Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 10:30 PM

28 posts, read 86,142 times

Advertisements

thanks for the idea of the jute, i'll add some.

the handles tie to the hooks which hook into the ends of the chainsaw. the whole thing works fast and well but, like everything, won't last forever. you could probably build a couple of log shelters or a cabin with one but if you're using it to cut up firewood all the time it's gonna wear out eventually. still, it's about a thousand times better than a wire saw.

here's a pic and link:

http://www.pocketchainsaw.com/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2010, 04:48 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,963,815 times
Thanks... No I wouldn't cut much fire wood with that rig. i would harvest fungas i find in the woods with a saw like that most. More or less because it fits a pocket, which my buck saws don't, not do my folding tree limbe pruners. Well they sort of fit a rear hip pocket, but I don't generally carry it unless the plan is to go get some sticks, or a fungas i found.

Most of the fungus I harvest are for tinders. Most of these need to be pre charred, but one doesn't.

I would like to get a clean, very used, but well cared for one man slave whip, for that rainy day when big wood needs cut, and my chain saws are down for what ever reasons. be nice if that whip had 2 blades, one for hard wood the other soft. Pretty much a dream in 2010.

Old 10-20-2010, 10:29 PM

you got that right. heck, most have been turned into art by nutjobs with plasma cutters.

Old 10-21-2010, 01:18 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,274,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Thanks... No I wouldn't cut much fire wood with that rig. i would harvest fungas i find in the woods with a saw like that most. More or less because it fits a pocket, which my buck saws don't, not do my folding tree limbe pruners. Well they sort of fit a rear hip pocket, but I don't generally carry it unless the plan is to go get some sticks, or a fungas i found.

Most of the fungus I harvest are for tinders. Most of these need to be pre charred, but one doesn't.

I would like to get a clean, very used, but well cared for one man slave whip, for that rainy day when big wood needs cut, and my chain saws are down for what ever reasons. be nice if that whip had 2 blades, one for hard wood the other soft. Pretty much a dream in 2010.
What you talking about...?

One man Crosscut felling saws these guys are based in NY State?
You want Tuttle or Perforated Lance tooth?

Hell up here our chainsaw mechanic also does sales and sharpening of them next time I'm there I'll ask if he has any used well cared for specimens (although these tend to be more expensive than new). Are they hard to find in NH or something Mac?

At $170 for 3.5' it's less half the price of a Chainsaw that will cut that DBH.

Old 10-21-2010, 01:36 AM

4,731 posts, read 9,945,917 times
Heck, I'd take a good felling axe over one of those pocket chainsaws anyday... they're a major PITA!! They're small and portable, but I could probably take down a big'un faster with my baby camp axe, with much less fatigue. Yes, I do have one, as a backup just in case something bad happens to my bucksaw or my axe walks away on me; but I don't think it's ever been out of my pack.

Old 10-21-2010, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
What you talking about...?

One man Crosscut felling saws these guys are based in NY State?
You want Tuttle or Perforated Lance tooth?

Hell up here our chainsaw mechanic also does sales and sharpening of them next time I'm there I'll ask if he has any used well cared for specimens (although these tend to be more expensive than new). Are they hard to find in NH or something Mac?

At $170 for 3.5' it's less half the price of a Chainsaw that will cut that DBH.

LOl Gun, evidently I have no idea what I am tawlkin about

I don't see anyone using them, the few I see are outside rusting away or inside collecting dust.

I don't see any blackened with age, oiled waxed and patiniaed from ages of use and good care. So I figured they were a lost tool of the past.

Just one of many tools i don't have, but then I have others from the 18th and 19th. Not everything, and that 'might' be one that could be handy on a rainy day.

Once I needed a good hand rip saw, and couldn't find one, so I took a good cross cut saw, of which I have more than one and refiled that by hand to be a rip saw, so I have a rip saw now. These are std carpenters saws from before 1940.

LOL once i bet a guy my hand augers would cut faster than his motor drive augers. You should have seen the look on his face when he arrived to race!

Why, we were miles from any power outletts!

Old 10-21-2010, 11:04 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,274,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
LOl Gun, evidently I have no idea what I am tawlkin about

I don't see anyone using them, the few I see are outside rusting away or inside collecting dust.

I don't see any blackened with age, oiled waxed and patiniaed from ages of use and good care. So I figured they were a lost tool of the past.

Just one of many tools i don't have, but then I have others from the 18th and 19th. Not everything, and that 'might' be one that could be handy on a rainy day.

Once I needed a good hand rip saw, and couldn't find one, so I took a good cross cut saw, of which I have more than one and refiled that by hand to be a rip saw, so I have a rip saw now. These are std carpenters saws from before 1940.

LOL once i bet a guy my hand augers would cut faster than his motor drive augers. You should have seen the look on his face when he arrived to race!

Why, we were miles from any power outletts!
Ah now a good set of hand augers, are worth their weight in gold. I kind of understand what you mean, I went to some place a couple of years ago wanting a regular hand saw setting tool, the guy looked like I'd done lost my mind, saying people just buy new saws. However Crosscuts are not as rare as you might think.

Old 10-21-2010, 02:43 PM

I bought a part of a saw set, thinking it was for sewwing leather. That long clamp that clamps up a saw and clamps on a bench top too.

It worked pretty well for sewwing leather too

I think I have 4 sets of augers as sets now, all wire brushed, sharpened, and oiled wrapped up in waxed papers. These are 19th century and have square taper tops to fit a brace.

I have 3 18th century bitted augers with forged eyes and wood t handles which I like best. By crossing the arms you can get 1.5 revolutions at a time, which bites in hard and drills fast.

Tell ye what, don't go walkin in a modern hardware store, and ask a female clerk if they sell any adz.

I won't be making that mistake again!

Old 10-22-2010, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
Heck, I'd take a good felling axe over one of those pocket chainsaws anyday... they're a major PITA!! They're small and portable, but I could probably take down a big'un faster with my baby camp axe, with much less fatigue. Yes, I do have one, as a backup just in case something bad happens to my bucksaw or my axe walks away on me; but I don't think it's ever been out of my pack.
you're right on all counts, but this is my get-home-bag, not my living in the wilderness kit. my bag is right around 80 lbs already and adding to that is something i want to avoid. also, i don't plan to drop a 'big-un', but rather, construct a temporary shelter or two and between the pocket chainsaw and my kukri machete i should have that covered. every tool has it's place. for the jobs i intend to use it for, this is the best solution for me.

Old 11-13-2010, 12:42 AM

1 posts, read 1,116 times
Default i keep with me at all times

Pepper Spray (you never know)
My Iphone
Tahiti Swell Lip Balm (makes my kisses sweet)
Altoids
Visa Card
My lucky penny ; )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness