U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 04-20-2010, 12:16 AM

3 posts, read 29,367 times
Default Neighborhoods for a "young professional"

Hi,

I will be working in Everett, but I want to live in Seattle. The commute isn't necessarily a big deal, although I'd like to keep it to 30-45 mins max. I'm 21 years old and looking for an apartment somewhere where there's young people, but not crazy loud. I was considering the U-District and Queen Anne for the most part, but I'm wondering anyone could tell me some things about Ballard and Magnolia too. I hear U-District is too loud because of the university, but I'm worried Queen Anne is not close enough to the college kids. I am a Penn State graduate so being around good nightlife and young people is kind of a preference.

I want to live by myself in a nice place, not too densely populated, and I prefer there to be restaurants and places to grab a drink not too far away. I have it pictured in my head living in a multi-floored apartment complex with young professionals where it will be quiet enough to sleep but not too quiet at the same time where I don't feel near people my own age.

So how should I narrow it down between Queen Anne, U-District, Magnolia, Ballard, and any other neighborhoods I should know about?

Thanks in advance!
Quick reply to this message

Unread 04-20-2010, 12:27 AM

1 posts, read 14,262 times
Hi,

Here's my take: Magnolia is probably not your thing; it is generally very quiet, lots of single-family homes, not much nightlife, and a more middle-aged crowd. U-District proper is very noisy, and the available apartments are more "college flophouses". I would actually suggest the Wallingford area (adjacent to the U-District), and Fremont, which is also nearby. Wallingford is the quieter of the two, but both have lots of fun little restaurants and bars. Ballard will lengthen your commute a little more, and is much farther from the college crowd, both in distance and mood.
Hope this helps!

Unread 04-21-2010, 01:06 AM

52 posts, read 132,676 times
I'll second lionld on that. Wallingford and Fremont are good places if you don't want to be in the U District proper (most people I know don't want to hang around after graduation too long).

Queen Anne, which I think is a great option for many people, is probably not as great for you. Queen Anne Hill is pretty quiet, rich, and has more families. Even though Seattle Pacific University is nearby, is is not exactly a party school (pretty much the opposite). Lower Queen Anne & Belltown have more activity, and younger residents, but not many college students - more of a 20s-30s crowd.

Working in Everett = Boeing? Regardless, I assume you need a car. You'll probably want to find a parking space with your apartment, if you can, because it can be difficult to park on the street in the more densely populated areas.

Unread 04-21-2010, 02:25 PM

441 posts, read 1,027,961 times
Belltown is popular. Quite busy on the weekends although last call is at 1:30-2:00am. Some people don't like it because they say it's dangerous or they just want something quieter.

Unread 04-21-2010, 03:42 PM

1,168 posts, read 1,412,145 times
If you are commuting to Everett in normal hours, the north morning commute is never too bad. coming back in the evening can be very tough (hour or so) at times.

Unread 04-21-2010, 09:13 PM

3 posts, read 29,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionld View Post
I would actually suggest the Wallingford area (adjacent to the U-District), and Fremont, which is also nearby.
Fremont seems pretty... out there... and kind of too artistic for me. Is Wallingford a nice looking area? And what's directly adjacent to the U-District? I definitely don't want to live in flophouses!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa85 View Post
Lower Queen Anne & Belltown have more activity, and younger residents, but not many college students - more of a 20s-30s crowd.
Does Lower Queen Anne have nice apartments, or is it like the U-District?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa85 View Post
Working in Everett = Boeing? Regardless, I assume you need a car. You'll probably want to find a parking space with your apartment, if you can, because it can be difficult to park on the street in the more densely populated areas.
Yeah Boeing, and I'll definitely be sure to get a parking spot with my apartment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobester View Post
If you are commuting to Everett in normal hours, the north morning commute is never too bad. coming back in the evening can be very tough (hour or so) at times.
Good to know. Isn't that pretty much the case no matter where I live in Seattle?

Thanks for all your help!

Unread 04-22-2010, 12:29 AM

4,637 posts, read 3,980,786 times
Based on your circumstances and what you are looking for, I think the best neighborhood choices in Seattle are the

1. Capital Hill neighborhood ( Olive Way area from Melrose Avenue to Broadway, Broadway area from Prospect Street to E Madison Street, 15th avenue area from Aloha St. to Denny Way, areas of extreme northwestern and southwestern Capital Hill)

2. Queen Anne neighborhood (In the Queen Anne area from Denny Way to Mcgraw St., near Kerry Park, near Kinnear park)

3. Ballard area( Areas around Leary way and Northwest Market street in Ballard from 45th st. to nw 65th st.)

4. University District (41th st. to 50th st between 7th avenue and 15th avenue, and areas around University Way)

I actually don’t think University District is that loud for the most part. It seems laid back to me. All these neighborhoods I mentioned seem laid back to me but also still dynamic and filled with excitement at the same time.

Capital Hill, Queen Anne, Ballard, and University District all have plenty of young people, yuppies(young urban professionals, artsy types, and some that are yuppie and artsy at the same time, and other. There is good nightlife in all of these neighborhoods I mentioned, as well as great independent coffee and tea places, great restaurants, great architecture, and other great urban things as well. All these neighborhoods also have great medium density apartment options!

Based on these neighborhoods options, Ill rank them from best option to least best option based on what you are looking for:

1. A “nice” place: Capital Hill, Queen Anne, Ballard, University District (All of them are nice places, though)

2. Not too densely populated: Ballard, Queen Anne, Capital Hill, University District (All of them are not too densely populated but still have enough density, however University District doesn’t nearly do as well as the other three neighborhood options)

3. Restaurants, a place to drink, nightlife, other urban amenities like that: Capital Hill, University District, Ballard, Queen Anne (All of them have great urban amenities, but Capital Hill and University District seem to do quite a bit better than Ballard and Queen Anne)

4. Decent multi-floored apartment complexes: Capital Hill, Queen Anne, Ballard, University District (All of them have decent multi-floored apartment complexes but Capital Hill have much more options for this than Queene Anne, and Queen Anne have much more options then Ballard and University District

5. Urban professional types, artsy types, and urban professional/artsy at the same time: Capital Hill, Queen Anne, Ballard, University district (All of these neighborhoods have plenty of people like that.)

6. Convenient to Everett: University District, Capital Hill, Ballard, Queen Anne (Capital Hill and University District are much more convenient to Everett than Ballard and Queen Anne because its closer to Interstate 5 north)

7. Quiet enough but not too quiet or too loud: Ballard, Queen Anne, Capital Hill, University District (All of them do well in this category but Ballard especially)

8. Young people around your age group: University District, Capital Hill, Ballard, Queen Anne (I think Queen Anne doesn’t do nearly as well in this category as the other three)

I believe Magnolia would be a horrible neighborhood option for you. Discovery Park there is nice but the urban amenities in Magnolia are severely lacking compared to neighborhoods like Capital Hill, Queen Anne, Ballard, and University District and its not a convenient place to Everett. Its also too quiet and doesn’t have a good quiet-loud balance that the 4 neighborhoods I mentioned do. I would have included West Seattle, but its not convenient to Everett. so I left West Seattle out. If West Seattle was closer to Everett, it would have been a legitimate option possibility.

What is great about neighborhoods like Capital Hill, Queen Anne, Ballard, University District, and Queen Anne is that they offer a lot of similar things, have similar demographics, have similar urban amenities, but distinguish themselves from each other quite a lot at the same time, and its great that paradox exists for these neighborhoods.
Seattle has a lot of great neighborhoods, and less “bad” neighborhoods for relative percentage compared to other cities.

For the most part, I have similar neighborhood preferences as you do for density, urban amenities, culture, and type of people it attracts. However, Im not able to live yet in neither of my favorite Seattle neighborhoods, but I still like the neighborhood I live in. Hopefully, in the future, Ill be able to live in Capital Hill, Ballard, University District, Queen Anne, West Seattle, or Wallingford.

These are my top 10 favorite Seattle neighborhoods from favorite to tenth favorite: 1. Capital Hill 2. West Seattle 3. Queen Anne 4. Downtown 5. University District 6. Ballard 7. Wallingford 7. Fremont 8. Belltown 9. Greenwood/Phinney Ridge 10. Greenlake (The top 8 of the top 10, are some of my favorite neighborhoods I have been to in the world)

There are some Seattle neighborhoods that i like but dont necessarily love like my top 10, some that I feel neutral about, and only a few that I dont like. Compared to other cities, Seattle definitely has a higher percentage of neighborhoods I love or like vs. the ones I dont like.

Good luck on your neighborhood search!

Last edited by Thepastpresentandfuture; 04-22-2010 at 12:49 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area