Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2010, 01:27 AM

1,292 posts, read 4,704,642 times

Advertisements

i was considering going to Cascadia then to UWB. I know what downtown Seattle consists of but what about Bothell? So far I see a lot of ..wine? Is this a suburban area? I can't really get a feel for this place because I am not able to get enough info on it for some reason. As a 20 year old what should I expect? Is there a nightlife? Is it expensive (rent, food transportation?) hmm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2010, 08:59 AM

159 posts, read 626,153 times
Yeah, Bothell is pretty suburban, and the campus is surrounded by a residential area right off the interstate. There is a cute little downtown area not too far from campus (Bothell is actually an old town, I think, and the suburbs grew up around it), but there's not much nightlife to speak of. It's not really a college town.

You could probably find an affordable apartment, and I know there are some apartment complexes right next to campus. If you'd rather live in a place with more excitement, bear in mind that it's kind of a pain to get to campus from Seattle. I lived in Everett when I took classes at UWB, which was fine (and a lot cheaper than Seattle), but a lot of Everett seems suburban too.

Old 05-06-2010, 09:51 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,870,170 times
Where UWB/Cascadia is located, you will not be seeing the wine fields, you'll have to drive 10 minutes east into Woodinville for that. The campus is located next to a busy freeway conjunction, so it won't have immediately have any ambience until you enter the driveway into the campus where it's seems like it's surrounded by nature.

The Bothell DT is only a few minutes away, but it still seems disconnected.

For what you're looking for (a party, spirited school and all), I don't think you're going to get THAT. Once you're in UWB, you can't even take classes at the UW Seattle (or Tacoma) campus.

Old 05-08-2010, 06:41 PM

Wow thats odd

Old 05-08-2010, 06:47 PM

159 posts, read 626,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders15 View Post
Wow thats odd
Community colleges aren't exactly known for creating college town atmospheres, and UWB has a commuter campus. Plus, when I was there, most of my classmates and I were working full-time and attending classes part-time. If you want the real college experience, enroll at the Seattle campus.

Old 05-16-2010, 01:59 PM

16 posts, read 51,271 times
As to vineyards,it's actually mostly just wineries in a Industrial setting in Woodinville,WA(2009 ranked #1 winery overall in the world is there)
The UWB campus is nice and the housing situation from our previous house hunting exp is far less costly than similar Seattle offerings.
Definitely stay away from the large property management companies!!! and you should do well.
The Sammamish river runs through the old part of Bothell,and by Downtown
A major bike trail takes you into Seattle or out to Woodinville and beyond
We selected this Township after reviewing crime,cost of living, accessibility to everything and schools
Petty theft is prevalent,as 2 of our bikes have disappeared at the super market but overall feels very safe
The Ale House is the only real Pub/Tavern right in Bothell,but luckily one of the better ones around on the east side,local micros and an affordable chef inspired menu that changes daily
The streets are lined with mature trees and landscaping,also people here lean to the friendly side
Nightlife, Bellevue,Kirkland and Kenmore are the places we go,minutes away
Recently much money has been spent on road access into UWB and Cascade Community College+ Cascade is one of the top 2 ranked schools in the United states
Recommended definitely,and you are at the nexus to many communities
Oh,Bothell is 22 minutes by car,40 minutes by bus to downtown Seattle
(non rush hour)
There should be jobs out here as plenty of small businesses are in operation throughout
Cafe Ladro and The Lyons Den are 2 of the independent coffee cafes we frequent,both have free internet and breakfast,Ladro has a great Granola cereal,a huge serving for starving students?Ha!
The downtown is in a transition,more pedestrian walkways,and main street is being extended 5-6 blocks west. New cafes,housing..etc.

Good Luck!

Old 05-16-2010, 10:54 PM

thanks!

Old 05-18-2010, 10:48 AM

I've decided to just take online classes for now at Cascadia, anyone have any experience with them online?

I am really pleased with how their service is just when I call. They know EVERYTHING and to be honest I'm not used to it lol. I'm just going to save up a lot and go for a trip first.

Old 05-24-2010, 12:34 AM

214 posts, read 649,753 times
IT is a great CC just be careful of the financial aid office my fiance goes there and that praticular section of the school is a NIGHTMARE of miss information. They have caused us countless headaches over the last 2 years.

Bothell its self is just a suburb area and we currently live here. I like it alot but there is no night life at all lol Most people drive to seattle or bellevue for that any way but it is a great place to live. Honestly though its pretty expensive if you are in college, we are paying $1600 a month for a 3 bedroom 2 bath house......but I really dont think you would find an apartment for rent any where in the area for under $900. I know that there are apartments right next to the college that do give a price break to students in conjunction with the school.

Old 06-03-2010, 02:21 PM

16 posts, read 51,271 times
Housing is not that expensive, we rent a 2 bdrm house,1 bath for less than 900. there are creative ways to pay less out here,just depends on how hard you want to work at it. Bothell is actually 3 parts, old town,mill creek and Juanita. Woodinville city limits are a mile or less from the college and on the Burke Gilman Trail you can get there in minutes.

There is one major huge micro brewery complex in Woodinville,restaurant and everything.
I personally think they have little atmosphere there and the prices for being at the brewery are a no go

Old town Bothell is the best part really,streets are easy to walk around on,lovely old landscape,not much of that urban burban feel
Houses are small and well cared for,won't see much in the way of huge estate mongering crapola

Mill creek reminds us of cookie cutter homes and apts,no mojo there

Juanita is rural kind of,too cut off for my tastes

any other specifics,ask away
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area