Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2010, 09:36 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Yes, you've made your feeling quite clear about how you would rule the world if you were king.

However, why continue telling people what they can't do, or what you wouldn't tolerate? Why not actually contribute some knowledge toward becoming more self-sufficient insteaded of disparaging remarks? It is obvious you know quite abit about dairy. Do you have someting positive to contribute as far as chickens?
Good luck with asking for positive contributions.
Its such a shame, there is so much to be learned from others on this forum.
Its really too bad some folk persist in negativity.
As an aside, waiting for mail from my cousin, will DM you when I get it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2010, 09:39 PM

Robyn55.....yes, we teach the bears out here in the Ocala National Forest to read the bus schedules, and give them bus fare, lol
We generally suggest Orlando, but sometimes they just wanna go to Jax!

Old 10-11-2010, 07:52 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,182,471 times
Drove through an Amish area yesterday.

Fall tillage was done on the fields harvested for oats and corn silege.

Already the yellow mustard plants ( mustard is a weed on the township list of noxious weeds that must be controlled) were growing in that field that was fall tilled.

Why don't Amish allow free range chickens?
Surely, chickens would contol those weeds.----sarc

Old 10-11-2010, 11:01 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,271,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Drove through an Amish area yesterday.

Fall tillage was done on the fields harvested for oats and corn silege.

Already the yellow mustard plants ( mustard is a weed on the township list of noxious weeds that must be controlled) were growing in that field that was fall tilled.

Which mustard is on the noxious weed list? Sinapis alba (white), or arvensis (wild)?

Do you know that they're not using mustard as a green manure, and pest control? Or are you just assuming that it's unintentional? It certainly wouldn't surprise me that the Amish are using mustard as a control for weeds, nematodes, root rot and Verticillium, they're certainly not going to be using metam sodium for control of these problems.

Old 10-11-2010, 04:57 PM

The yellow mustard that grows wild and will take a field over is on every township's noxious weed list.

As stated, that is why my organic neighbor has never harvested an oats crop for grain. The township weed inspector orders the mustard be either killed by a herbicide or cut .

He always is forced to cut his oats for hay.

As sure as the sun rising in the east, he'll plant oats and then get upset when he gets the notice to destroy/control.

Old 10-11-2010, 05:12 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,593,655 times
Quote:
The township weed inspector orders the mustard be either killed by a herbicide or cut .
Township weed inspector!! Where do you live? North Korea?

Old 10-11-2010, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Township weed inspector!! Where do you live? North Korea?
-lying on the floor, laughing helplessly-
I have never heard of a weed inspector in my life!!!!!
They dont have that kind of budget in Florida, nor Missouri.
Now that I think about it, where can I sign up or that job?

I Googled it.....

Noxious Weed Law

Still laughing, dont the mayors in Mn have anything better to do?
Funny, Jerusalem artichokes are on the secondary list.......hasnt anyone told the eggheads in Mn that they are good to eat, and very nutritious?

Last edited by kshe95girl; 10-11-2010 at 06:08 PM..

Old 10-11-2010, 06:21 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,942,023 times
Quote:

Every Amish and Menonite farmer that I know (or lived near) routinely let their livestock (including chickens) clean their fields for them -- free feed, free tilling and free fertilizer. Most times after harvest, but also during some growing stages depending on the crop and the animal. They also almost always plant some sort of green manure or fodder crop in the fall after primary harvest... and then turn the livestock out on the fields for "fresh" feed during the winter, either tilling in the remainder in the spring or letting the animals do that for them.

They may not have chicken tractors and such for management intensive rotational grazing and "pastured chickens", but I've never heard any prohibitions on chickens in their fields. Seriously, I don't know where you get your info. Unless your Amish are totally different than the PA & NY Amish I know.

Ideally, geese are better for weeding since they don't peck fruits or scratch as much as chickens. Chickens and ducks are better for pest control, but ducks don't peck and scratch as much as chickens either. You wouldn't necessarily want to let chickens into a growing field planted with a shallow-rooted crop, or one that is susceptible to nitrogen-burn.

Old 10-11-2010, 06:23 PM

1,266 posts, read 3,222,421 times
Marmac, I'm curious. Have you EVER raised chickens on your current acreage or as a boy growing up?

If you haven't, is/was it because:

1. They're not cost-effective
2. They're too dirty
3. They're too many predators around
4. Secure fencing and a coop are too expensive
5. They've always been just a FAD
6. You're allergic to and/or scared of feathers

Every single neighbor with acreage we've ever lived next to had chickens -- it was just kind of a given. Is that not true in your area of the Midwest?

Genuinely puzzled here...

Old 10-11-2010, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
-lying on the floor, laughing helplessly-
I have never heard of a weed inspector in my life!!!!!
They dont have that kind of budget in Florida, nor Missouri.
Now that I think about it, where can I sign up or that job?

I Googled it.....

Noxious Weed Law

Still laughing, dont the mayors in Mn have anything better to do?
Funny, Jerusalem artichokes are on the secondary list.......hasnt anyone told the eggheads in Mn that they are good to eat, and very nutritious?

--don't the mayors in Minnesota------

Hey, city girl, mayors are elected officials of a city/town

Township Supervisors are the elected officials in our rural areas.

Us farmers will gladly turn a neighbor in who refuses to control his noxious weeds and the wind blows the seed into our fields.

You ain't a good neighbor if you don't control mustard or thistle on your land !

A farm girl would know that .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness