Seattle. One thing no other city can compare with Seattle for IMO is scenery. I know this may sound corny but if you haven't seen it, trust me that alone can make Seattle worth it. Check out the picture threads by pwright.

Oh and all that talk about rain, don't let that get to you. Most of the time in Seattle it just drizzles or sometimes mists. Not enough to noticed once you're used to it.

Ok, I'll now let those more qualified give more input.

Old 03-26-2010, 07:52 AM

5,002 posts, read 12,358,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyap View Post
Seattle is nothing like Chicago. Chicago tries to be like New York. Seattle just tries to be like Seattle. Well, parts of the Eastside tries to be like certain parts of California.

If Seattle is compared to another city, it'd be San Francisco. But it doesn't try to become like San Fran. It just happens that there's some cultural overlap between the two cities.
Elaborate ... I never got the impression that Chicago is trying to be like NYC. Trying to get as much influence and recognition, yeah, sure. But trying to be like it? You'll have to go into detail.

Old 03-26-2010, 01:53 PM

103 posts, read 207,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
Elaborate ... I never got the impression that Chicago is trying to be like NYC. Trying to get as much influence and recognition, yeah, sure. But trying to be like it? You'll have to go into detail.
Chicago, once known as the "Second City," as in second to NYC. Nowadays, it's not considered second, or even third. But that "Second City" moniker continues to have an impact on Chicago's psyche.

When I lived in Chicago, which I consider a very provincial city, more on par with Philadelphia and Atlanta than a city like San Francisco, I would hear those living in Chicago (not all are Chicagoans, I suppose) constantly comparing Chicago to New York. For instance:

"People are staying out later. Chicago nightlife is beginning to feel more like New York's."

"Wicker Park is like the East Village."

Everywhere I looked, I saw Chicago style as a outdated version of New York style. New York punks wore nose and tongue rings in the 80s. Chicago punks wore them in the 90s. New Yorkers began eating sushi in the 80s. Chicago in the 90s. Yada yada.

New Yorkers don't compare their city to Chicago. They generally ignore Chicago. When New Yorkers get snobby, they make snide remarks about those middlebrows in LA, not Chicago, that fake city that looks so grand in pictures but reality has skyscrapers going a mere one block West of Lake Shore Drive.

The point it, it's not appropriate to say Seattle is like Chicago. Seattle to Portland, or San Fran, or Vancouver, yes. But not Chicago.

Sure, Seattle folks lack confidence. That's why Seattle worries about Californication or New York developers. (New Yorkers, on the other hand, never worry about Californians or Parisians turning New York into LA or Paris. You don't change New York, New York changes you). But at least Seattle is authentic. They don't try to copy the latest New York or LA fashions. They wear fleece and quick-dry pants because it makes sense to do so and not because it's "fashionable." They developed a unique cafe culture. They philosophized about green living before green became hip. In fact, Seattle made green hip. What has Chicago given us lately? Oprah, the modern day Aunt Jemimah?

I'm most offended that anyone would even consider comparing Seattle to St. Louis. That's like comparing a well marbled New York steak to a banana shank. St.Louis is more or less irrelevant now and should be compared to up-and-comers like Boise, Raleigh, and Charlotte.

Last edited by foodyap; 03-26-2010 at 02:02 PM..

Old 03-26-2010, 02:17 PM

1,463 posts, read 6,221,168 times
*sigh* it does not matter where you move...NY are the most arrogant self entitled people on the planet. That is the exact reason I would live in Chicago and never NY and in this day and age with the internet and mass transportation no city has dominance over fashion trends anymore. Your logic is 80's-90's perspective....

It is the common trait of all NY's or anybody from NY, the arrogance...the question I always ask is if it was so great then why the hell did you move???....

Spent considerable time in Chicago and know many people who love it...Chicago is authentic and genuine cities as they come...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area