Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2010, 07:19 PM

2 posts, read 3,377 times

Advertisements

Is Seattle right for me?

I am a 28 year old single White Man from Dallas Tx looking for a new place to call home. Here are some of the things I am hoping to find in seattle. Please let me know I am looking in the right place. I have been reading the forums for a while now so I will address some common issues I've read about but I also want some questions answered. Thanks

WEATHER: I don't mind the cloudy or rainy weather. Some might find it depressing however I find the overbearing heat and smoldering sunshine more depressing. I am a laid back kinda of personality so curling up with a good book on a stormy day is a pleasure for me. However, I don't want to live any where that is hot or too cold, just right.

PEOPLE: I am tired of living in the most religious, right-wing, illiterate state in america. Being surrounded by red-neck white trash in their trucks and suv's make me feel like I am fleeing dinosaurs in jurassic park (think Jeff Goldblum). My personality consists of being a atheist, leftist libertarian, musician and introvert. I like the Anonymity of a big city while still being around semi friendly people if I wanted to strike up a conversation.

Music, Arts, Museums & Libraries: Having a culture is something sadly lacking from where I'm from. Low cost fun things to do in the city would really be great. I have read this is a great town for culture but it is affordable and public friendly?

B) I am also a musician but it's just a hobby. But, I would still enjoy playing in a band around town. Is there still a music scene in Seattle?

Public Transport: I plan to live in Seattle without a car for the first 6 months. I have all of my savings tied up in living expenses so I would like to find out how much the monthly cost is for public transportation? Also how reliable is it for time?

Location: With all that is listed with wanting a metropolitan lifestyle where to live? I have saw ads on craigslist for rooms for rent. That seems to be my best bet for my budget ($650/month rent +/- $100). I plan to just fly out to seattle and live somewhere that a car is not needed. Suggestions please?

Jobs: I have worked all types of jobs in my life. My education history involves about 30hrs of college credit. I might like to go back if I can find a job field that interests me but universities in TX have not been that promising. I've worked residential remodeling for my fathers company since high school off an on. I loved the feeling of being out doors with no office politics. Just me and the work and the gratification of the finished project. However, Immigration in TX has driving the wages far below a living level and put me and my father out of work. I wouldn't mind working construction again but I would prefer not having to own a truck and tools to make a living. Too much over head.

I am looking for all sorts of job ideas. From manufacturing to anything tradesman type job. I would mind working for boeing since aviation has always fascinated me. The idea having my hands on something that fly's is pretty cool. But more important is finding a job right off the plane that I can immediately start making cash and not blow through my savings. Is there anything besides food service thats and option?

So in summary, I need a location that has cheap but decent rooms for rent with lots of public transport options, a job that is close to get to that I can start immediately, and that has a night life with cool public entertainment. Thanks in advance for the advice.

Luke
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2010, 07:29 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,871,819 times
As always, it's best to have a job before you move here. Unless you have a very specialized degree, it's hard as heck to get a job here. My husband been trying to land a FT job for almost a year now (he is a Line Cook)... Personally I kinda doubt things will get better soon. As for Boeing, bad timing-- you now have way too many people competing for those jobs and they might possibly lay off some more people (while hiring for other positions). Just look into temporary agencies.

But otherwise, all what you're looking for can be found here. We are more likely to have windstorms than thunderstorms, but otherwise weather is very mild. You might as well look into Fremont, Ballard, Columbia City, its close to DT Seattle-- pretty eclectic, got lots of things going on-- multicultural and artsy; and CC is right next to the Light rail, others great metro system.

Old 04-30-2010, 08:03 PM

2 posts, read 3,377 times
Thanks for the quick reply and thanks for the heads up on Boeing. I just heard that aerospace and food industry was big business up there. I guess I will try and looking for another industry. I really don't care if I pick up trash or work in a warehouse. The pictures and the weather stats have really sold me on seattle. Now I just have to find a way to work it out. Seems like lots of machinist and manufacturing jobs in craigslist but I was looking for something more entry level just to get some cash coming in. But I guess there isn't a lot of work anywhere for unskilled labor.

Luke

Old 04-30-2010, 09:35 PM

404 posts, read 1,031,099 times
I think Seattle would be a perfect fit for you socially, but try to work out the financial aspect of this move. Everything is much more expensive than it is in Texas. I personally think you should research a little bit more about that and then perhaps see if you can secure a job before moving.

As for transportation, I don't know how Dallas' transportation is, but public transportation down here in the Houston area is a joke. If you live in a populated area, you will have no problem catching a bus and maybe even light rail depending on where you live and where you work. Most buses come very frequently, so even if you miss the one you were supposed to catch, you won't have to wait 2 hours for the next one.

Old 05-06-2010, 01:09 AM
esc

13 posts, read 54,158 times
Stay out. The last thing we need here is another texan.

Old 05-06-2010, 11:48 AM

1,489 posts, read 3,601,455 times
I moved to Seattle from Texas at age 30 (I lived in Dallas for a year). Best bet: try a contract position at someplace like Boeing and work your way in.

The year I lived in Dallas was the longest 5 years of my life. Best move I have made to date.

Old 05-07-2010, 03:21 PM

807 posts, read 2,258,314 times
Wanted:

Extroverted Single White Females to move to Seattle, pls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: