U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 11:51 AM

10 posts, read 19,194 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

My OH might be getting a job in the Seattle area (it's close to I-5 between Pike and Oliver street--I don't know the specific name for this area). Can someone give us some suggestions on places to live outside of Seattle that will not be the commute from Hades? Or did I just ask for the impossible? We'd like to live in a semi-rural area or a place where the population density isn't so high. I'm hoping that will translate to less expensive housing (or maybe not--I confess my ignorance on this whole area). We can swing perhaps no more than $1400- $1500 for rent. We have four kids, too.

I hope we're not crazy for even thinking this--I live in Florida. It's hard for me to imagine wintertime without bright sunshine--overcast here means it's going to storm! But I am very willing to adapt. Thanks for the help. I hope everyone is enjoying their holiday!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2010, 02:04 PM

1,183 posts, read 1,710,712 times
Pike and Olive start downtown and run all the way up past Capitol Hill. To live anywhere semi-rural and commute at normal times would be 30 minutes at absolute best, more like 45 minutes to 1 hour each way. And if you're looking to rent a house ... don't think $1400 - $1500 would make it close in, especially on the eastside (Bellevue, Issaquah). You might have to move further out to the north or south, which adds to commute times.

Don't let the weather bother you. Any amount of overcast is worth the summer months - high's in the 70's, no rain, no humidity, no bugs.

Old 04-02-2010, 03:10 PM

10 posts, read 19,194 times
Thanks for the reply.

That kind of commute time wouldn't be so bad. He drives about 45-60 minutes now from one side of town to the other.

Highs in the 70s!!! OMG--and it's 82 F right now and I'm thinking, "It would perfect if the temp were up just a few more degrees." That would feel like late fall or very late winter weather to me.
My OH would love it, though--he's from NYC and has never gotten used to the climate here. Or the prehistoric-sized insects. Or gators happily sunning themselves on your lawn after dining on Fifi. Ah--you get the picture!

Which is preferable? Going north or south?

Old 04-02-2010, 04:25 PM

8,288 posts, read 14,612,288 times
South is generally less expensive. Maple Valley is southeast and is still kind of semi rural. Even parts of Renton and Kent are still semi rural. Parts of Burien, Normandy Park, and Des Moines are quiet and near the water. The towns north of Seattle generally have better schools.But none of the towns I mentioned have all bad schools...You just have to shoot for a rental where the nearby schools are good. Maple Valley is especially noted for good schools.

Old 04-02-2010, 04:42 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,031,122 times
Be careful about the seasonal depression...it's a big change when it gets light at 8:00 AM and dark by 4:30 PM in the winter months, and it can rain for a month straight. It's a big switch from Florida. The plus side is the summer months...it stays light until 9:30-10 PM and starts getting light around 4:30 AM. And as posted earlier, the summer weather is spectacular.

Commutes going north are generally worse than the ones going south, and it can take an hour plus on the rainy days. You might consider Marysville to the north. Auburn to the south, Maple Valley, maybe some parts of Kent. Good luck!

Old 04-02-2010, 07:21 PM

159 posts, read 365,477 times
I never lived in the south end, so I can't comment on that, but at least for the north end, I don't really think a half-hour commute would be reasonable, especially when you consider just getting in and out of downtown can take a while. It used to take me a half hour just to get to Northgate in north Seattle. You'd probably be looking at something like an hour or more each way. I second the Marysville idea, and maybe also take a look at Snohomish and the areas east of south Everett, Mill Creek, Bothell. It's a nice area, but I doubt it would be a fun commute.

Old 04-04-2010, 07:40 AM

252 posts, read 397,993 times
Bainbridge Island is rural, safe, great schools and a 35 min. commute. Not so inexpensive though.

Old 09-15-2010, 08:53 PM

2 posts, read 5,018 times
Good luck. I am from So. Calif. and have been living in Seattle since June. We had lots of rain already. I would be very depressed thinking about the non stop raining season (Sept. to May) ahead. I also heard it would be cold, down to 10 degree or less with snow in the winter time. I am a big city boy, every area in Seattle is semi-rural to me. Also, I live in the north near my work, you couldn't pay me any wage to work and drive to downtown Seattle. They only have two lanes on each direction on the freeway with a strictly enforced speed limit of 60 MPH. Most people drove like it is Sunday. They drove even slower during the rain. Any accident would shut down the freeway. These combination would depress anyone except the natives.

Old 09-16-2010, 02:20 AM

277 posts, read 463,570 times
For what's it worth, try looking in bellevue/redmond/issaquah for some housing. While 1500 a month is rare, it does pop-up every now and then for an older house. The problem, with 4 kids, is that I imagine the size of house you may need may completely exclude that.... unless you are ok with living tight.

Lastly, do be prepared for the weather shift. Most people who tell you "don't worry about it" are natives and have their brains attuned to the weather here. I'm a Florida native and my brain still gets very confused when I go for a long period of time without sunlight. You have to make an active effort to take in what you can, when you can, even if you don't feel like it.

Old 09-18-2010, 06:40 PM

50 posts, read 8,536 times
A nice suburban or semi-rural area would be nice, but I wouldn't be too crazy about driving the distance if I had to commute downtown.

Are there any good transit options available in the more vastly suburban areas of Seattle, particularly during rush hour times?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area