U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-29-2010, 09:51 AM

9 posts, read 51,902 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm planning to move to Seattle since I got an offer from Amazon. It's just a basic offer so my budget is not that huge, plus I do want to get some savings every month.

I'm wondering where I should live because I have no idea of the city now. I have a car and I want to keep the car with me even I don't drive to work.

The problem is, Amazon is moving from the current location (5th Avenue South) to South Lake Union. I'll be staying at the current location for about a year before I move to SLU area as far as I know.

I wanna find a rent where:
- easy to get to the current Amazon and future Amazon locations. Either by driving or by public transit. (<30 mins door to door commute)
- affordable rent. (1bedroom for around $1000 at most) not some overpriced condos.
- easy parking
- safe and clean area

I prefer some suburban area but I'm worrying the commute through the bridges to the city. Some people told me to look at Eastgate Bellevue, but they also told me commuting from Eastgate to SLU is going to be so horrible...

I don't know if there is any place that will satisfy the above criteria. If you guys have any suggestions please let me know. I'm a bit confused now...

Thanks so much in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2010, 10:43 AM

1,677 posts, read 4,257,587 times
Hi, my husband works at Amazon and is currently at the 5th Avenue building, but like everyone else will move to SLU in 2011. We currently live in Issaquah, and his commute is an hour, but we have 2 children, and I wanted to live in the suburbs. We're looking to buy soon, and that SLU move is definitely a consideration. You might want to look in Shoreline. The problem with living downtown is parking. Most apartments don't include parking in the rent and it's an additional $200-300/month. Also, you're not going to want to drive into work at either location because parking will cost you an additional $200-300/month. Amazon will provide you with a transit pass, so your bus ride will be free. They will cover about $150 toward parking if you forgo the bus pass.

The commute from Eastgate to 5th Avenue is about 30 minutes via bus, but going to SLU will add between another 20-30 minutes from what I've been told.

V. =)

Old 03-29-2010, 03:40 PM

9 posts, read 51,902 times
Thanks a lot Veronika!
I think being able to commute to both SLU and 5th ave south within 30 minutes will be pretty hard from outside of the city.

I did more searching, and now I'm thinking of around SLU, Queen Ann, Fregmont and even Ballard.
How do those places sound like? I think they all should have a manageable commute time to the downtown area (<30 mins) by public transportation, as well as affordable rent and parking possibility?

Old 03-29-2010, 05:20 PM

1,677 posts, read 4,257,587 times
I'm not sure about parking in those areas, but the commute should be okay from any of those. Good luck!

Old 03-30-2010, 01:28 AM

52 posts, read 154,668 times
SLU, Queen Anne, Belltown, Fremont, Wallingford, Ballard, Capitol Hill are all pretty close to the new Amazon campus, and within 30 minute (driving) or 45-60 minutes (bus) to Amazon's current offices (not familiar with your specific worksite location). SLU is definitely up-and-coming, but it doesn't feel like a neighborhood quite yet. The others are all established neighborhoods, generally safe and clean (Seattle is a very clean city!), and have plenty of restaurants/bars/shops.

Parking is not easy in these neighborhoods. As noted above, off-street parking can be $200/month, depending on the building/neighborhood. On-street parking is not allowed (pay stations) in some areas, SLU in particular. Other areas have free street parking, but finding a spot near your apartment can be a challenge.

If you increased your rent budget to, say, $1300, you would have a lot more options in these neighborhoods. $1000 does not buy all that much in close-in Seattle neighborhoods - mostly older or smaller 1-bedrooms (many without dishwashers or washer/dryers) or studios.

I'd vote against the Eastside suburbs - my boss got stuck in traffic for over an hour a few weeks ago on 520, and that was at 2PM. Rush-hour can be much worse.

Old 03-31-2010, 03:11 AM

139 posts, read 184,021 times
+1 against the East Side. If you are looking for <30 min commute, the whole East Side drops off the chart: you won't get to the SLU, or any existing Amazon buildings neither by car nor by Metro nor by Sound in 30 minutes, from any affordable part in the East. Last winter, with record snowfalls, commute from the East Side burbs to Amazon locations lasted literally hours. In the best case scenario, it takes 45 mins:

drive to a P&R (stoplights, ramps etc.) - 20 min,
walk from the car to the bus stop - 5 min
wait for the bus as you rarely make it just in time - 5-15 min
ride the bus: 20 min
walk from the bus stop to your desk - 5 min

So, if you park your car really close to the bus stop, if the bus comes and leaves right away with you onboard, you make it in 45 mins which is already 50% over your target commute time.

Old 03-31-2010, 10:35 AM

5,605 posts, read 6,581,619 times
Eastlake, Capitol Hill would always be better choices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area