U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-17-2007, 08:57 PM

5 posts, read 18,514 times

Advertisements

I'll be taking the test this August and I like to plan ahead for the best, so im trying to find some stuff out about moving there.

How is it commuting into the city? I'm looking for a woodsie hillie area to live in and dont mind commuting an hour or so to get to work.

Any help would be appreciated

Also, hows the Police front looking out there as far as jobs go you guys seem to be hiring constantly from some forums ive read!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2007, 10:51 PM

40 posts, read 147,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judokamiata View Post
I'll be taking the test this August and I like to plan ahead for the best, so im trying to find some stuff out about moving there.

How is it commuting into the city? I'm looking for a woodsie hillie area to live in and dont mind commuting an hour or so to get to work.

Any help would be appreciated

Also, hows the Police front looking out there as far as jobs go you guys seem to be hiring constantly from some forums ive read!
You asked about the police so here's my take on it:

Seattle Police are terrible. I could really go on and on. I'm a criminal defense attorney and I can think of a number of police officers that I think lie, embellish police reports, and pick a victim and then skew their reports to fit the DV victim they've picked. I also think that a large number of police are very badge heavy. I could give you a lot of specific examples from my own trials and motions experience but I don't want to do that here.

On the extreme end of it, this Seattle police officer has been in the news for essentially skewing police reports and general dishonesty:
Local News | City attorney stops release of report critical of police | Seattle Times Newspaper

I can think of one good DRE officer that SPD has. I guess that's something!

I was just in trial the other day and watched first-hand the prosecutor educate an officer on the difference between DWLS-First Degree, and NVOLOP. (this was all off the record) It was clear the officer didn't know the key distinguishing elements!! Yikes!

The Washington State Patrol are MUCH better. If you're going to be in law enforcement could you some how join the state patrol? If it were me, I'd be concerned about the reputation of the agency that I'm joining. I've had trials with WSP officers too, and somehow they are WAY better trained on 4th amendment issues, and the law generally.

From what I can see from my colleagues, the Bellevue Police are perhaps a tad better than the Seattle Police. If you want something woodsie, you might look on the east side too. It's clear to me that Bellevue has more police for the size of their town in comparison to Seattle, so I suspect they have more time to be adequately trained, do investigations, and who knows, maybe they have more money.

Bremerton Police are crooked and horrible and extremely badge heavy. I had a case in Kitsap County where a 12-year-old girl was maced by 2 Bremerton Officers who were serving a truancy warrant. She had ZERO criminal history and was not armed or dangerous.

I don't know where you're coming from, and you sound like you'll be new to law enforcement, but from the little bit you've mentioned, I suggest you look at the Bellevue Police Department. To my knowledge, Bellevue Police have never been through the horrendous problems of the SPD.

OT:
I went to a GREAT CLE comparing the 2 means of eyewitness identification employed by various police departments. One is the "sequential double-blind" up theory which has been adopted in many places, including the entire state of New Jersey and most of Massachusetts. The other is the traditional "6-at-the-same-time-photo-line-up" method. The double-blind method is considered to be much more reliable and I'm confident one day it will be used everywhere in the country. At this CLE both defense and prosecutors were welcome to attend together!! And there were police officers there too! Some high up guy from the SPD came to it and spoke at the very end and basically said that he was letting his officers make the switch between and their own discretion, and "we've always done it the traditional way, so we'll just keep doing it that way." He made Seattle look like they had egg on their face and you could see the Massachusetts chief of police looking at him like he had 2 heads.

Btw, if you're interested in the ID topic - this blog has some good info-http://eyeid.blogspot.com/search/label/double-blind

Good luck! And I hope I don't see you on the witness stand anytime soon! Btw, feel free to PM me if you want to talk more.

Old 06-18-2007, 03:26 PM

5 posts, read 18,514 times
Thank you very much for the indepth reply. I have heard alot of not so great things about the Seattle PD which is a shame. I hear so many good things about the city.

I have looked into Bellevue but atm am around 10 credits short of meeting the minimum requirements

Sounds like a wonderful spot though. Who knows, maybe a lateral transfer in the future if I do make it into the Seattle PD

I was actually looking for information on how tough it is to actually land a job...competition. Here in NJ, it is impossible unless you know someone, and even then sometimes it takes years, police can make up to 100k without overtime, thats as a basic patrolman!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area