U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2010, 04:12 PM

19,127 posts, read 11,629,874 times

Advertisements

Misty, seems more like yer feet touched Earth now. The first post was all mixed up with lots of issues.

What is Dx'd? Lettery things like that often loose me.

next I am not a skilled typist, more like typo King. i am self taught and type with 2 fingers one on each hand. Often times i miss the proper keys, and being dyslexic i don't see the error untill it is too late, like the next day.

My father divorced my mother when I was 5, my little brother was just 3. My mother saw herself as a ruined woman and dated a lot of drunks and loosers. By 6 I had a bad rep with the cops for putting grown men in the hospital. These men would first beat my mother who had it coming, then my little brother and i was last. i got sick of it and stopped them anyway i could when they were beating my brother. I tomahwked some of them with toy air planes, shot one in the back with a target bow and arrow set, and used what ever I could get my hands on as a weapon.

I have 0 use of drunks to this day. I am not a bad guy to be around, but I don't get pushed too very far before I will let the dawgs of Hell loose.

Now my father was a straight laced as they come. I saw him drunk just one time in my life, and he was too happy, not bad to be around and I failed to understand he was drunk even, but figured it out later. Not much later though.

Back to that. As a wee lad he took me camping, took me target shooting, and took me hunting. Before I was 6, I could load and shoot a Springfield 30-06 by myself, or a Winchester pump 12 ga shot gun. On my 6th birthday he gave me a well used .22 single shot rifle to be mine, and to use and keep when and where i wanted.

Getting back: One of the last acts of family violence i sort of suffered as i dished out plenty myself was at Dads place. The day I saw him drunk he had made certain arraingments to meet up with me in Boston. I had been living in Boston 3 years alone by then and was 17.

He took me to dinner, and talked. He wanted me to return that night with him, but I couldn't. I was at a school in Boston and working after school all set up my my bosses. I went to Dad's at the end of the week. Bad move.

The first thing different was he wasn't happy anymore. He took my jeans and knee high boots and trashed them. He took away the rest of my things and demanded I could go to school, but not work after school, and that I had to have my hair cut.

My time after school was to be free one evening, a night of my choice till 11 pm. None of that was gonna fly, more so the damnned hair cut. My hair today is halfway down my back.

So my 2 uncles showed up, and got right out of hand in the house, my step mothers house, and so i ran out, which encouraged my uncles. One had 3 feet of 1 inch rope with a knot on the end and the other had real long shears. Dad followed, but didn't do anything else.

One of my uncles was 6'7" and I wasn't a match for ethier one as they saw things. I fell running in gravel and ended up getting caught long enough to take 3 or 4 wacks with that rope, which i grabbed and was raised to my feet for just hanging on tight.

I got that rope and turned it back on the both of them, which got me the shears.

Then I stopped and went to the top of the hill in the yard, and then on top of the picnic table. My step mother opened the window to ask if I needed anything. I was bleeding from the fall. I told her to call the cops, and she did. The cops came, and demanded I hand over the weapons, and I refused unless they arrested me. They said they would, but I refused still, untill I walked to the cruiser, where I was placed under arrest and hand cuffed to be locked in the cruiser.

Everyone thought that was strange, I did to, but that got me out of there. Dad showed up down town, and the cops plain released me with a warning to Dad for his brothers.

By that days end i was back in Boston, and the next day at school and back to work.

So I know a few things about life and violence; guns too.

Since 1972 I have been shooting flintlock guns and i do a lot better with them than any experts you might see on the History Channel. So I know many types of guns.

I have hunted and killed game since i was 6. I pray after any kills for food, and only hunt or fish for food.

Shooting man is another thing. The one time i did, I lost a lot of sleep and found I was not nearly as steady under threat of life, my wife of the time and my son. There is a whole other mind set, and that first time i wasn't aware of the mindset.

Bad guys have most of the choices, and the defender has the least. Bad guys know decent folks are scared of them, scared of the law, and will use that against you. I know I was all confused trying to get things figured so no one got hurt, but i ran out of ideas when the cops told me they were not coming, and were not my body guards.

Then and there the bad guy came forward waving that tire iron and I had no place to back up to standing in my own ft door. I shut out my frantic wife's voice, she was screeming hysterically and repeating why won't the police come, over and over.

My son was 4 in his crib screeming, because his mother was and i shut that out too.

My Great Dane was standing ahead of me growing at the bad guy, who wasn't phased a bit about a dog the size of a pony.

I knew I had to stay focused. It was me and a incoherent bad guy, with no assistance forth coming.

Was I scared, you bet I was. The cop on the phone was just blabbering away telling me what I could and could not do and was wanting me to leave the house with my wife and kid, not getting the idea the only way out was thru the bad guy. My back yard ended in a cliff 80 feet down to a brook, but I didn't tell the cop that. I wasn't having a nice phone conversation, and was making a feeble attempt to have a witness, such as it was.

My bad guy was a drug addled fool with out a gun, which was good for me and bad for him, but he didn't think I would shoot.

So the point is if you are going to be armed means thinking enough that you won't just give the gun over to the bad guy. I thought I was going to do 15 to 20 years for shooting that dammned jerk, but I knew it would save the lives of my now x wife and my son.

There are no heros, no soap boxes to stand on, no cool votes, nuthin. You live or you die, and so far I am no good at this dyin thing.

Last, if I were King every person on any paroll board would do the same time for a crime any felon does after release. From the Judge to the last social worker in the paroll board, would all be doing the same time as the con whether or not he caught again. Ink is just too cheap, sign in blood.

So yeah after the murders I became hard core, and I don't see me changing from that point of view, even i the law makes me a outlaw. Bad guys and cops look alike to me now.

Every one has their choices, I choose eatting at home at night, but I can't choose for other people, but I can feed them to the coyottes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2010, 12:02 AM

4,100 posts, read 3,208,121 times
You might have a heart, but you had also better get a gun. If TSHTF, no one is going to give a damn about how good hearted you are. Do you think for a minute people would not take advantage of you if they could? Giving hand outs to people coming by your home looking for work will get you nothing but trouble. When you find this out for yourself, it will be too late. In my work as a law enforcement officer and a security company owner, I've seen the worst in people. You are a sitting duck, waiting to be plucked.

Old 11-28-2010, 11:46 AM

NR, There are lots of people who think if they are attacked, and are nice to the bad guy, that the bad guy will relate, and be nice to them back. I guess I don't need to tell you that.

This can go for the dentless fix it guys on the street too. They see the car and the driver parking, and ask if the car could be fixed in the street. First of all it isn't likey the fix will be right, if done at all, and that the driver is just geting checked out.

Old 11-29-2010, 03:10 AM

8,070 posts, read 8,685,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
No worries, Nighteyes. I just think we used to be a far more compassionate society. Now I look at things and all I can see are things getting UGLY and SCARY at the rate things are going. It's enough to make me want to join SOME community so that when TSHTF I won't be on my own. And what's even scarier is far too many people don't know how to do the things my parents knew how to do during the Great Depression (and that includes me! ).

And I will say that there are churches out there filled with republicans (and liberals) that do help those in need, but as a general rule and IMHO, liberals tend to be more concerned with the welfare of the average Joe than republicans.

In this particular case, this person is not a church goer and is a republican. He put his own daughter out on the street as she was three weeks late on the rent and also let her son (in his 30s) live with her. Admittedly, her son has had problems of the alcohol and drug variety, but SO DOES THE DAD and person in question who put them out on the street. Oh well, he lost money on that deal so Karma does exist.

This situation has been in the making for the last 30 years and there is plenty of blame to go around. I just fear it might be too late to change the trajectory of events.
Why are you even friends with someone you find so awful? Putting the political differences aside, why associate with someone who treats people awful, and abuses drugs and alcohol AND has guns on hand. Why are you even over there?

BTW on the Politics thread you talk about taking gun lessons and getting a gun. So you're contradicting yourself.

I learned a long time ago to get away from toxic people. So I really don't get why you bother with this person.

Old 11-29-2010, 09:27 AM

I hear that seain. My father left that toxic enviro, but i was trapped and left when I was 14, never looked back. In the situation misty tells of, probably getting kicked out was a life saving event.

Old 11-29-2010, 01:18 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,565,019 times
Quote:
Yes, he does have guns and is a member of the NRA. I just don't know what to think, except I think it's time to permanently cut the ties that used to bind us.
You've mentioned it a few times already, so I'd like to know, what does having guns have to do with any of this?

Secondly, what does any of this have to do with Self Sufficiency and Preparedness?

Old 11-29-2010, 01:41 PM

29,990 posts, read 20,990,334 times
Quote:
I was talking to a "friend" today whose doorbell rang. Someone was looking for work, anything. My "friend" was drunk and high on pills, as he has the luxury of being a diehard republican with a gov't pension, healthcare for life, and too much time on his hands (and guns, btw).

Anyway, things didn't sound friendly. I asked my friend if he didn't have any bushes that needed to be trimmed. He said he trims his own bushes. He also gives out $1 tips to the baggers at the grocery store when drunk.

I just have to shake my head. We spent more time discussing how he wasn't able to tell his deceased FIL how much he hated him before his passing and yet he never asked me one question as to how I've been doing since my dad's passing, a man I loved. He never asked about the funeral, how my mom is doing - nothing.

And these are the people who think they are right and Christian? Anyway, to get back on track, yes, we are in a depression but compassion seems to be lacking and I just have to wonder what is going to happen. When people are going door to door looking for work and encountering drunk people with weapons (who have theirs, so eff you), how much more is it going to take?
Unless this "friend" was threatening the doorbell ringing solicitor looking for work with a firearm, or unless he is a convicted felon prohibited by law to posess firearms, why is his ownership of weapons even relevant? Clue: it is not. Is the OP a hoplophobe?

Trying to twist the rantings of a single drunkard into a political rant and an indication of "what has happened to this country" is a pathetic attempt on the part of the OP, IMO.

Mods.....this thread belongs in the political forum.

Old 11-29-2010, 01:53 PM

843 posts, read 1,084,781 times
in general, i find an increasing lack of compassion these days, especially in the more populated areas.

Old 11-29-2010, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Well, you are the mod so ok, but I'd actually like some input as to what kinds of groups a person might be able to join at this point in order to prepare. I believe it's coming and don't want to be alone when TSHTF. I am not connected to any solid community and if I am smart, I will at least take steps to prepare. I just don't know how to do that and don't see myself joining a militia group and heading for MT. Surely there must be something short of that! BTW, I do listen to Alex Jones and know he is big time into this. At one point I was stocking up on the food and it might have seemed a bit crazy. But this was around Katrina time so I didn't think it was so crazy. I can stock up on food and water and I know I should on medications, but what else? I don't want to put bars up on the windows (neighbors would NOT appreciate this), but how can we keep on headed in this direction? I read a forum about people who press on and on for tier V who are in dire straits, but I can't figure out why they are not shouting out for bringing our jobs back! At some point the tiers WILL run out and then what happens?
Ok, this post is quite different from your OP. I'm not certain how to tie the two together however to answer part of your questions without any indication of in what region of the country you are living :

Plus, I know nothing about guns or ammo (not that I want to know, but I probably SHOULD KNOW) as I am a single female living alone like a sitting duck.

This link should lead you to where you can find assistance to firearms safety and instructors as well as women's events:
NRA Women's Programs

I am not connected to any solid community and if I am smart, I will at least take steps to prepare.

You can help your odds of survival by surrounding yourself with like-minded people with skills whom you can trust to some degree. This may include family members or community members. This could mean becoming part of a church community, learning life skills and volunteering with local EMS organizations (red cross or local 1st responders), HAM radio clubs, etc... . While there are one or two on this forum who could probably survive in complete solitude in a SHTF scenario of civil, national economic upheaval, most of us need a safety net in the form of a support network for long term survival (year +).

At some point the tiers WILL run out and then what happens?

Well, at least you are making the mental leap that something could happen. That is a starting point.

1. Develope a plan: food, shelter, medical, self-defense, economic, evacuation....
2. Develope a back-up plan
3. Be flexible for unplanned contingencies with your survival and self-sufficiency plans.
4. Practice your plans and aquire skills and supplies before they are needed/required.
5. Keep you personal business about preparation to yourself and to family or trusted friends on a "need to know" basis as not to draw undo attention to yourself or make yourself/your family a target for those who may fail to prepare and weak of character.
6. Make lists of what you need and goals/actions required. Check one or two off of your list every day or week as you make your progress. Action is required, thinking about prepping alone does not a prepared person make.

Above all: focus on needs rather than wants of surviving up to at least 180 days without any governmental assistance (or longer). Be realistic on how you can best afford to prepare and realistic about your capabilities and shortcomings. Address the personal and physical shortcomings that are possible to overcome and find a way to enhance or develope your capabilities into tradable/marketable skills if required.

There are any number of survival books and forums. Suggest you read extensively. There are good links in this forum's "sticky" section.

Last edited by lifelongMOgal; 11-29-2010 at 03:02 PM..

Old 11-29-2010, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Ok, ya gotta love this. Ladies night at the gun club...

LOL, I guess I'll go. I'm a bit nervous, but I did see that movie with Annette Benning (American Beauty) so why not? Maybe it's time I empower myself and feel safer! If things DO get bad, and I think they will, I had better know how to defend myself!

Gosh, I never thought as a liberal I'd be typing out these words, but it's true.
Actually, ladies nights at gun clubs are not unusual at all. If this gun club can refer you to a certified and credible instructor offering group or private firearms safety instruction that is a step in the right direction.

Please do not confuse Hollywood with anything to do with reality, especially in regard to firearms.

Since you have not posted the state in which you live I suggest you do an internet search for your state gun rights organization and find the legal requirements for firearms ownership and CCW permits where you live. Ignorance of the law is no excuse for breaking it and firearms violations are generally unforgiving in the eyes of law enforcement and the courts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness