U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 02:12 AM

1,319 posts, read 1,482,058 times

Advertisements

I would like to throw in also that although those "eastside" schools are top rated, they are not suited for everyone. I live in Bellevue and my children attend small private schools in Seattle. I know the thread was mainly pointing out which district was better rated, however, with those high ratings, comes a hefty price and pressures placed on these kids to do well at a very young age. IMHO... I totally disagree with this philosophy which is why my children no longer attend our local public schools in Bellevue. I don't want to get into my personal saga here but I will say that although it's costing me a fortune to send my kids to private schools in Seattle, to see them happy, less stressed and actually enjoy learning is all worth every penny. Both my kids were frustrated and miserable. Bellevue schools have consistantly ranked in the top 100 in the nation every year in News Week magazine and I can tell you from experience that is all the Administration/School District care about. It's definitely not what is best for the students (especially at the HS level). I can't say this is the case at all east side schools but it's definitely the case in Bellevue and what I have experienced personally. My apologies if I took this thread in a different direction but for anyone comparing school districts, I want people to know the downside of these top ranked schools. I personally know people that have children that attend SPD and are extremely happy with their education.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2010, 10:11 AM

3,177 posts, read 10,201,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
"Most educated" refers to adults, and doesn't reflect directly on the school system. This means that there are a lot of white collar research and programming jobs here that attract college graduates from all over the country (and world).
I agree. The poster is thinking that people educated in Seattle Public school system are the ones of the "highly educated" adults working in Seattle, which is comparing an apple to an orange.

The Highly Educated Adults are coming from all over the world, most of the working highly educated did not get their education in Seattle.

Old 05-19-2010, 11:21 AM

8,335 posts, read 14,857,085 times
I've heard very similar stories to jojo7's about Bellevue's schools. We all like to think that our children are gifted and excel at academia, but gearing the teaching towards those students leaves out a lot of kids who might excel in an environment with less pressure.
In Seattle, if your kid goes to a neighborhood school and is academically oriented, he/she may be stifled because the teaching is geared towards more basic studies. In Bellevue, your less academically or average student might get lost/stressed out/overly pressured because the teaching is geared towards the more academically oriented.

Old 05-19-2010, 02:19 PM

3,617 posts, read 6,996,146 times
Keep in mind that that people who are highly educated tend to have fewer children than those who are not as well educated if they have kids at all. Also keep in mind that only about 60% of Seattle's school-aged children attend Seattle Public Schools. Highly-educated usually means that those families have the resources to send their kids to private schools.

There are also a lot more families on reduced or free lunches in Seattle Schools than on the Eastside, which is has a strong correlation to academic performance. Kids who are undernourished early in life have disadvantages in cognitive development that hamper them in school. Many Seattle Schools are doing the best they can with the students and families that they have to work with, but that leaves fewer resources available for the students at the other end of the academic and cognitive spectrum.

Old 05-19-2010, 04:26 PM

5,611 posts, read 6,593,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo7 View Post
Both my kids were frustrated and miserable. Bellevue schools have consistantly ranked in the top 100 in the nation every year in News Week magazine and I can tell you from experience that is all the Administration/School District care about. It's definitely not what is best for the students (especially at the HS level). I can't say this is the case at all east side schools but it's definitely the case in Bellevue and what I have experienced personally.
Yet my experience with Bellevue SD during HS shows the Admins going out of their way to help me when I started flailing, getting me the help I needed plus adjusting my classes just so I could handle it. I could've been one of those students that fallen through the cracks of public school education, after all I am one of those At-Risk students. And yet they were the only ones that helped me, pulled me out and even encouraged that I do Running Start (which ultimately was the best path of schooling for me). They had me take one class in the HS I attended so that they could keep tabs and see how I was doing during Running Start.

Now the previous SD I attended, Highline SD, they definitely earn their low rankings. I never been more frustrated and miserable.

Old 05-19-2010, 08:48 PM

1,319 posts, read 1,482,058 times
Most of the kids that fall through the cracks and are struggling get sent off to Robinswood which if for kids who are struggling academically and cannot handle the load of regular classes. That seemed to be the only option they offered my son. Unfortunately, it's not just the kids struggling academically that go there but kids with other issues and I didn't agree with this option. For my son, Bellevue HS was the worse school experience, according to him and it wasn't just the administration, it was other things as well. I am very happy to hear the school was able to help you and guide you in the right direction. That is what they should do for all students.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
Yet my experience with Bellevue SD during HS shows the Admins going out of their way to help me when I started flailing, getting me the help I needed plus adjusting my classes just so I could handle it. I could've been one of those students that fallen through the cracks of public school education, after all I am one of those At-Risk students. And yet they were the only ones that helped me, pulled me out and even encouraged that I do Running Start (which ultimately was the best path of schooling for me). They had me take one class in the HS I attended so that they could keep tabs and see how I was doing during Running Start.

Now the previous SD I attended, Highline SD, they definitely earn their low rankings. I never been more frustrated and miserable.

Old 05-20-2010, 06:00 PM

11 posts, read 15,303 times
How does this lottery system apply to a family that has just moved to Seattle? What happens if say, you're staying in corporate housing in one are of the city and end up buying a house in another. Where do your kids go to school?

Old 05-21-2010, 04:04 PM

1,938 posts, read 3,915,414 times
I don't know the answer to that. Call Seattle Public Schools and ask for the best answer.

Old 05-21-2010, 09:56 PM

3,177 posts, read 10,201,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint950 View Post
How does this lottery system apply to a family that has just moved to Seattle? What happens if say, you're staying in corporate housing in one are of the city and end up buying a house in another. Where do your kids go to school?
We requested the school as one of our top three, and then if you get in or get on the wait list, and move, (Say your kid started the school too) We had to get a letter from the principal to give to school district for him to stay in the school we choose even though we moved.

Old 05-21-2010, 11:38 PM

1,938 posts, read 3,915,414 times
The lottery system has been phased out but will still have an impact as they are not forcing kids to leave a school that have already started prior to this changed, even if they are not zoned to that school by address. So it's possible you could be zoned in a neighborhood school but it has no room because of students related to the lottery years still occupying spots. I would call SPS as a lot has changed this past year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area