U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 10:51 PM

4,794 posts, read 4,750,998 times
To Ira500:

Wow, I must say I am surprised. But I never said I hated Starbucks. Do you? Compared to other American food/beverage chains Starbucks offers quite a classy atmosphere and I like the coffee there. Usually the people who work and go there are great people too. Let me give you some food chains/beverage chains that are from America and ones that I personally find to be lame places: Dunkin'Donuts(Boston area), Mcdonalds(Los Angeles area), Burger King(I think Miami area), Jack in the Box(I forgot where its from but definitely not Seattle), Ben and Jerrys(Vermont), Quiznos(Denver area), etc.

So out of all those food/beverage chains, Starbucks is my favorite. Overall, though I feel neutral that its from the Seattle area. Instead, I feel a sense of pride living here that Boeing, Microsoft, and Amazon.com are from here, as well as many music groups that are NOT grunge, as well as other things that are distinctly "Seattle," but for Starbucks, I feel neutral, with a mix of good and bad reactions to that which averages together to make me feel neutral that Starbucks is from Seattle.

Overall, though. That doesnt change how I much I LOVE Roy Street and Coffee. It definitely sets itself apart from Starbucks, and nothing about it will make someone feel like its connected to Starbucks, except that it says "Inspired by Starbucks"in a small sign somewhere. I have been to many different coffee/tea places, and restaurants, in 20 different states and 7 countries, and Roy Street Coffee and Tea is easily in the top 5 for best ambiance I ever saw in a restaurant, and/or coffee/tea place. It beats pretty much anything in New York City for the ambiance of a commercial place, with only the Tea Lounge in Park Slope, NYC being a close competitor, and Panna II Indian Restaurant in Alphabet City New York. I would still say Roy Street Coffee and Tea beats both of those places in ambiance. Did you ever go to Roy Street and Coffee? Are you actually trying to stigmatize that wonderful place?

And why do you seem to focus on that one "negative" in your post out of everything I said in my first post, out of all the independent coffee and tea places I mentioned? I mentioned about 15-20 different places and could easily say another ten for 10 more independent coffee places. I think you cant deny that Seattle has a great independent coffee and tea scene, despite Starbucks. One of the best independent coffee/tea scenes in the world. (Seattle's Asian restaurant scene, and independent coffee and tea scene beat New York, from my experience. Seattle's vegetarian/vegan restaurant scene is one of the best in America and in the world. Seattle in this one survey is also rated first out of all American cities for food supermarkets. I believe that to be true, however, I am not a fan of QFC and Safeway but a fan of PCC Natural Market and Whole Foods.

Even if someone hates Starbucks with a passion, someone can definitely find plenty to like about Seattle

Last edited by Thepastpresentandfuture; 04-12-2010 at 11:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2010, 10:59 PM

8,137 posts, read 14,057,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturalUrbanBalence View Post
To Ira500:

Wow, I must say I am surprised. But I never said I hated Starbucks. Do you? Compared to other American food/beverage chains Starbucks offers quite a classy atmosphere and I like the coffee there. Usually the people who work and go there are great people too. Let me give you some food chains/beverage chains that are from America and ones that I personally find to be lame places: Dunkin'Donuts(Boston area), Mcdonalds(Los Angeles area), Burger King(I think Miami area), Jack in the Box(I forgot where its from but definitely not Seattle), Ben and Jerrys(Vermont), Quiznos(Denver area), etc.

So out of all those food/beverage chains, Starbucks is my favorite. Overall, though I feel neutral that its from the Seattle area. Instead, I feel a sense of pride living here that Boeing, Microsoft, and Amazon.com are from here, as well as many music groups that are NOT grunge.

Overall, though. That doesnt change how I much I love Roy Street and Coffee. It definitely sets itself apart from Starbucks, and nothing about it will make someone feel like its connected to Starbucks, except that it says "Inspired by Starbucks"in a small sign somewhere. I have been to many different coffee/tea places, and restaurants, in 20 different states and 7 countries, and Roy Street Coffee and Tea is easily in the top 5 for best ambiance I ever saw in a restaurant, and/or coffee/tea place. It beats pretty much anything in New York City, with only the Tea Lounge in Park Slope, NYC being a close competitor, and Panna II Indian Restaurant in Alphabet City New York. I would still say Roy Street Coffee and Tea beats both of those places in ambiance. Did you ever go there?

And why do you focus on that one "negative" in your post, out of all the independent coffee and tea places I mentioned!? I mentioned about 15-20 different places and could easily say another ten for 10 more independent coffee places. I think you cant deny that Seattle has a great independent coffee and tea scene, despite Starbucks. One of the best independent coffee/tea scenes in the world.
All I was doing was responding to your last sentence, which stated that you NEVER go to Starbucks.
I don't hate Starbucks. I like the atmosphere well enough and the drip coffee is pretty good, but I think the coffee is over roasted. I have gone to Roy St Coffee as well as 15th Ave Coffee, the other secret Starbucks.I was shocked to find out they were Starbucks. And you're right, They're both very pleasant places to hang out. But the coffee itself? Eh. I also like Victrola on 15th Ave E.

Old 04-12-2010, 11:06 PM

4,794 posts, read 4,750,998 times
Oh. Wow, Im also surprised 15th avenue coffee and tea are owned by Starbucks. In a way, that is a cool business tactic Starbucks has to own and have places like Roy Street Coffee and Tea and 15th avenue coffee. I also like 15thavenue coffee and Victrola, but decided not to put them in my top 12.
What coffee did you have there? The Mocha with soy and at a medium temperature is one of the best mochas I ever had, from Roy Street Coffee and Tea. I never had coffee from 15th avenue coffee but will eventually. I actually dont like coffee drinks like esprosso that much. I only like to get Mocha and White Mocha coffee drink types.

Another coffee place that is seeming to become like Starbucks in coverage is Cafe Ladro. They have one in Fremont, two in downtown, two in Queene Anne, and two in Capital Hill, as well as other spots. I dont like that they have SO many places with the same name. However, the one in Fremont, one of the downtown ones, and one of the Queene Anne ones are truly amazing in ambiance and are very different from each other, even though they have the same name. The other Cafe Ladros are too similar to each other.
Hopefully, the owners of Cafe Ladro will change some of the names of the places they own, just like Roy Street coffee and tea and 15th avenue coffee being owned by starbucks. If not, Im just not going to support most of the Cafe Ladros with my money, ever. I hope they close one of the Cafe Ladros in Queene Anne, one of them in downtown, and one of them in Capital Hill. As well as one in Kirkland.

Last edited by Thepastpresentandfuture; 04-12-2010 at 11:18 PM..

Old 04-13-2010, 06:20 AM

8,137 posts, read 14,057,022 times
What coffee did you have there?

Double short dry cappuccino is my usual. I mostly drink coffee at home. I roast the beans, so it's quite a bit fresher, quite a bit cheaper, and while I enjoy the ambience of a nice cafe, I'm used to the lack of ambience at chez ira.

Old 04-13-2010, 08:53 AM

240 posts, read 315,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturalUrbanBalence View Post
I am anti- .... Ben and Jerry's, kind of person.
BLASPHEMY!! Ben and Jerry's ice cream is amazing!!

I only buy the overpriced little tubs of it from the grocery store, but it's soooo good!

Old 04-13-2010, 10:57 AM

88 posts, read 132,553 times
I love Ben and Jerry's Oatmeal cookie OMG>> its enough tomake me a fat gal for life... LOL

We tried Starbucks Pikes Place coffee, cause you have to say you been there.. to the first one. I liked it but not as much as the coffee we had at Caffe Vitta.. OMG

I have to say I love the local beer I tried while here too! Pale Ale is my thing.

Old 04-13-2010, 11:21 AM

88 posts, read 132,553 times
I love tea, too. Thanks for those. My hubby's the coffee drinker,I am the hot tea, wine, cheese lover LOl...

Old 04-13-2010, 02:34 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,999,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
What coffee did you have there?

Double short dry cappuccino is my usual. I mostly drink coffee at home. I roast the beans, so it's quite a bit fresher, quite a bit cheaper, and while I enjoy the ambience of a nice cafe, I'm used to the lack of ambience at chez ira.
All you need is to install some drop lighting, paint your walls dark colors and put on some non-offensive jazz. Then, sit in a corner by yourself with a laptop.
Bam, instant Starbucks ambiance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area