U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 09:59 PM

829 posts, read 2,507,361 times

Advertisements

I know many like to keep firearms scattered around the house, because we all are not in the bed room at all times...none the less say you want to keep a weapon in your family room so if an intruder comes in, you dont have to run upstairs to the bed room to get the shotgun you keep next to your bed....none the less for the weapon you keep in your family room, do you take it upstairs with you every night once you go to bed?(Assuming you dont have it on your hip at all times, because i know some here do) Lets say you keep a handgun in a cabinet in your family room, would you carry that upstairs with you every night, just in case a burglar breaks in and happens to find that gun and can actually use it against you? Im asking because im thinking the i may purchase a revolver, or put a current shotgun i have and may keep it in the family room during the day and then take it up at night...Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2010, 12:46 AM

4,101 posts, read 5,901,926 times
Many of us have many firearms, well over fifty isn't unusual. So it is no problem to leave one by a favorite chair in more than one room. I have been into single action cowboy shooting for sometime, so the single action revolvers I own number over 20, the rifles and shotguns for that sport also have also added up. Before that I shoot Sporting Clays, which is a shotgun sport using mostly over and under shotguns or semi auto shotguns. In my home I have a room where most of my firearms are stored, but I have also left loaded handguns and shotguns in different areas of my home. I don't have an upstairs, but I have a favorite reclining chair in my living room. Tonight, as I write this, there are four different handguns within reach of my chair, all are loaded. Across the room is a dining room, near the table an antique ice box is against the wall and a pump shotgun rests against the wall also. Also near that table is a pantry, a shotgun sits in a holder on the end of a shelf that is used to store canned food and other cooking supplies. A person could slide a pump shotgun under the edge of a sofa in your family room or living room. Use your imagination to come up with hiding places. I have a holster on my right side kind of behind my hip bone, this holster holds a 1911 Colt pistol, if my shirt tail is not tucked in, the gun and holster are competely concealed. No, I don't wear it to bed, but the gun from that holster is near my hand at night. I have experience as a law emforcement officer, I've seen bad things happen to people that were not prepared, so I try to leave nothing to chance. In the past I have visited our shooting range on a weekly basis, so I shoot one kind of firearm, or another, often. I also reload many different kinds of ammunition for rifles, shotguns and handguns. I also own a compound bow and several dozen arrows. Bows are deadly in the hands of an experienced user, and they are almost silent. I enjoy hunting, and I enjoy shooting. Practice is very important, having a firearm is almost useless without it. I do not have any children who live in my home or visit often, if I did my lifestyle would be different. I think you will find it is quite common for many people to possess many firearms of one kind or another. People that shoot guns as a sport usually have several for each shooting style they participate in.

Last edited by Nite Ryder; 11-30-2010 at 01:02 AM..

Old 11-30-2010, 12:58 AM

5,197 posts, read 3,751,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite Ryder View Post
Many of us have many firearms, well over fifty isn't unusual. So it is no problem to leave one by a favorite chair in more than one room. I have been into single action cowboy shooting for sometime, so the single action revolvers I own number over 20, the rifles and shotguns for that sport also have also added p. Before that I shoot Sporting Clays, which is a shotgun sport using mostly over and under shotguns or semi auto shotguns. In my home I have a room where most of my firearms are stored, but I have also left loaded handguns and shotguns in different areas of my home. I don't have an upstairs, but I have a favorite reclining chair in my living room. Tonight, as I write this, there are four different handguns within reach of my chair, all are loaded. Across the room is a dining room, near the table an antique ice box is against the wall and a pump shotgun rests against the wall also. Also near that table is a pantry, a shotgun sits in a holder on the end of a shelf that is used to store canned food and other cooking supplies. A person could slide a pump shotgun under the edge of a sofa in your family room or living room. Use your imagination to come up with hiding places. I have a holster on my right side kind of behind my hip bone, this holster holds a 1911 Colt pistol, if my shirt tail is not tucked in, the gun and holster are completely concealed. No, I don't wear it to bed, but the gun from that holster is near my hand at night. I have experience as a law enforcement officer, I've seen bad things happen to people that were not prepared, so I try to leave nothing to chance.
Yep what he said

Old 11-30-2010, 08:13 AM

Do you worry that if someone did happen to break in your home they could see the hidden gun or find the hidden gun and use it against you? That is the one thing im thinking about...

Old 11-30-2010, 12:25 PM

5,197 posts, read 3,751,908 times
Nope, I can draw and shoot accurately in 5 seconds or less (seems like a long time, but trust me it's certainly not). I'm always armed unless showering, or asleep, my handguns are left holstered on the bedside table, and there's a shotgun, and a piston AR-15 clone racked above it, finally there are other weapons in easy reach should they be necessary. It's not like I have a huge place to defend either, and I'm in a highly defensible position, there's one way in, it's narrow, my house is centered in a 100 yard clearing in the forest (for fire and security) the only logical approach is via that driveway. The Driveway entry is 1 mile off the road.

Now you seem to be worried about it, and it seems you are not very familiar with firearms and their uses, so you need to make that decision as to how you are going to have available weapons. That may be always carrying or secreting them about the place. Prime thing is that your defense preparations don't scare you more than your fear of incursion. Chances are in general that you'll never suffer a home invasion or have to use your firearm in self defense, but as has been said before, I hope I never have a home fire, but I still have fire extinguishers, just in case.

Old 11-30-2010, 01:52 PM

While, I am not a pro by any means, i am familiar with firearms...however it just popped into my mind, what would happen if i was upstairs asleep and someone broke through the door, and happened to see a weapon hidden and could possibly use against me...It was just a thought. Thank you for answering though.

Old 11-30-2010, 04:36 PM

6,940 posts, read 7,669,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticViking View Post
...however it just popped into my mind, what would happen if i was upstairs asleep and someone broke through the door, and happened to see a weapon hidden and could possibly use against me...It was just a thought.
Yes, this went through my mind also, as well as what would happen if my grandchildren were here, which they often are...that could end up as a real tragedy.

And yet, I find it necessary to keep loaded pistols or shotguns in various areas of the house, always within reach. They are not only hidden, but they are hidden up high, where children cannot reach and where intruders' eyes are not likely to fall, at least not at first.

I am talking about specially-installed fake "moldings" around where the walls meet the ceilings; a fake molding around the skylight window in our family room; a fake molding around but under the perimeter of our kitchen table.

House walls, furniture, decorations...the list goes on and on, of places where you can hide things to keep them out of the hands of little ones and intruders. In fact, firearms are not the only things we keep hidden in plain sight! Try: food, precious metals, bottles of alcohol, spare cash, whatever it is, just hide it high and hide it "built-in".

Old 11-30-2010, 07:16 PM

19,122 posts, read 21,386,443 times
My situation is different than many, so the only long gun loaded is a 12 ga pump semi hidden in my closet, no rnd chambered. The 2 I carry are either on me or the one not carried is on a book shelf next to the bed.

Right now I am in the bed room, but it serves a lot more than for just sleeping. So the 45 is there now, and the other hand gun is on me.

In the garden season I leave a varmint rifle loaded and hidden in the barn. That way any stranger in the barn isn't very likey to find that rifle.

OT this bed room is 14x1 25, and has the tv in the right lower corner up high, my pc is right below it on a table i made.
The left lower corner is a art studio with a another pc, for my wife. On the far end on the say upper right is the entry door, so upper left is a silver work bench with a vise and anvil. Center upper is a sewwing station with a machine.

Lower center is the closet so I am next to that 12 ga.

Dead center is the bed. The head of the bed is backed by a dresser where 4 aladian lamps are , 2 running at the moment. Up from there is a sea chest from the 18th century will most of my clothing, but up off the floor. Across from that are 2 more dressers both old and they are topped by more bookshelves.

All around are unloaded flinters in plain sight, swords, a partisian, stone tipped spears, raw hide shilds some feathered hats called gus sta way, and other assorted 1750-1840 items.

Anyone coming in here with a bad idea is realy gonna wish they picked on a much softer target.

If I had any more room I would have all my hawks hangin on the wall, there are a few nicer ones, but not nearly all.

In summer I use a small deck gun made of bronze as a door stop. The barrel weighs 45 pounds, is 28 inches long and can shoot a golf ball or 1/4 pound of number 4 machine screws.

I might be able to start a 18th century war.

No kids ever come here, and if they did I would close and lock the door.

Old 12-01-2010, 07:32 AM

1,985 posts, read 5,867,069 times
One by each door, my favorite chair and within reach of both sides of the bed. ALL out of reach of children, and from view. Oh, and of course fully loaded.....
And probably every post on here is in a file by now and will be in local BATF computers by tonight, just in case they need to go to our houses to "look" for something in the future.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:44 AM

19,122 posts, read 21,386,443 times
I am sure my name is in a little black book at the BATF too, but since they are not really any form of legal entity, I am not worried. They bleed red blood just like me. To just work as a gun store clerk you need a back ground check and to be finger printed just like any common criminal, and i have, may work in one again.

I do also go canoeing rather a lot
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness