U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 10:15 AM

4,810 posts, read 4,923,685 times
To Arushan: I also get headaches too if the temperatures are above 85+ degrees, and if the air quality is bad especially.

During this time of the year, even if its cloudy, someone can still technically get direct sun exposure because the sun rays go through the clouds.

I dont doubt those statistics neither.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
To la_fuerza: Its great seeing someone else who can see the positives about the weather/climate here. At the beginning of this thread, it started to feel like I was the only one. Good luck on coming back to Seattle!

Old 05-30-2010, 03:45 PM

236 posts, read 284,910 times
HeyHoliday:

Hawaii, was really fun, went there last year for our anniversary, did snokerling,luau, kayaking, parasailing, road to hana, and sitting at the beach. I love that climate but I asked the locals where/what do they do to get away for a vacation. But waking up at 7:30 to temps of a brisk 70 and by 9 they are up to 80s is a dream location.

I think my ideal location would be Anaheim CA the weather in So Cal is perfect for me. Went there in Jan and it got up to 84, went again in Feb and it was 75-80. But the cost of living is way beyond what we are willing to sacrifice here. I am pretty sure everyone know the economic conditions here are pretty favorable when compared to other places. Also to get rid of our house is another challenge in itself. Although we bought in 2009, the market is still declining as far as median house prices.

I want to clarify to others. Its not the temperatures in Seattle I am struggling with, its the lack of sunshine. ie May 2010 has only had 4 days go above 70 and be mostly clear. I say that because I see some commenting on the temperatures which I think vary little in Seattle probably average between 40-60 all times of the year.

But I enjoy the discussion I am running it by my wife.

Old 05-30-2010, 03:52 PM

3,585 posts, read 6,813,917 times
I wonder how much of SAD is a natural cycle effect where we just slow down in the dark months, sort of like a mini-hibernation? In the spring and summer and fall we need to be working to gather food and store them up for winter, and in the winter we just need to hunker down and survive until the cycle begins again. Maybe what we are interpreting as depression is just natures way of slowing us down and conserving energy for the busier months of summer.

Just a thought.

Old 05-30-2010, 04:01 PM

236 posts, read 284,910 times
sean98125,

Perhaps, when I lived in Alaska, I complained about the cold weather. Although snowsports are pretty fun, Loved the people, and scenery it was ultimately the cold weather. Again, a place where making six figure salary isnt that hard but you will work for it. I dont ever remember being down and out about the extreme cold but it could be the grass is greener mentality where I hold Alaska in alot higher regard since I dont live there and its memories rather than holding a grudge. I love everything about Seattle but the weather and the drivers....but that is another discussion. Had some friends just come through for a few days (from Central CA) and they were getting antsy after seeing the rain for the 5 days they were here. THey loved everything else though.

Old 05-30-2010, 06:21 PM

145 posts, read 393,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irrational exuberance View Post
I am reading threads that talk about weather related depression, I have live in this Seattle area for going on 10 years and the first winter it didnt really bother me, but until last year I find myself sluggish on cloudy/rainy days with no motivation to do anything. I am an outdoors person.

It is never consistently nice here (30 days in a row of predominately sunshine). Always cloudy or raining. This month has been the worst May I have ever experienced in my life and I have lived in Alaska (fairbanks), Georgia, and Alabama.

I dont want to make this a thread bashing Seattle weather but I do want to know how do people overcome this? I travel frequently, either to So Cal, somewhere tropical or the south east but it is becoming to the point where that isnt enough.

Man, I thought I was the only one going nuts. I heard them calling it Mayvember on the local news. The whole winter/spring I was fine until April, where it seemed like the weather wasn't getting better each week like it was in previous months. (I think it rained 30% more than normal that month) Now May comes and we had like 9 days of sun, then bam, back to chilly weather.

Today I was starting to compalin a bit about it...but I went outside and it's actually really nice out. The air is clean and the trees and flowers are always beautiful. I think the inside temps are just too chilly and you start feeling like you're living in a cold cave...where outside always seems to feel better than inside my dungeon. Still, it's better than mozzies, humidity, and roaches much of the rest of the country will soon be experiencing.

Note to future residents: NEVER get a north facing apartment that is ground level!

Old 05-30-2010, 06:40 PM

480 posts, read 556,234 times
May summary:

http://www.beautifulseattle.com/mthsum.asp

Old 05-30-2010, 06:59 PM

917 posts, read 1,175,816 times
Seasonal affective Disorder definitely affects some people during the cold, cloudy, and short days of winter. This person I worked with who moved down to Florida from the Northeast actually told me that him suffering from SAD is one of the reasons he moved to Florida. I think it was New York where he lived before and said that when Jan came around he wasn't himself. He seemed to get depressed and lack energy.

Even though it can get really hot and humid here in Florida in the summers he prefers it to the gloomy cold winters from the north. Well, if Seattle's winter are much more gloomy than up in the northeast, I can definitely see how it can affect many people up in the pacific NW.

I've been to Seattle a few times and I am planning on going there for several weeks this summer, but I've never been there in the winter or spring, so I myself have never experienced the shorter days and constant rain. In the summer though, Seattle is BEAUTIFUL!

Old 05-30-2010, 09:35 PM

5,012 posts, read 6,279,577 times
Sometimes, it's simply a case of "the grass is greener" syndrome. Or then again, sometimes it isn't. A friend of mine who moved to Phoenix couldn't be happier. She hate the rudeness of the denizens and the crazy drivers and the borderline white supremacy mentality, and the tired cowboy mentality of things out there ...

But she loves it because of the sun. She's also made some friends there. She made a lot of friends here too. It's weird how the weather can affect people like this.

If the OP's been here for 10 years ... I don't know if people can "develop" SAD ... I think it's something people are born with and people who simply are suffering from "grass is greener" syndrome or trying to misplace a different psychological suffering and using SAD as a scapegoat are more likely.

Old 05-30-2010, 09:45 PM

5,522 posts, read 6,245,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
Sometimes, it's simply a case of "the grass is greener" syndrome. Or then again, sometimes it isn't. A friend of mine who moved to Phoenix couldn't be happier. She hate the rudeness of the denizens and the crazy drivers and the borderline white supremacy mentality, and the tired cowboy mentality of things out there ...

But she loves it because of the sun. She's also made some friends there. She made a lot of friends here too. It's weird how the weather can affect people like this.

If the OP's been here for 10 years ... I don't know if people can "develop" SAD ... I think it's something people are born with and people who simply are suffering from "grass is greener" syndrome or trying to misplace a different psychological suffering and using SAD as a scapegoat are more likely.
I was under the impression that after the 1st winter, the winters for OP just got worse and worse til this winter where s/he felt too sluggish to do anything and that the sun-filled vacays weren't working anymore.

Old 05-30-2010, 09:52 PM

3,737 posts, read 5,306,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post

My doctor up there told me it sometimes worsens with aging as was my case. As far as the grass is always greener, I don't know about that. We moved away about a year and half ago and within two months of leaving Seattle, I felt so much better than I'd felt in years and haven't really experienced the lethargy down here that I did up there. There were a couple of times this past winter where we would go three or four days without seeing the sun and by the end of those stretches it was harder to get to the gym, clean the house etc. Some of us are really affected by the lack of light.

If I were "misplacing" (do you mean misidentifying?) psychological suffering attributable to something different and blaming SAD, then I wouldn't have had the dramatic, and it's been dramatic, turn around in mood and energy that I've had in the last year and a half. I'm still married to the same spouse, still have the same kid, still am the same person, but I have much more energy. I don't see the grass being greener anyplace else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area