Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 02:43 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,195,139 times

Advertisements

If in a cold (even cool) climate such as northern forest, plains, or high-desert, a yurt on a simple deck can be an effective, year round, non-permanent (thus legal in most places) dwelling. Buy land with enough woods to sustain the amount of fuel you will burn in the wood stove. If you are in desert or high plains, buy a site near ranching and collect cow pies for fuel (seriously).Hang carpets around the perimeter wall. Study how traditional Mongolians live as, in my opinion, they have the most comfortable tent-based lifestyle in something other than a year-round warm climate.

If you are going to be in warm desert, study Bedouins.

I would opt to live in forested area if attempting this type of lifestyle. For one, the forest provides a lot of fuel, water (your most serious day-to-day concern unless you want to truck in a little water every day or a lot every week), and food compared to barren areas. The other thing is, even if your set-up is entirely legal, it is better to have as few people knowing about your set-up as possible to avoid vandalism or other unwanted attention. You don want everyone driving down Rt.9X to know that you have a semi-permanent tent five miles away across the plains. In the woods you can be a hundred yards off a main highway and be invisible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2011, 03:50 PM

3,573 posts, read 6,457,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadRefugee View Post
Hello people.

I am interesting in buying a piece of raw land. And then living in a van, tent, shack, or some other kind of simple structure on it.

Which states or counties have leniant regulations for this sort of thing? I basically want to buy some land and then be able to do wanything I want on it, build anything I want, etc.

There are many reasons why I want to live like this. It is something I have been dreaming about for years now. Because I am poor, I cannot afford a proper house, so I am satisfied to live more basically.

I spent a few weeks livng in a Thai village where there was no electricity, utilities, sewage etc. Just straw huts. And I loved it. I could definitely make that a permanent lifestyle just like they, and many people around the world do. I have also lived outdoors before for long periods of time, so I know what i'm getting into.

Thanks a lot people. This is a great forum you hae here with lots of great info and I look forward to getting to know you all better.
I have 40 acres in Northern AZ that is raw land and you can do whatever you want to on the land. My neighbors include several families that homeschool their children and live by the land. I also had an older gentleman that was a cattleman but I don't think he's alive anymore. But most of my neighbors live off the land.

What price range are you looking at?

Old 04-19-2011, 07:04 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,141,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyme4878 View Post
Remember that a lot of governement land has length of stay rules. For the Forest Service it is 2 weeks. You can then come back after two weeks.

I believe you can camp out on your own land and do (almost) whatever in most states. Codes don't often apply until you start building over 250 square feet (this is what I have learned from reading how-tos on straw bale or cobb houses). I think the only issue I would be worried about is a "septic system." I'm thinking (but far from knowing) that that would be the main issue for codes and such at the level of living you are talking about. I guess I would just look at where land is the cheapest according to what climate/features you want, then check the outhouse regulations. In Minnesota, we had a hole dug out with two of the big blue barrels set in it.

Anyhow, in the case of outhouses, I don't think regulations are that bad--makes you really think about where you want to put it.

for homes under 250 sq.ft.

Tumbleweed Tiny House Company

Old 05-02-2011, 01:23 PM

3 posts, read 8,309 times
Thanks, yeah I am familiar with the Earthships there. I am not aiming to go that expensive route. I am thinking of making just a little passive solar cob hobbit hut. What I'm looking for is relatively inexpensive raw land with loose building codes allowing for cob building and someplace near the west coast. Oregon is like the cob epicenter of the US im pretty sure, but I've never been there and I really wanted to be in northern Cali. Does anyone know of any existing commuinites in northern cali, or groups of people who want to do this out there? What about parts of cali where land is relatively affordable for a lady like me?

Old 05-02-2011, 02:40 PM

7,485 posts, read 10,435,834 times
I've been giving this thread a lot of thought, and a lot of reading.

When people use the word "live" (as in, vehicle or tent), the real meaning is "reside". I personally think that a "residence" is something to be avoided for those who wish to "live" unconventionally. You may think, "what in the world is he talking about? We have to live in it!". Sure you do...but it doesn't need to be a "residence". After all, if it doesn't have "bedrooms", that reduces the size of the septic system. And if it's a "barn" or a "shop", it might not need any septic at all.

Our place will likely be some sort of research facility with people who "work" there. Of course, we will "live" there as well, but that fact will not be made public. We figure there will be a lot more freedom that way. Our structures will also be minus permanent foundations, which will make them "temporary" and thus not as taxable as a "residence".

There are many ways to skin the same cat. For every rule, it's fun finding a way around it. We just have to be careful not to cut the corners too close. If we keep our mouths shut, keep a low profile, and make everything look the way we say it is, well, folks believe what they see, for the most part.

I'm tickled by this line of thinking, and would welcome some comments about it.

Old 05-02-2011, 03:41 PM

37,246 posts, read 60,987,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post

When people use the word "live" (as in, vehicle or tent), the real meaning is "reside". I personally think that a "residence" is something to be avoided for those who wish to "live" unconventionally. You may think, "what in the world is he talking about? We have to live in it!". Sure you do...but it doesn't need to be a "residence". After all, if it doesn't have "bedrooms", that reduces the size of the septic system. And if it's a "barn" or a "shop", it might not need any septic at all.

Our place will likely be some sort of research facility with people who "work" there. Of course, we will "live" there as well, but that fact will not be made public. We figure there will be a lot more freedom that way. Our structures will also be minus permanent foundations, which will make them "temporary" and thus not as taxable as a "residence".

There are many ways to skin the same cat. For every rule, it's fun finding a way around it. We just have to be careful not to cut the corners too close. If we keep our mouths shut, keep a low profile, and make everything look the way we say it is, well, folks believe what they see, for the most part.

Yes, the 'permanent foundation' requires a building permit, which starts the requirement for a septic system, blah blah blah.

Last week I helped a farmer rebuilding some of her fences. She has a collection of sheds, maybe 10' by 10' on her land. No foundations and she has had as many as four families living on her land with her. She has a huge garden

Outhouses are perfectly acceptable, as are composting toilets among folks in alternative housing.

I know a family that have lived in a school bus for years.

Old 05-05-2011, 08:56 AM

859 posts, read 2,818,938 times
My uncle bought a trailer and found a nice flat area at the base of one of the hills in KY. Parked the trailer there thinking it would be short term while he found a permanent spot. That was 30 yrs ago and he's still in the same place.

Old 05-05-2011, 09:07 AM

37,246 posts, read 60,987,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johna01374 View Post
My uncle bought a trailer and found a nice flat area at the base of one of the hills in KY. Parked the trailer there thinking it would be short term while he found a permanent spot. That was 30 yrs ago and he's still in the same place.
A single-wide trailer is a much better option then a Chevy van under a bridge by the river.

Old 05-08-2011, 04:40 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,790,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johna01374 View Post
Does he own the land or is he "squatting"?

Old 05-19-2011, 08:39 PM

2,765 posts, read 2,780,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post

I have contemplated turning a greenhouse into a house. Would save on heat in the summer and I can always employ different shading techniques when it gets too hot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness