Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 04:20 PM

805 posts, read 2,000,172 times

Advertisements

So the past year or so i have become fascinated with the whole off the grid/into the wild living as well as learning about survival necessities and skills for if SHTF or just for whatever...

I was curious if there was any nomadic tribes of people in North America? I don't think so as much of the US is developed and most of the undeveloped regions of Canada would be too cold in the winters.

Also, does anyone have some suggestions on books to read, both fiction/non fiction literature as well as survival teachings/guides to learn or keep with me in that dire situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2010, 05:00 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,874,074 times
The Irish Travelers while stationed out of Murphy Village have been known to go, well, traveling.

I have also heard of people losing their jobs and having to live out of their car which for them meant traveling all over.

Old 10-26-2010, 05:26 PM

123 posts, read 297,058 times
not sure they will accept new member.

Inuit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-26-2010, 05:27 PM

Definetly not looking to join as a member lol, it was just a curiousity i had.
I am however anxious to read and learn and practice all that i can about surviving!

Old 10-27-2010, 12:57 PM

854 posts, read 1,977,004 times
most every group of alaska natives are still semi-nomadic (i.e. travel to fish camp in summer). most are fairly settled in villages now, but this has only happened over the past century. every season has its own subsistence activities and places to do them (hunting various things, fishing for different kinds of fish, gathering different kinds of plants/berries).

Old 10-27-2010, 02:00 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,482,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmadsm View Post
I was curious if there was any nomadic tribes of people in North America?
Yup. They're called "homeless". They've been known to walk around city streets, especially on garbage day, rifling through the trash, looking for bottles to collect for the deposits.

They support themselves partly through this. Very much like the "cartoneros" in Buenos Aires after the Argentine peso was devalued.

Anybody see any parallels here???

Old 10-27-2010, 03:34 PM

lol definetly a different way of looking at it, its not the cinema/hollywood portrayed idea but definetly fairly accurate

Old 10-27-2010, 09:12 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,589,016 times
Quote:
I was curious if there was any nomadic tribes of people in North America?

I don't know where they originate, but there is a huge tribe that assembles yearly in Quartzsite, Arizona:

Winter RVing in Quartzsite, Arizona

There's another tribe, again of unknown origin, that assembles yearly in the Black Rock desert of Nevada:

Burning Man - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-30-2010, 02:38 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,955,711 times
Most people who live that way don't have anything that runs off eletricty, so finding them isn't that easy. That fastest way to find anyone living this way is to talk with a Nam vet. There are lots of nam vets still living out, off the land in smaller groups.

Near by where I live there is one group. I leave clothing, tools and food items just off the road, and the next day they are gone.

I don't live in their world now, so I don't pretend to be social. I don't think you can live in both worlds at the same time.

For me anyway to go venture into the area they are would make it impossible for me to go home and sleep in a warm bed, stuff my face with good food, and live how I do today.

Old 10-30-2010, 05:28 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
Quote:
Definetly not looking to join as a member lol, it was just a curiousity i had.
I am however anxious to read and learn and practice all that i can about surviving!
Go to the "sticky" at the top of this section and you will find a number of good links and reading recommendations.

>>>> Survival/Emergency info & links

and this >>>> Worthwhile survival books and other media
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness