U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 08:19 PM

223 posts, read 121,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Yes we are dependent on foreign countries. We ship out the raw commodity and import the finished product. We also import many ingredients.

Trivia question..what US manufacturer(s) make wheat gluten ?
What US manufacturer(s) make vitamin C ?
great but we don't have to depend on anyone. As for why are we importing food instead of growing our own on - i dont know.
I get it, earth's population is increasing exponentially and that increases demand for food. Eventually earth won't be able to sustain that many people because land is limited, but we are lucky enough because we have so much land.
IF anything it's Japan and UK that are screwed. they have to depend on other countries because they have almost no farm land.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2011, 09:10 PM

75,325 posts, read 36,498,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by im_a_lawyer View Post
great but we don't have to depend on anyone. As for why are we importing food instead of growing our own on - i dont know.
I get it, earth's population is increasing exponentially and that increases demand for food. Eventually earth won't be able to sustain that many people because land is limited, but we are lucky enough because we have so much land.
IF anything it's Japan and UK that are screwed. they have to depend on other countries because they have almost no farm land.
Well you should look into that. We do depend on other countries now.
We export wheat and import the gluten produced from it.
Why ? Well it's cheaper to import than to make here in the US.

We export the raw commodities and import the finished goods because labor is cheaper in other countries.

An old article (2007) but worth reading.
Wheat gluten is but one example of how the US has lost it's manufacturing. We are global now and cannot just isolate ourselves and think we can produce all we need.

Why do we need to import wheat gluten from China? - By Michelle Tsai - Slate Magazine

Old 02-03-2011, 09:38 PM

223 posts, read 121,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Well you should look into that. We do depend on other countries now.
We export wheat and import the gluten produced from it.
Why ? Well it's cheaper to import than to make here in the US.

We export the raw commodities and import the finished goods because labor is cheaper in other countries.

An old article (2007) but worth reading.
Wheat gluten is but one example of how the US has lost it's manufacturing. We are global now and cannot just isolate ourselves and think we can produce all we need.

Why do we need to import wheat gluten from China? - By Michelle Tsai - Slate Magazine
well sure, we import now because it's much cheaper than to make it ourselves.

all I'm saying is that we're one of the very few countries that could sustain without any imports if there ever was a need for it.

Old 02-03-2011, 11:14 PM

75,325 posts, read 36,498,984 times
Quote:

all I'm saying is that we're one of the very few countries that could sustain without any imports if there ever was a need for it.
Not unless those manufacturing plants reopen and retrain.
We cannot sustain without imports. We are not self sufficient anymore.

Old 02-04-2011, 01:07 PM

1,003 posts, read 1,279,309 times
Quote:

Yes, we could sustain on our own in America on wheat, corn, limited fruits, and limited veggies. That's not part of the issue of what's being discussed: the problem and OT of this thread is that at this very moment food prices are rising and putting strains on Americans. We could stop exporting but we sure as hell won't. Blame rising transportation costs and exports--neither problem will change anytime soon regardless of what highly unlikely scenarios we come up with.

Old 02-05-2011, 12:10 PM

4,100 posts, read 3,205,638 times
Default Food prices going up

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post

I think we just may all live long enough to see rioting in the US over food, if the rioting isn't over health care first. Look at Egypt and what is going on there today. Rioting because about 40% of family wages goes to pay for food, here it is about 13% but, that is going to change. Obama is going to see to it...

watch this video clip from National Inflation Assoc, makes you stop and think.

National Inflation Association

Old 02-05-2011, 12:36 PM

4,100 posts, read 3,205,638 times
Default Food prices going up

Quote:
why are you people in such panic? I don't care that the demand for food globally has went up. Who cares?
United States is one of the few countries that can survive from within its own borders.

We have the most "usable" land in the world. Sure, Russia and Canada have more land than us in absolute terms, but half of their land is permanently frozen - unusable.

We can farm our way to cheap food so I wouldn't panic if a food has temporarily went up. We're not depended on other nations.

On the other hand, if you're Singapore then yeah this affects you way more because Singapore doesn't have any farm land - they must import their food from other countries.
Yeah, and what is a smart attorney like you going to do when Hillary Clinton makes a eminent domain deal (like she already has) with China and China comes to the United States to claim their land? What are you going to do when they take over your farm land? Sue 'em?

Old 02-06-2011, 08:34 PM

8,569 posts, read 8,908,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Marmac, darling, I didn't say the agricultural products were going to increase in price and decrease in availability, the article that Monkeywrenching provided the link to is the one who brought the subject up. I'm just mentioning that stockpiling as a means to survive the proposed crash will only delay the effect. One needs to be able to produce food to truly be able to avoid the price increase of whatever foods will be available. Food production isn't all that hard, either, but producing all of everything you eat is. Fortunately, we have neighbors to swap stuff with as well as are still able to afford to buy things at the farmer's markets as well as the grocery.

So what do you think about this, Marmac? Will there always be enough food at prices folks can afford? Is there enough food now? How secure is our food supply?

Hmm, your sixth grade teacher may have been correct about the U.S. not able to feed itself. Is the United States importing more food than it's exporting? We export some foodstuffs, but overall do we export more than we import? It does seem a lot of food is imported from other countries. In my particular state, about 90% of everything - including food - is imported although some of it is imported from the mainland as well as other countries.
Also most of what we export is not manufactured here but merely "assembled" here using parts manufactured elsewhere that were imported.

Old 02-08-2011, 01:01 PM

7,437 posts, read 6,717,494 times
Quote:
why are you people in such panic? I don't care that the demand for food globally has went up. Who cares?
United States is one of the few countries that can survive from within its own borders.

We have the most "usable" land in the world. Sure, Russia and Canada have more land than us in absolute terms, but half of their land is permanently frozen - unusable.

We can farm our way to cheap food so I wouldn't panic if a food has temporarily went up. We're not depended on other nations.

On the other hand, if you're Singapore then yeah this affects you way more because Singapore doesn't have any farm land - they must import their food from other countries.

A nation that makes or produces nothing is NOT self sustaining......

Old 02-12-2011, 02:51 PM

4,728 posts, read 5,369,038 times
Fuel prices go up -- the cost of everything goes up. It's a tiny problem with centralized industrial production and widespread distribution system. A lot of food costs are going through the roof because we (the modern world, not just the US) use a lot of fuel and petroleum derivatives in our mechanized farming practices and then even more processing it and transporting it all over.

Growing your own in a private or community garden can help offset this; but supporting smaller local farmers will as well. Unfortunately, there is a lot of legislation (at state and federal levels) that makes small, local farming and processing nearly impossible, if not extremely cost prohibitive to both the producer and the consumer. There is absolutely no excuse for a bag of chips or a frozen breakfast burrito from a Quickie Mart costing less than a 5# bag of organic potatoes or a dozen eggs at a local farmers market. Trust me, the farmer usually isn't inflating his prices once you take into consideration all the red-tape, fees and taxes he has to deal with. The US could be more self-sustaining if only big-business and government take the long view and stop looking at only the bottom line and making things difficult for the little guy. The era of "Get Big or Get Out" should be put to rest!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness