Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2010, 11:02 AM

5 posts, read 12,031 times

Advertisements

Okie dokie, here is our situation. My husband is possibly taking a job at Google in the Kirkland office. I will be staying at home for at least a few years with our munchkin. We started looking at apartments in Kirkland and...yikes. The ones we can afford are impossibly small, and so now we are starting to branch out in our search. I have searched this forum for answers (so as not to ask a repetitive question), but I still don't think that I quite have a good feel for the area. Out of Redmond, Bellevue, Issaquah, and Bothell (or any other areas you can suggest), where do you suggest that we look? I do like the availability of outdoorsy activities in Issaquah, but it seems like most places in Western Washington are pretty close to that kind of thing. We would like to be within close distance of shopping, movies, farmer's markets, et cetera. Any sketchy areas we should avoid? I should also mention that our daughter won't be going to school for a few years, so that isn't an issue yet. Thanks in advance!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2010, 11:30 AM

1,169 posts, read 5,264,768 times
Below is a link you might be able to use. Click the 'Map' tab to see where the apartments are located. You can zoom in and out to change the area covered. The location pushpins are color coded showing their rating although some apartments don't have enough ratings to be meaningful.

Kirkland Apartments for Rent - Kirkland Apartments Reviews and Ratings

You might like the Juanita Beach area, North of downtown Kirkland. I know someone living at The Village at Juanita Beach Apartments and it seems nice.

I'm not aware of any dangerous areas on the Eastside. There are older areas with less affluence, like Lake Hills in Bellevue. Even this area seems fine and has a great greenbelt running through it but I could be missing something because I'm not familiar with the apartments there.

Old 04-09-2010, 11:49 AM

1,989 posts, read 6,594,676 times
Speaking as someone who grew up in Lake Hills in Bellevue - only snobby and/or naive people would consider the Lake Hills area to be run-down or sketchy. This is not directed at AzDreamer, just something I find silly in general when people talk about Lake Hills like its the South Bronx.

Last edited by toughguy; 04-09-2010 at 12:00 PM..

Old 04-09-2010, 12:18 PM

225 posts, read 643,641 times
Coming from Orlando myself, may I translate this in Orlando terms? Bellevue is like Lake Mary, with a touch of Winter Park (think Park Ave area) types thrown in. Kirkland is like College Park, without Parramore nearby.

My bf is staying in Kirkland and has looked at lower priced apartments in the Juanita area - these are similiar to the Semoran Blvd near the airport, minus the gang activity (though, if it's there, it doesn't compare). There are a number of month to month deals that apartment don't list, so you could get a temporary place until you found something to your liking, if you wanted.

Neat thing about Kirkland: at some crosswalks, there are small flags you can hold out as you cross the street (for visibility). Beats taking your life in your hands in Otown.

Old 04-09-2010, 12:24 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,858,916 times
The entire Eastside is pretty desirable, so its in high demand. A lot of good school districts in the area. So it's on a higher end in term of housing/renting price. No such "sketchy" area, and coming from Orlando, you'd probably laugh in our face when you see what we would define "sketchy".

For easy accessibility (where you don't HAVE to use a freeway)-- Redmond, Juanita/Finn Hill/Inglewood (which are basically Northern Kirkland suburbs) and Bellevue. Bothell is a (little) further north and you wouldn't have to use a freeway (just go south on 100th Ave NE). All have easy access to shopping centers, movie theatres, Farmer's Markets-- et. c.

Also look into Kingsgate, Totem Lake. Woodinville is close-by as well, and has a bit of a more rural/wine country feel.

You can't really go wrong here, unless the town just doesn't "fit" you in terms of feel. All these cities are different in feel. Bellevue/Kirkland-proper tend to the more expensive ones in this batch. All have great family orientation and feels very safe.

Old 04-10-2010, 06:32 AM

Robineli- That comparison really helps! How would you compare the other Eastside areas to Orlando neighborhoods? I work in Pine Hills and live in College Park now, but we won't have a College Park budget when we move.

mod cut:

Inkpoe- I work in an area called Pine Hills now (nicknamed "Crime Hills"), so I think you may be right about the sketch factor.

I really liked what I found so far in Issaquah, but it seems too far of a commute. Thanks, guys!

Last edited by scirocco22; 04-10-2010 at 11:14 AM.. Reason: orphaned ...what you were responding to has been removed

Old 04-10-2010, 07:42 AM

225 posts, read 643,641 times
Budget-wise, it's been very easy to find apartment complexes priced below College Park level. Remember Orlando rental pricing a few years ago before the crazy house-flipping and condo conversions jacked everything up? It's in that ballpark. We've found really good discounts that aren't listed, just by visiting for the tours. Same spiel as Otown: sign today, prices change. I always look at the negative reviews of any complex to see if there's a main problem. Most people gripe about black mold or some personality clash with management. The potential for black mold isn't something to lose sleep over.

You work in Crime Hills? You will not see the same brazen, aggressive, just-looking-for-a-reason, 407-Represent! attitude here. Nor will you see Bithlo/Ocoee/Sanford either. Look at where you live/work now on spotcrime.com. Notice all the fists? Now look at Kirkland.

There's a few waterside parks (their version of a beach, don't compare them to Florida beaches unless you enjoy torturing yourself) that are very nice and generally filled with pleasantly behaved people.

The I5 is just like I4, so no breaks in that area. Same ole tailgaters, but their road rage doesn't involve exchanges of gunfire (unless they keep quiet about it).

Old 04-10-2010, 02:00 PM

15 posts, read 37,667 times
Are you specifically looking at apartments? My sister lives in the Willows complex located close to downtown Redmond and LOVES it. Redmond is VERY family friendly. Issaquah will create a 30-45 minute commute for your hubby but you will find more square footage for your dollar. You might want to check craigslist for condos for rent too - might get a better value there. You would be very happy in either area - great schools, preschools, kids activities, shopping, etc. Another area with a small town feel is Snoqualmie Ridge (where I live.) Similar commute for hubby, but YOU will have to drive to Issaquah for Target, Costco, etc. Also great schools, etc. Good luck!

Old 04-11-2010, 10:12 AM

Wow. I used that Spotcrime website and started laughing hysterically after comparing the two areas. You have one crime listed. One. That is amazing! I am sold on Issaquah, but not my husband so much. So far my search for apartments in Redmond has gone well. Thanks for all of your help!

So far I see that Broadstripe, Comcast, and Millenium are the main cable providers in your area. Any recommendations/gripes? Thanks again- you guys have been great!

Last edited by leggomymeggo; 04-11-2010 at 10:45 AM.. Reason: amended question
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area