U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2010, 04:01 PM

19,122 posts, read 21,201,717 times

Advertisements

Works pretty good for a canoe paddle too them SKS's do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2010, 04:23 PM

5,752 posts, read 6,604,469 times
My suggestion for the OP, is a Remington 1100 auto, combined w/ the Beretta PX4 SC in 9mm. Out fit both w/ lights and she's ready for rock and roll. As far as securing her property, I would invest in some motion sensor lights to be positioned around her property. Depending on the size of her property she can even set trip flares to really startel intruders.

Old 12-12-2010, 05:54 PM

3,511 posts, read 4,288,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waitingtundra View Post
Yep, and Axle made a good point about ex military weapons being good for self defense, now if the SHTF I would love to own one of those 1500$ assualt rifles, but since I'm a little light on the cash I figure my Chinese SKS assualt rifle I bought for a 100$'s with the 30 round magzines duct taped together will just have to do. There short, handy, and money in the bank any garbage ammo feeds threw them and if thangs ever got stupid youd not thank twice about stashing a few here and there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Works pretty good for a canoe paddle too them SKS's do.
You guys aren't lying, those SKS's were the best bang for the buck years ago. You could get into one for as little as $60-$70 for a issued one, a little on the rough side. For $100- $125 you could get a new one that was mint! Those things are the brother Type-56 to the AK variant and are tough as nails. I have a old Norinco that I bought in '89 for $100. 7.62X39MM is nothing to joke about either. Keep plenty of stripper clips ready and you are going to town. Just like a AK they eat everything. The sad thing is after the importation was banned prices started to climb. Expect to pay $300-$400 for one now if you can find one. Good luck as most people who own them AREN'T SELLING because for what they paid for it, you can't beat it. Even people who weren't into guns bought them back in the day because they were cheaper than a Ruger 10/22 even.

Old 12-12-2010, 06:40 PM

Quote:
I believe in NH the cops carry a 12 gauge pump locked in a holder loaded, so there is no need of them to be jackin that first round. Now i can't say I know that as fact, but i think so. August before last i was invovled in a crash, where a jeep hit a moose, and I hit the jeep. My ruined my ft fender on the kawii Nomad and so was nearly stopped. The moose had either a broken spine, or 2 rear broken legs and crawled off 1/4 mile into the swamp.

I was armed of course, but saw best to let the cops shoot the moose. When they came i tracked the moose for them in the dark, and took them to where the moose was. I never heard of saw any first round jacked into the chamber of that shot gun.
The two biggest reasons is you have the internal hammer and spring under spring tension which isn't good for long term storage. The second is a pump shotgun chambered with the safety on isn't the safest. If the shotgun in the trunk was ever in a accident (happens frequently in that line of work) it could discharge. It's all up to individual departments policy but most it is a no-no.

Old 12-12-2010, 07:03 PM

I'll even give you guys more info I guess. I just shot my being anonymous to hell anyway! LOL LOL The term is called "cruiser ready"! Cruiser ready= magazine tube fully loaded with a empty chamber and the hammer down. To bring the shotgun into condition 1 (ready to fire), you must pump the slide and chamber a round. The safety on most shotguns only blocks the trigger, nothing else, the firing pin and hammer are free to discharge from a severe impact or dropped hard, thus causing a negligent discharge. That's all I know, honest! LOL

Old 12-12-2010, 09:27 PM

19,122 posts, read 21,201,717 times
NH state police are a funny bunch. Like i said i wasn't 100% sure, but I tend to notice things, but maybe missed that click.

Last edited by Mac_Muz; 12-12-2010 at 09:54 PM..

Old 12-12-2010, 09:57 PM

Everyone has heard of the shotgun that went off after it fell out of a tree stand or tripping and slamming very hard to the ground, right? That's why most modern weapons, handguns in particular have a firing pin block. Even if the hammer falls it still won't fire unless the trigger is depressed. Pump shotguns safeties only block the trigger from movement, that's all. You can throw a GLOCK, SIG, HK or whatever off a building, but don't slam a shotgun down wile chambered. Especially barrel end first.

Old 12-12-2010, 09:59 PM

Even modern Smith & Wesson revolvers have one. I recently took the side plate off my 686 and gutted it to do a detail strip and cleaning. Yep, it's there too!

Old 12-12-2010, 10:11 PM

Quote:
NH state police are a funny bunch. Like i said i wasn't 100% sure, but I tend to notice things, but maybe missed that click.
You probably weren't wrong Mac. I see fingers inside the trigger guard or on the trigger too!

Old 12-13-2010, 12:26 PM

3,491 posts, read 5,242,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axle grease View Post
Imagine what a .45 ACP that is .451 to start with will do? LOL LOL
At the velocities common to .45 ACP ammo, they'll probably wind up around .453 in diameter. Seen the specs, done the tests, and all that.

With that said about the .45 ACP round, though, there's little meaningful difference between being hit by a barn door, and being hit by an even bigger barn door!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness