Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 10:23 AM

548 posts, read 2,097,467 times

Advertisements

Here's the latest essay by former Assistant Secretary of the U.S. Treasury Paul Craig Roberts. I think some of you might enjoy reading his views on the SHTF economic possibility.

The Ecstasy Of Empire
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2010, 08:51 AM

3,043 posts, read 7,709,122 times
I had read this article, shockingly enough, via a link from the Drudge report. The credentials of the author coupled with the extremist views are quite alarming. Sort of brings new light to all of what us "conspiracy theorists" have been saying the past few years.

Old 08-21-2010, 09:19 AM

25,721 posts, read 18,788,778 times
Most of this seems obvious to me. Just common sense... which seems to have been missing for the last 20 years or so--especially lately. Look at the people and government around you, assess their habits, expectations policies, and think critically. Again... obvious.

One thing that was, perhaps, hinted at in the essay as a problem, and which I see as a major problem, is the American public's propensity to live way beyond its means and expect a certain "standard" that is both extreme and obscene. It reminds me of an arrogant, spoiled-rotten little brat who insists that not only is his toybox overflowing, but that there are 15 other full toyboxes throughout the house--and that his bed is to be sheeted with gold spun fabric. If not, he stamps up and down, crying that he "deserves" better. Whatever. Our simple great grandparents had more sense of reality in a minute than our college-educated-selves have in a lifetime.

That a few people see our society for what it is and warn us that our sandcastle is about to be washed away is really not surprising to me.

Last edited by ChrisC; 08-21-2010 at 09:29 AM..

Old 08-22-2010, 08:59 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,194,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teachertype View Post
Here's the latest essay by former Assistant Secretary of the U.S. Treasury Paul Craig Roberts. I think some of you might enjoy reading his views on the SHTF economic possibility.

The Ecstasy Of Empire

revolution will happen again in the USA, it is only a matter of time.

Old 08-24-2010, 08:40 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,679,925 times
Just look at this YouTube video. If you didn't laugh you'd have to cry. It's all true.

YouTube - World Collapse Explained in 3 Minutes

And another one. These guys are all beginning to circle the corpse like a bunch of buzzards.

http://dailyreckoning.com/get-reality

Old 08-26-2010, 02:01 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,961,276 times
Odd today I was thinking about this quote taken from thaqt artical (nice artical btw)
"[SIZE=4]US military spending reflects the unaffordable and unattainable crazed neoconservative goal of US Empire and world hegemony. What fool in Washington thinks that China is going to finance US hegemony over China?" [/SIZE]

And the cheap junk chevy rotors i am installing on the most major 4 wheel brake job I have done in the past 35 years. It seems to be a Katrinia truck at this point, but that doesn't mean a lot when you take brand new rear brake rotors out of a box, wash the kosmolene off , wash that off with water and watch rust begin to form instatly before your eyes.

Used to be I backed up my parts and labor, but now I can only back up my labor. I can't and won't back up cheap junk from China.

Getting back to the artical, why I think there is lots of Govt fools that will think that China is going to finance US hegemony over China. It's what fools do. Just look at them! A friggin zoo of fools!

Old 08-27-2010, 04:39 PM

436 posts, read 908,036 times
Sadly we are in a situation that there is no hope of recovery and paying back all the money we owe. I see America a 3rd world country with in 20 years, and we did it to our selves by buying all this crap on credit that we just had to have now but we couldn't afford it.

Old 08-28-2010, 07:19 PM

357 posts, read 1,019,133 times
all the US has to do is print out millions of $1000.00 bills load in the containers send them to China and consider loan is paid. the Chinese can burn those bills for their death relatives, they doing every year any way.

Old 09-10-2010, 03:14 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,967,545 times
Question to optimists:
Now that so many states in the Union are bust, what is your take on how long it will take this country to recover?

Do you believe we've seen the real bottom of the "crash" yet?

State Budget Gaps: Debt Holes Deepen : NPR

Old 09-10-2010, 05:41 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,470,411 times
We will have bad labor unrest because the biggest disparity in the country is that union workers have defined benefit plans that if funded will have a generation of mostly government workers living like kings in retirement, but which are unfunded or underfunded meaning that they will only get paid with the oppression of non union workers.

The old "rock and a hard place" problem, IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness