Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 02:51 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,907,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishouldknow View Post
I won't be answering anything.
Your choice. No one has to answer anything he doesn't want to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2010, 05:02 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,966,028 times
ER I think Chris C said everything for Ishoudknow, and that you skipped what I said. Does this mean you are a liberal, sure looks that way. It is the classic I don't recognize these words liberals pull everyday.

1 std bulbs use a little more juice, but are safer once trashed. Liberals probably don't know that since they are big into recycling plastics they don't know is made from oil.

There is this problem of burning fossil fuels, but it is no problem what so ever clothing is made from recycled plastics and then the clothing is trashed just the same.

I prefer the std lamps too, I like to do this thing called see when I work. I just wish there was a lamp that let me see better. I can tell you no lamps made work well to see up under the dash on a car. So far rough service is the best it gets. An old std type bulb. I have tried every new kind of lamp made for techs and the best of the best is that old std bulb.

Old 11-12-2010, 06:39 PM

362 posts, read 392,393 times
Default I'm stocking up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
I know people who have vision problems with fluorescent light. It is hard on my eyes as well. That aside, I can't see the benefit of switching to a type of bulb that will create hazardous waste disposal problems. What we "save" on energy we will pay out in additional cost for the bulbs AND in management of their disposal.

Somebody tell me why that makes sense.
I'm one of those that has vision problems with those new bulbs. And the hazardour waste issue baffles me. If they're such environmentalists, why don't they get this? You're going to same some electricity to save the planet while polluting the planet with hazarous waste? Typical liberal logic.

Old 11-12-2010, 07:51 PM

688 posts, read 1,489,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christi123 View Post
My family is trying to devise our own 2012 plan to out live the apocalypse and I was wondering what sort of plans everyone else has? Woul love to hear your replies...
All the Mayan calendar says it that Dec. 21, 2012 is the end of a time cycle, which does not necessarily predict doom and destruction, even if there really is something truly prophetic about it. I hear everything from that day being the 2nd coming of Christ (in the Bible it says no one knoweth the day or the hour of the Coming of the Son of Man) to crazy New Age gibberish of that day (or days immediately around it) being the start of some sort of esoteric "enlightenment" or other some such foolishness. Anyway, I guess we'll see when that day comes around.

Old 11-13-2010, 12:10 PM

25,738 posts, read 18,809,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeepoRsheep View Post
I'm one of those that has vision problems with those new bulbs. And the hazardour waste issue baffles me. If they're such environmentalists, why don't they get this? You're going to same some electricity to save the planet while polluting the planet with hazarous waste? Typical liberal logic.
Again, use whatever you like for light. Use a candle. Use a stadium lighting array. Whatever. And I can't speak for anyone else, but personally I don't really care about "saving the planet." That's bunk anyway. The planet doesn't need saving. It's not going anywhere. Of course the human species has certainly demonstrated the capacity to destroy itself, but the planet would still be here regardless. The planet has been through a hell of a lot more than we can dish out. It's still here. So, why don't we bag the "save the planet" thing, and be honest--it's not "save the planet," it's "save ourselves." And I'm convinced we are not capable of doing saving ourselves. So it's moot.

The ONLY reason I use these new bulbs is because of the savings on electricity, which frees up money that I either don't have to earn or that I can blow on something more palatable than the government or power company shareholders.

As I said earlier, do the math. An LED bulb (for instance) is running on 3 or 6 watts rather than 60 or 100 watts. Not bright enough for you? Hell, put in five of them--it would still save on the electricity bill. Also, the argument that it is more costly because of the higher initial outlay is bunk. Use you head. Let's talk LED bulbs (LED contains no mercury), since everyone is so worried that CFL bulbs will ruin the earth with the same chemicals that is in much of the technology they regularly use in everyday life.

Here is the math for LED vs Incandescent:

Incandescent bulb:

Lifetime: 2000 hours (that's being optimistic).
Initial Cost: Let's say average of 2 dollars a pop.
Cost in usage: 60 watts -- $0.20 per kWh (as an average)

LED bulb:

Lifetime: around 50000 hours.
Initial Cost: around 35 dollars.
Cost in usage: 6 watts -- $0.20 per kWh (as an average)

For simplicity, let's work with 50000 hours of usage so we can compare the cost per LED bulb used--so, how many incandescent bulbs would I use and how much would it cost compared to ONE LED bulb???

LED: Cost = (50,000 hrs)($35.00/1 bulb)(1 bulb/50,000 hrs) + ($0.20/1kWh)(.006kW)(50,000h)=$95.00 dollars spent.

Incandescent: Cost = (50,000 hrs)($2.00/1 bulb)(1 bulb/2,000 hrs) + ($0.20/1kWh)(.060kW)(50,000h)=$650.00 dollars spent.

There you go--a savings of $555.00 over the course of just one installed LED bulb. How many light bulbs are in your home? Tell me you're not saving money in the long run by using LED lighting...

Mathematical side note:

I can hear some of you already with the comment "yeah... you are being deceptive! You'd have to run the lights 24 hours a day for like 6 years in your analysis!"

Okay, fine. Granted. Rhetorical mathematics! But the numbers ARE legitimate. If you want to further analyze it, you'll find the break-even point is within a year even if you are conservative with your usage. After that, the LED light bulb is saving you money (compared to incandescent) every time you turn it on. So, once again, I claim that it is not a political issue; it is not a liberal vs conservative issue; it is not a "green" thing; it's logic-based economic wisdom.

Last edited by ChrisC; 11-13-2010 at 12:49 PM..

Old 11-13-2010, 06:16 PM

7 posts, read 13,579 times
Red face 2012? is that like Y2k?

Quote:
Originally Posted by christi123 View Post
My family is trying to devise our own 2012 plan to out live the apocalypse and I was wondering what sort of plans everyone else has? Woul love to hear your replies...
been there, done that! now I just Trust God so I dont need to go there

Old 11-14-2010, 05:11 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,695,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ema_id View Post
been there, done that! now I just Trust God so I dont need to go there
Me too!

Old 11-20-2010, 06:19 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,907,290 times
Default A real leap of logic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
ER I think Chris C said everything for Ishoudknow, and that you skipped what I said. Does this mean you are a liberal, sure looks that way. It is the classic I don't recognize these words liberals pull everyday.
Because I didn't directly answer your post, that means I'm a liberal???? Wow, what a leap of logic.

Old 11-20-2010, 07:25 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,966,028 times
I said it looks that way. It still does. You mis read which I explained. I mis read too. Be that way fine by me.

Old 11-21-2010, 11:49 AM

6,906 posts, read 8,275,166 times
error
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness