Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 01:00 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,031,211 times

Advertisements

How many of us have had lifestyle changes directly caused by the changing economic situation? How many of us are living differently now than we did several years ago? What are we doing differently now? I suspect the answers to how to get by in the changed economy will be as varied and as different as each person here.

Our changes are mostly in what we are eating and an increased effort in producing as much of what we need ourselves, although our production isn't anywhere near all we need. We are using a lot less of a lot of things and have completely quit using and buying other things. On a day to day basis it is gardening, canning and using seasonal fruits and vegetables. On a longer term basis, we are starting fiber and yarn production with some angora rabbits. I don't anticipate using the yarn ourselves, but selling it to produce some income. If the design of the spinning wheel works, selling spinning wheels may become a possible income. We also hatch a few chicken eggs and sell chicks for a small amount of income although lately we've been trading them for things more than selling them for money.

We've kinda gone into frugal mode, no more eating out, no more frivolous spending, etc. It's kinda nice, actually, we visit with the neighbors more, go to the library more. Picnics can be much more relaxing than eating at a restaurant and they are much more affordable, too.

So what kind of changes have you made in the last several years?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2010, 05:16 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
For me..
-no more cell phone
-no more cable TV
-no more frozen food (except for ice cream)
-going out to eat is now for Birthday's and special occasions
-I work home 1 day a week to save gas & wear and tear on the truck

I'm making more from scratch.
Growing more vegetables (spring and fall) and saving seeds.

Old 10-11-2010, 11:21 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times
I've been a survivalist since the Seventies. I made my lifestyle changes years ago. My only recent changes have been in some business policies, primarily marketing. Consequently I eat the same as I did a while back, and maintain a lifestyle that is not only prudent, but enjoyable.

I look forward to financial troubles as a chance to gain, not to lose. Many people came out of the Great Depression in very good shape. But I don't believe that he stock market and real estate will be the only avenues this time. I believe that the best bet is the same as in the Seventies, a bet against the US in general and the dollar in particular. I certainly don't see anyone of Ronald Reagan's caliber on the horizon.

Assuming Obama's reelection, a fairly safe assumption at this time, we may further assume a continued erosion of the dollar. This is already good for holders of gold and other tangibles. The apparent conversion of unemployment compensation into permanent welfare along with a cessation of foreclosures bodes well. It's inconceivable that the government isn't pushing to stop foreclosures. But where will we get the money? That's simple. The Fed can simply purchase securities and put as much money into the economy as necessary to fully fund the policy.

When do things fly apart? I'd say that the situation will become untenable by the end of Obama's second term.

What can you do now if you're just starting?

1) Buy gold.

2) Stock up on supplies to prevent problems in case of disruptions.

3) Look to sell real estate in better markets, replacing it with better values in worse. Look as well for area and states with favorable pollitical and social trends. This is my current project. I think it likely that Arizona may be the first to tell Washington good-bye.

4) Stay away from cities and contiguous suburbs. There could be periods of rioting, general strikes, etc., followed by martial law.

5) Find a workable occupation that could work in bad times. This may be illegal now. If it is, don't do it; just learn about it. As an example, keep in mind that 10% of Americans are alcoholics.

6) Remember that Obama has been OK on guns, far better than McCain would have been. But buy guns quietly, and shut up about it to your pals and everyone else you meet.

7) Be ready to change and adapt as circumstances change.

Old 10-11-2010, 11:27 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post

So what kind of changes have you made in the last several years?
My changes have been more in awareness than actual behavioral changes. We still live much as we did in the past (although we are working longer, harder hours for the same amount of money). But I have learned and/or refined a lot of skills like canning, spinning wool, sewing, cooking, etc. and I am always trying to gain more skills to make us as self-sufficient as possible.

I am constantly seeking, and learning and reading about things that would helps us get through a SHTF scenario.

I am however, buying lots more bullets that I used to.

20yrsinBranson

Old 10-12-2010, 07:21 AM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I've been a survivalist since the Seventies. I made my lifestyle changes years ago.
Same here.

My parents never let me forget what had happened to them during the Great Depression.

Old 10-12-2010, 08:29 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,191,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
For me..
-no more cell phone
-no more cable TV
-no more frozen food (except for ice cream)
-going out to eat is now for Birthday's and special occasions
-I work home 1 day a week to save gas & wear and tear on the truck

I'm making more from scratch.
Growing more vegetables (spring and fall) and saving seeds.

Amazing how many people proclaim how they have gotten rid of modern conveniences------no more cell phones
---------------------no more cable tv
---------------------no more frozen foods

( doing their proclaiming on their computer via internet connection)

Old 10-12-2010, 09:36 AM

3,111 posts, read 8,055,172 times
I now live in a van by the river.

Old 10-12-2010, 04:43 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Amazing how many people proclaim how they have gotten rid of modern conveniences------no more cell phones

I never proclaimed to have gotten rid of all of them..

What I have gotten rid of were extraneous and save me money each and every month.

My lifestyle changes are NOT to get me living in stone age times, although you seem to think so.

By reducing money I spend, that is more I can save and use to pay off my mortgage.

Old 10-12-2010, 11:43 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,031,211 times
What changes, if any, have you made, Marmac? Inquisitive minds want to know.

Note, Marmac, HappyTexan made a list of the changes he has made in his lifestyle, - which is what the topic is - he didn't proclaim he had gotten rid of modern conveniences. We are just interested in lifestyle changes caused by the current economic trends not necessarily what level they changed to.

This year we went on an Alaskan sea cruise which was a total frivolous spending but it was discounted by 80% and we cashed in airline miles for the plane tickets so we were able to afford to go even with the restricted income we now have. If the economy was good, the cruise tickets wouldn't have been discounted so heavily. So, even though it was incredibly luxurious and a sheer frivolous expense, we were able to afford it because of the current economic situation. Although, technically, I don't think going on cruise ship vacations is a "lifestyle change" unless we do it frequently so it might not be a valid example.

Old 10-13-2010, 01:04 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,275,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post

Many 'modern' conveniences are actually a misnomer. Cable TV, what's it's convenience? Cellphone, how many times do you use it when you absolutely need it, and how many times do you use it because you have it? I know from my experience the vast majority of times I used it it was purely convenience, for instance I was bored in traffic, hit my headset and talk to a friend while driving home.

Now a computer and an internet connection can eliminate both of these in many cases. Cable TV goes away, you can watch video on demand through Amazon, Hulu or NetFlix (or all three). You can email rather than call (which is weird a did a lot more of emailing or texting on my phone than talking). Its rationalization, and invariably cheaper, since most people with these things also had internet fees too. I used to pay $100pm phone, $150pm cable/internet. Now I pay $75 internet only and a $10 NetFlix fee that's a $215 saving no small beans of course I'm sure that T-mobile and Comcast are suffering, I however am not.

Don't mistake people who want to get away from much modern life being modern day luddites, many of us are not, quite the reverse. We just don't necessarily buy in to the rest of the advertising.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness