Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 03:09 PM

1,530 posts, read 1,533,012 times

Advertisements

This ramification is very upsetting. They need to warn the people and stop covering their a$$.

YouTube - OilWater samples from Gulf..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2010, 06:20 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,184,922 times
Quote:
Oil and water samples were taken from both the Shores of Grand Isle and from 20 miles out. The preliminary analysis was done at an academic analytical chemistry laboratory. Looking for the likely pollutants from the deep water Horizon Oil spill. It was focused on the detection of benzene and propylene glycol. Benzene and other highly toxic contaminants were very low however the concentration of propylene glycol was between 360 and 440 parts per million. Just 25 parts per million is know to kill most fish and propylene glycol is just one of many ingredients found in Corexit. In short, the Gulf is being poisoned by BP’s usage of the dispersants even after the EPA asked them to stop back in May. We are willing to provide ANY respected/known laboratory these samples or provide them with more. This is very serious to all people and marine life in and around the Gulf.
From the blog linked to the great video posted by UpNort.

On a good note:

Quote:
On Friday, the Coast Guard commander overseeing the response, Adm Thad Allen, said the flow of leaking oil could be shut off by Monday. But in that time hundreds of thousands of barrels of oil could flow unabated into the ocean.
"We have a significant chance to dramatically reduce the oil that's being released into the environment and maybe shut the well in altogether in the next week," he said.
from this article on Friday:
BBC News - BP in new attempt to plug Gulf of Mexico oil leak

Old 07-10-2010, 07:27 PM

185 posts, read 404,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
From the blog linked to the great video posted by UpNort.

On a good note:

from this article on Friday:
BBC News - BP in new attempt to plug Gulf of Mexico oil leak
Moderator cut: personal attack Lets have a critical look at the claims from that blog.
The preliminary analysis was done at an academic analytical chemistry laboratory
What lab, and where are the citations? What is the institution?
Benzene and other highly toxic contaminants were very low however the concentration of propylene glycol was between 360 and 440 parts per million.
Samantha Joye at at a real academic institution measured the concentration of the plumes at 0.5 parts per million... that is all of the constituents- oil+dispersant! So, it is highly unlikely that one of the components would be nearly 1000 times more than more than all pollutants combined. Propylene glycol is an alcohol that makes up less that 5% of corexit 9500, and it is readily broken down in the environment. There is no way those numbers could be that high unless they were sampling from the stream of dispersant. Not likely.

Most of the cleaning supplies under your sink are a lot more toxic than the dispersant being used to emulsify the oil. It will make clean up easier, and damage to the environment less severe.

The most noted effect of the use of dispersant is a reduction in dissolved oxygen due to bacteria consuming the less heavy alkanes... the lighter ones evaporate, and the heavier ones form tar balls.

Here is the current MSDS (PDF) for corexit.

Google the MSDS for some of the stuff under your sink.

Last edited by fauve; 07-11-2010 at 01:00 AM..

Old 07-11-2010, 04:29 PM

1,266 posts, read 3,223,538 times
Sman, do you work for BP? Nalco? Or in some capacity for the oil industry?

For you Gulf Coast residents, here is another essay to consider in making your plans to deal with this ongoing disaster:

“When BP says that we will make you whole again, what they are really saying is that we’ll see you in court.†Nineteen years after the Exxon Valdez, Exxon ended up paying 10 cents on the dollar for every claim filed. The law that is written holding oil companies responsible does not include: devaluation of property, or symptoms that are related to cold, cough or flu. This is the loop-hole that will get BP out of this. The toxins will attack our respiratory tracts, leaving long-term damage, yet because “cough†is excluded, BP will end up having to pay very few medical claims.

Homes are going to be devalued, both in Mobile and Baldwin counties. Many people at the meeting have already put their houses on the market in hopes of avoiding the real estate crash. Dr. Ott warned that “devaluation of property†is not written into the law that holds oil companies responsible for damages, because devaluation is too subjective. She cited the example of those who held red herring permits prior to the Exxon Valdez. These permits were a much-valued commodity, costing $400,000 each. When the herring died, the permits became worthless. Yet, the courts took Exxon’s side on this, citing that devaluation of property is a subjective matter, thus Exxon was not liable. She said to look and learn from Alaskans’ experience. If only the herring fishermen had sold their permits for $100, they could have proven devaluation. But when you can’t sell something, you cannot prove how much it has devalued. Her advice: Get creative. For instance, those who know that their home value will drop into the toilet, ask yourself, “How much do I like my neighbor’s house?†In other words, sell each other your houses for a couple of thousand dollars. That way, devaluation is proved.

(Interesting idea.)

Corexit is TOXIC. It is the equivalent of an industrial solvent. She said if you have to wonder how toxic it is, how toxic our waters are, look to how the propellers are being eaten off of the boats in the clean-up effort. Corexit has been proven to kill human babies in the womb, to destroy marine life, and is banned in almost every country in the world (including Great Britain) yet EPA has been powerless to stop BP from pumping millions of gallons of this toxin into the Gulf. Dr. Ott explained why EPA has been powerless. The laws were written 50 years ago. We must demand through pro-active measures that EPA amends its NCP product list to de-list this toxic agent.

During the Exxon Valdez spill, Corexit was used by Exxon. Exxon owned the production of Corexit at the time.

Guess who owns Corexit now? You got it — BP"

Much more here: Gulf Coast Must Act Now!

(Sman, you and I will have to agree to disagree and leave it at that.)

Old 07-13-2010, 09:09 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,184,922 times
I usually only post what I've found online to avoid discussing that I used to handle contaminated fuel for a contractor on a Naval base. It was kept quiet and we did all kinds of 'procedures' to try to get this mixture off the ships and off the pier. End result, people died and I was left with only 38% of my oxygen left before being rushed to the hospital. We had the latest technology and were as protected as possible. It's a dangerous business.

So, I know for sure what the end result of oil and sea water baking in the sun is. I don't care what anyone else says or thinks. I do understand the concept of saving tourism and trying to curb panic....but I don't understand letting people be at a tremendous health risk. It will start out subtle with flu like symptoms, overwhelming exhausted feelings and stomach ailments, but it will escalate at it bakes. Again, I'm not guessing, I know. And so do a whole lot of other folks who work for a variety of agencies but aren't free to say anything. This is why reporters are being kept at arms lengths.

If I were pregnant or elderly, I would leave any of these areas if at all possible. I wouldn't eat any seafood coming from the gulf and I sure wouldn't swim in the water. This is a tough thing for residents and those who make a living in the gulf/coastal areas. To downplay it, is not respecting or supporting their situation. Not paying attention is foolish.

Old 07-13-2010, 06:56 PM

1,530 posts, read 1,533,012 times
Glory--Thank-you for sharing your story. I research alot of things so I do know the dangers that they are facing down there. It just sickens me that our government is SO letting this continue with no regard to people's lives. I will never forget and neither will my children on the disregard that has been shown to the people in the Gulf.

This was posted in the politics forum. Pictures taken before they made it a crime.(jerks)

Washington's Blog

Old 07-13-2010, 07:20 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
I usually only post what I've found online to avoid discussing that I used to handle contaminated fuel for a contractor on a Naval base. It was kept quiet and we did all kinds of 'procedures' to try to get this mixture off the ships and off the pier. End result, people died and I was left with only 38% of my oxygen left before being rushed to the hospital. We had the latest technology and were as protected as possible. It's a dangerous business.

So, I know for sure what the end result of oil and sea water baking in the sun is. I don't care what anyone else says or thinks. I do understand the concept of saving tourism and trying to curb panic....but I don't understand letting people be at a tremendous health risk. It will start out subtle with flu like symptoms, overwhelming exhausted feelings and stomach ailments, but it will escalate at it bakes. Again, I'm not guessing, I know. And so do a whole lot of other folks who work for a variety of agencies but aren't free to say anything. This is why reporters are being kept at arms lengths.

If I were pregnant or elderly, I would leave any of these areas if at all possible. I wouldn't eat any seafood coming from the gulf and I sure wouldn't swim in the water. This is a tough thing for residents and those who make a living in the gulf/coastal areas. To downplay it, is not respecting or supporting their situation. Not paying attention is foolish.
Wow.......thanks for sharing that first hand experience. I have friends and family that live in the gulf area. Sadly, with the bottom dropped out or RE there is probably no way they can move. Tough choices ahead.

Old 07-13-2010, 10:14 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Wow.......thanks for sharing that first hand experience. I have friends and family that live in the gulf area. Sadly, with the bottom dropped out or RE there is probably no way they can move. Tough choices ahead.
One my BFFs is a real estate broker, she said the bad market here is only going to get worse.
I had a client cancel a contract with me this week because of this mess, they wanted to be able to go to the Gulf and fish on the weekends.
Cant say as I blame them.

Old 07-14-2010, 06:59 AM

2,318 posts, read 1,895,707 times
The only people who will benefit from the lawsuits are the lawyers . Maybe afew fishermen to make it look like they care . The rest will just lose all they have . Like the cigarett lawsuits nobody but a couple token citizens win . Lawyers made billions off it .

Old 07-14-2010, 11:43 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy&Me View Post
The only people who will benefit from the lawsuits are the lawyers . Maybe afew fishermen to make it look like they care . The rest will just lose all they have . Like the cigarett lawsuits nobody but a couple token citizens win . Lawyers made billions off it .
True enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness