Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 01:05 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,273,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
Yea, it's pretty hard to take delivery of 300,000 lb. Of pork bellies.
Yup, but just think how much would bacon be worth, a couple of years into a complete collapse? 2 oz Gold, 5 oz Gold, or more?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2010, 01:35 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,470,411 times
I'm resigned to not surviving a long term collapse. So, for me, short term barter items and weapons to protect them are all I'd hoard. Weapons, food, etc. Gold = pork bellies=T bills.

Old 08-08-2010, 01:45 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,239,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Assuming that inflation doesn't cause another round like Executive Order 6102, where all gold beyond $100 in gold coins was returnable to the Federal Reserve for $24.70 per troy ounce.
And all the liberals and Democrats will stand in line to give their God-Government the very thing that would save their lives after the collapse.

I bet they turn over any guns they have, too--not that they would have any in the first place.

Old 08-08-2010, 07:37 PM

548 posts, read 2,097,467 times
The second best commodity will definitely be toilet paper. Having too much stockpiled will always be better than being one sheet short.

Old 08-08-2010, 08:27 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,944,608 times
My predictions on the new "cash": single-serve/travel-size

Old 08-09-2010, 07:14 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,778,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
This is the preparedness forum. The context within which topics appear here are the circumstances wherein the structural elements of society and infrastructure have failed. Preparedness is discussed in terms of short term and long term structural failures. No water, no food, looting, mass deaths, natural disasters of unprecedented scope. What we have today is not only not a crisis, it isn't a blip on the screen compared to what a real catastrophe could look like.

Within the short term horizon of preparedness, gold is worth squat. Bullets, weapons, food, etc. are good items in the short term. Gold will be useless for your or anyone else's short term survival and will only give someone a good reason to shoot you and take your gold.
I agree. In a societal collapse, bullets will be worth more than gold. If that day ever comes you will see the worst that human behavior has to offer, unless you are prepared to defend yourself, you're gold will be taken from you along with everything else you own.

Hurricane Katrina was just a very small sample of what you can expect from people if there were ever a nationwide catastrophe. Water, food, shelter, and personal protection will be high priorities, along with medicine. I would stockpile rice and ammo before I stockpile gold for a SHTF situation. Among civilized folks you may encounter, you'll be able to barter rice or food easier than gold or silver.

If you live in an area prone to flooding, invest in a small boat with a kicker and some oars so you aren't stuck on a rooftop hoping help arrives. Hell, for the price of one ounce of gold you can buy a canoe. It'll be a lot more useful than gold if you're town is submerged in 8 feet of water.

Old 08-09-2010, 01:06 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,076,794 times
I think that the necessities for daily survival are the things that need to be taken care of. If a scenario were to happen that was basically teotwawki, insofar as just daily living goes....gold isn't worth much if you are trying to buy food from someone to feed your family, from someone who has just enough to feed their own. Gold doesn't digest easily, lol.

Old 08-09-2010, 01:08 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,076,794 times
It's like that old Edna St. Vincent Millay poem (with a few word changes, lol)...

I burn my gold at both ends
It will not last the night.
But ah, my foes, and Oh, my friends
It gives a lovely light!

;D

Old 08-09-2010, 02:56 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,677,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
So everyone seems to be for stockpiling gold now as a hedge against inflation and societal collapse. Provided we have an economy functioning on a level where gold will be in demand it seems likely that we will still have industry functioning at some basic level even in products that historically didn't show up until the 18th, 19th, and 20th centuries. For example even in the event of a societal collapse people will still desire electric power even if its only for small motors and lighting. Any decent sized library would have books explaining how to make a simple electrical system such as first emerged in the US and Europe in the late 1800s. What I'm getting at is if society survives so that there are functioning cities or towns the people there will try to rebuild some modern conveniences since they will have relatively easy access to the knowledge of how to do so.

In such a scenario wouldn't it be much better to stockpile copper, iron, coal, aluminum, or other such materials instead of gold which has relatively few uses in comparison to such materials.
Any stockpile of anything will need to be secured in some fashion. THAT is the really hard part to stockpiling.

Old 08-09-2010, 09:24 PM

1,272 posts, read 2,372,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
My predictions on the new "cash": single-serve/travel-size
Missing that will most definately be worth more than gold depending on the situation. Great find on this site. Who knew so many things came in single serving?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness