U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2010, 07:47 PM

19,122 posts, read 21,074,145 times

Advertisements

Don't be cuttin any live wires! The handle grip liner is conducting from the sharpened edge! The teflon coating is insulating the blade, but not at the cutting edge. A glance off a live wire with the teflon is mostly safe, but cut that wire with out insulated gloves with any meaning full current will blow yer socks out of their boots! 220 and up. You will still be wearing smoldering socks though
being that my son is at War, and knife like this is a great blade for in general work. In the event he has to cut live wires a lines man plier is the best tool, but if he didn't have one, and i don't know either way, this blade isn't the 2nd best tool for that task.

Some bladed weapons can stand this as they have totally 100% insulated grips. Of course in AC live wires once they are cut you have 2 more new problems. In a DC wire one wire is still a problem, but no one can tell looking at a razor wire if it is hot, or if it is AC or DC, unless you can see transformers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2010, 09:01 PM

3,511 posts, read 4,265,464 times
Problem could be solved with this stuff! Specialty Protective Coatings & Adhesives, Protective Foam Coatings, Dissipative Coatings

Old 12-19-2010, 12:40 PM

One other option could be a SIG P-226 or P-226 NAVY. I already listed a P-228 and a P-229 back many pages ago. If you are looking for a handgun to primarily use at home, in a house this rates high. I also recommended a CZ-75B and a Beretta 92FS/M9 if you go back a bunch of pages too. My friends and I love all our SIGs!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvx-H...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQzkjXBYrqs

Old 12-19-2010, 12:44 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7Wfc...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZWWD...eature=related

Old 12-19-2010, 12:55 PM

Why did I bother posting these^^^? For all the guys who say........... a woman, just get a .22LR. As you can see, a 9mm is fairly easy to control, even for smaller gals! That's male ego stroking at it's finest for ya! Yes, a gal can control and handle one. She can even outgun YOU with your .22LR!

Last edited by Axle grease; 12-19-2010 at 02:15 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 12-19-2010, 12:59 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NERiXZu8GXI

Old 12-20-2010, 02:38 PM

3,491 posts, read 5,210,987 times
I have a SIG P226 with which I compete. I greatly prefer it over Glocks because, for me, the SIG shoots where I'm looking. The Glocks shoot high. Of course, I could always learn to "live with" Glocks, but why bother?

That said, I STILL prefer my old Model 19 for initial home defense. Its far simpler than any semi-auto pistol. Even better, it shoots exactly where I'm looking, WITHOUT using the sights. Unless I'm facing a trained fire-team, it will be enough.

If I AM facing a trained fire-team, it won't matter.

Old 12-20-2010, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighteyes View Post
I have a SIG P226 with which I compete. I greatly prefer it over Glocks because, for me, the SIG shoots where I'm looking. The Glocks shoot high. Of course, I could always learn to "live with" Glocks, but why bother?

That said, I STILL prefer my old Model 19 for initial home defense. Its far simpler than any semi-auto pistol. Even better, it shoots exactly where I'm looking, WITHOUT using the sights. Unless I'm facing a trained fire-team, it will be enough.

If I AM facing a trained fire-team, it won't matter.
It's a S&W revolver. IT WORKS!

Old 12-21-2010, 11:53 PM

1,595 posts, read 2,043,029 times
Try both revolvers and auto loaders. Revolvers are much simpler, easier to learn to shoot, less prone to trouble, but have smaller ammo capacity, usually 5 or 6 rounds, a few have 7, 8, or 9. Slower to reload than autos, but can handle most any variety of ammo within its caliber.

Some autos only carry 6, many now carry 10 or more. Magazines are easy to drop & put in new one, ready to go. Autos can be fussy on ammo, some ammo will jam in some autos. Autos take more training to learn to load, operate safety, learn the different points of each. Autos have more gadgets & no 2 are alike. But autos are usually slimmer & easier to conceal if carrying that way.

Whatever pistol you get, get rubber grips for it. They absorb & soften recoil.

A pump shotgun is a great addition for the home, as mentioned. Point & shoot, you aren't likely to miss. Fairly heavy on recoil for 12 gauge, 20 gauge is a bit milder. Use 00 buckshot. you can get models with barrels as short as 18". The shorter, the easier to use indoors. That & a pistol together can help you a lot.

Old 12-22-2010, 07:48 AM

19,122 posts, read 21,074,145 times
Couple comments. A cheap 20 ga can kick like a mule, the stock has a lot more to do with the felt recoil than the loads. I have been woke rght up hard by some cheaper 20 ga shot guns.

18 inch: I wouldn't buy any shot gun factory made with any 18 barrels on a bet. All it takes is one bad cop to scrap a barrel on the ground one slide, to make that barrel less than 18 inches. A risk I am not personally willing to take. I wouldn't own any thing less than 18.5 inches, but then I tend to be fussy about the idea of prison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness