Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 07:58 PM

357 posts, read 1,018,794 times

Advertisements

me too, the price is good. they only mention the handle fee no shipping charge. just wonder how much would it cost to ship 2- 25 lbs beg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyme4878 View Post
Wow! I love the site--far cheaper it seems (I just quickly looked it over) than the few others I have seen. Thank you so much! I also like that it has a wider variety of products, as well as a variety of sizes.

I'm bookmarking it to look over tonight or tomorrow!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2010, 07:38 AM

37,440 posts, read 61,346,326 times
I have found that near one town [in a neighboring county] an hour NorthEast of us they grow oats. So I drive up there in the fall when they have harvested and I buy forty 50-pound bags of oats from a farmer there. I pay $3/bag.

Then about 2 hour North is a mill in an area that grows barley, I get 40 bags from them.

An hour West of us is a family that grows corn, they have their own mill and feedstore.

All totaled we get a ton of oats, and of barley, corn and sunflower; every fall. We get them for much less then our local feedstores can get them.

55-gallon drums with plastic drum-liners and desiccant work well for storing grain.

Old 09-10-2010, 08:10 AM

860 posts, read 2,055,027 times
Azure Standard - Quality Bulk & Natural Foods

I've been getting most all my groceries, both bulk dried and fresh from this outfit in Oregon. They ship to all the western states for free if you place a minimum order. I still have to pay the barge fee to get it up here but it's never more than $50 and my last order was 1200 lbs.

Old 09-10-2010, 08:47 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,181,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I have found that near one town [in a neighboring county] an hour NorthEast of us they grow oats. So I drive up there in the fall when they have harvested and I buy forty 50-pound bags of oats from a farmer there. I pay $3/bag.

Then about 2 hour North is a mill in an area that grows barley, I get 40 bags from them.

An hour West of us is a family that grows corn, they have their own mill and feedstore.

All totaled we get a ton of oats, and of barley, corn and sunflower; every fall. We get them for much less then our local feedstores can get them.

55-gallon drums with plastic drum-liners and desiccant work well for storing grain.

Amazing that someone would call buying livestock grain in 50 lb sacks as ------buying bulk.

--buying bulk--would be you pulling a grain box and they augering a ton of oats or barley into it.

Old 09-10-2010, 08:54 AM

2,542 posts, read 6,912,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post

Hey now, don't make me jealous! Not too many grain farmers around here! Although, if I got off my butt, I could have free mesquite flour (no gluten, so I can't just go off that...well I could, but I don't want to). Technically, it requires a $20 permit from the state for gathering, and a drive to a bigger city--in Bisbee, Tucson, and Phoenix, people/someone donates their commercial grain mill so that everyone can go have their mesquite beans milled. Pretty cool, I think. Now I have to do it.

But that is a bit off topic...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammasCabin View Post
Azure Standard - Quality Bulk & Natural Foods

I've been getting most all my groceries, both bulk dried and fresh from this outfit in Oregon. They ship to all the western states for free if you place a minimum order. I still have to pay the barge fee to get it up here but it's never more than $50 and my last order was 1200 lbs.
Thanks for another tip! I'm off to peruse it right now--I like the free shipping policy!

Old 09-10-2010, 09:02 AM

37,440 posts, read 61,346,326 times
I guess that 50-pounds of grain might not be seen as 'bulk'; to me it is bulk.

I suppose it is all due to a person's perspective, and how many mouths they feed.

Old 09-10-2010, 10:30 AM

1,354 posts, read 6,375,479 times
We buy in bulk alot. Once I buy something, I put in my freezer overnight to kill off any eggs that might be in the grains and pastas. Then I decide where to put it. I have large glass and plastic containers with screw on lids for my pantry. For items I put away for long term storage, I package them in mylar bags with oxygen absorbers, then in food grade plastic buckets. Be sure to label the mylar bags with the item inside and the date you packed it. I rotate those into my pantry every two years.

Old 09-10-2010, 11:33 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,918,943 times
I do believe there is a difference in the usage of the word "bulk" compared to the word "quantity" as to a persons needs.

To me "bulk" would be a large 50 gal drum or a bale of hay so to speak. Who buys personal food in a 50 gal drum? Quantity is a large pkg of 5 lbs or more to be consumed in a short period in time.

I buy 50lb bags of dog food for my two large boys. (price here is a factor)

For me personally (as one person) I do buy 3-4 pkgs of meat at one time when on sale to last a month until the next item is on sale. Have found that in the past I still had something in the freezer that was on sale again at a lower price...kinda defeating my original intentions of quantity in purchases of sale items. (go figure)

Now if I get a horse...I'd have to get some oats and hay in large Bulk or is it Quantity.

Steve

Old 09-10-2010, 12:49 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,941,237 times
Be careful with the buckets! It's better to get the slightly more expensive food-grade HDPE buckets when you're storing food in them as other plastics can off-gas and leach. Save the cheaper hardware store buckets for non-edibles if you can, or use a food safe liner. You can order food-safe buckets online in bulk at prices much lower than the hardware buckets at the store... I got mine and the gamma lids from US Plastics.

Laundry rooms and garages don't tend to be the best places to store food -- ideally you want cool, dark, dry with minimal fluctuations. If you can't store them somewhere cool, plan to rotate every 3-6 months so things don't start degrading or going rancid.

Old 09-10-2010, 12:57 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,941,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
Who buys personal food in a 50 gal drum?
Ummm... that would be me

Picked up a drum of mixed pasta for a STEAL from a restaurant supply warehouse. Might take me 5-10 years to eat it all, but it doesn't go bad when it's sealed properly and I won't have to worry about running out anytime soon.

If I could find more shelf-stable staples in affordable 50 gal drums like that I'd be all over it! Granted I do live in the bush, so storage space isn't as much of a problem as getting to a store is
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness