Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2010, 07:12 PM

4 posts, read 29,166 times

Advertisements

Which would be the best neighborhoods for a single late-20's female moving to Seattle? I will be attending law school at Seattle University so I would like to be somewhat close to the school. I have looked near the school and everything seems to be extremely expensive. Also I'm not sure how safe the neighborhood is there. Somebody suggested the Queen Anne area, which seems to be a little more affordable. I will be living alone so I would like to be in a safe area, and since I will be living off of student loans I would like to keep costs down. Any tips or suggestions to help with this balancing act would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2010, 10:01 PM

52 posts, read 249,553 times
Not sure where you are moving from, but Seattle is generally a safe city, with some less-safe areas. Unfortunately, south & east of SU is one of those. It isn't a gang-infested battleground, by any means, but it is also not the greatest place to be walking around alone at night.

I'd recommend Capitol Hill (generally north of the SU campus) as the best combination of safety and convenience to campus. Parts of Capitol Hill can seem somewhat gritty, but it isn't a dangerous neighborhood per se. Lots of apartment buildings, probably more than anywhere else in Seattle. Several grocery stores, shops, bars & restaurants, etc. Also very convenient to downtown. Depending on the location, you could easily walk to the SU campus in 20 minutes.

Queen Anne is a slightly longer commute (25-40 minutes by bus each way), although several bus routes from QA do go very close to the SU campus. Lower Queen Anne (the part not on the hill, close to Seattle Center) has lots of apartments, 3 grocery stores, restaurants, etc. Queen Anne Hill is is more expensive, has more families, and is very safe, but is closer to 40 minutes from SU vs. 25 for Lower QA.

You should be able to find a wide variety of apartments for $800-$1000/month. Not a lot is available below $800, and you might not want to live in those places anyways.

One thing to be aware of - there are a number of "moderate-income" apartment buildings that specifically exclude students, even if you have a job and are below the income limits.

Old 04-20-2010, 03:55 PM

4 posts, read 29,166 times
Thank you so much for the advice! This really helps - I was looking in the First Hill neighborhood, but it's good to know I should direct my search toward Capitol Hill instead.

Old 04-21-2010, 12:57 AM

52 posts, read 249,553 times
First Hill is convenient, and not a terrible neighborhood, but it has some significant downsides IMO (only 1 grocery store nearby, surrounded by hospitals = sirens all the time, not many bars/restaurants, no main business/shopping street).

Old 09-11-2013, 12:46 AM

7 posts, read 13,592 times
Izzle13 - Did you find a safe neighborhood? I'm in the same situation as you and would love some help

Old 09-11-2013, 06:23 AM

6,893 posts, read 8,933,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aa85 View Post
First Hill is convenient, and not a terrible neighborhood, but it has some significant downsides IMO (only 1 grocery store nearby, surrounded by hospitals = sirens all the time, not many bars/restaurants, no main business/shopping street).
What grocery store?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: