Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 08:53 AM

2,542 posts, read 6,916,078 times

Advertisements

Do you have any suggestions on good sites to buy bulk food? I do not mean freeze-dried survival food, but plain flour, grains and beans. I found Honeyville Grain site on this forum's sticky thread, but it didn't have everything I want. I would like a whole wheat flour, an all-purpose non-bleached white flour, brown rice, quinoa, and two kinds of beans (not picky).

I am also interested in hearing about different ways people store their bulk foods. For awhile I had bulk flour and I put it in large, Rubbermaid-type boxes. They were see-through, which was nice, but it was more difficult to access. Honeyville Grain has plastic buckets for sale, but I was wondering if you have a system you like better or another good site for buy bulk containers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2010, 10:39 AM

357 posts, read 1,019,300 times
Whole Food sell 20 lbs bag flour,beans and grains. I think best buying bulk food locally, shipping add a lot to cost.

Old 09-09-2010, 12:13 PM

Unfortunately, I'm not all that close to any store that sells bulk. The closest Whole Foods is 3 hours or so away. Before I moved, I bought my bulk flour from the food co-op. Not an option anymore. Does Whole Foods have the 20 lb bags on the shelve, or would I have to special order and wait for them to come in?

Old 09-09-2010, 12:13 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,929,654 times
Buying bulk foods and the storage factor are the main concerns here.

Pkg box/things should be transferred into a glass or plastic see thru with a screw on lid.
I do this with my flour/sugar/cereal/cookies/pancake mix/rice etc.

I buy instant Yuban coffee and reuse the jar for my sugar.

Storing will be a problem in some areas due to climate/temp parts of the country. That would be a major concern in my opinion in respect to what can be stored and where in the house or basement. Mildew/dampness a factor.

Another thing is those little bitty buggers getting into the pkgs be what they may be.

Lot to be considered there.

Old 09-09-2010, 01:51 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,946,745 times
I ordered a lot of my staples from Walton Feed. They have beans, whole grains and flours in #10 cans, 6 gallon pails and 50# feed sacks.

I normally break the bulk units into "usable" sizes (this varies on your uses) and pack those in zipper bags or vacuum bags and put them in a food-grade plastic pails with a sealed mylar lining. I have several tight-closing glass and clear plastic containers that I keep in the pantry for "daily" use, and refill them from the smaller bags in the pails as needed. I put a fresh oxygen absorber and dessicant pack in each pail anytime I open it unless whatever inside is really stable (like pasta).

Plastic keeps bugs out, but not always mice... something to consider. Glass keeps all critters out, but can break. Metal keeps all critters out, doesn't break, but sometimes rusts/corrodes, is heavier and sometimes hard to find.

But a 3 hour drive to the nearest Whole Foods wouldn't be that horrible a trip if you stocked up everything you needed for 3-6-12 months at a time.

Old 09-09-2010, 04:45 PM

In our area they have them in the same area of those bulk by the lbs, i think they give discount 10-15 % when buy 20 lbs bag. You may to call the store near you, i am not sure they have that in all store.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyme4878 View Post
Unfortunately, I'm not all that close to any store that sells bulk. The closest Whole Foods is 3 hours or so away. Before I moved, I bought my bulk flour from the food co-op. Not an option anymore. Does Whole Foods have the 20 lb bags on the shelve, or would I have to special order and wait for them to come in?

Old 09-09-2010, 04:57 PM

Thanks everyone so far! I must admitt that I'm becoming a baby when it comes to shopping and would prefer to do it online, but I can understand the savings it would bring. (These all-day shopping sprees wear me out--especially since I don't like to shop!) I should check further into what options Phoenix has. (Hint, hint, does anyone know of some good outlets in Phoenix?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
Storing will be a problem in some areas due to climate/temp parts of the country. That would be a major concern in my opinion in respect to what can be stored and where in the house or basement. Mildew/dampness a factor.
I live in northern Arizona, so dampness isn't really an issue. I plan on storing it in my laundry room, which is just off my kitchen, although I do have room in the garage. I just figured that the laundry room was more secure and easy.

Does anyone have wooden barrels? I imagine those would be easier for bugs to get into.

Old 09-09-2010, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
I ordered a lot of my staples from Walton Feed. They have beans, whole grains and flours in #10 cans, 6 gallon pails and 50# feed sacks.
Wow! I love the site--far cheaper it seems (I just quickly looked it over) than the few others I have seen. Thank you so much! I also like that it has a wider variety of products, as well as a variety of sizes.

I'm bookmarking it to look over tonight or tomorrow!

Old 09-09-2010, 06:03 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,511,066 times
With regard to long-term storage containers, here's something I'm trying (and so far its working):

1. Buy 5-gallon plastic buckets from somewhere like Home Depot (orange, white, purple, green, puce, lavender -- the color doesn't matter; only price and quality matter)

2. Buy "Gamma Seal" screw-on lids from somewhere like Be Prepared
Gamma Seals - Emergency Essentials

3. Fill 'em nearly full with dried products (beans, peas, rice, etc.)

4. Drop a large chunk of dry ice on top, then loosely secure the top into place until the ice has melted. (This fills the air spaces with carbon dioxide)

5. Tighten the lid so that it is air-tight.

6. Label the container with its contents.

Old 09-09-2010, 07:46 PM

great site, do you think 5 gallon bucket from home depot is the same quality as the one on the website.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighteyes View Post
With regard to long-term storage containers, here's something I'm trying (and so far its working):

1. Buy 5-gallon plastic buckets from somewhere like Home Depot (orange, white, purple, green, puce, lavender -- the color doesn't matter; only price and quality matter)

2. Buy "Gamma Seal" screw-on lids from somewhere like Be Prepared
Gamma Seals - Emergency Essentials

3. Fill 'em nearly full with dried products (beans, peas, rice, etc.)

4. Drop a large chunk of dry ice on top, then loosely secure the top into place until the ice has melted. (This fills the air spaces with carbon dioxide)

5. Tighten the lid so that it is air-tight.

6. Label the container with its contents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness