U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-22-2010, 12:46 PM

3,511 posts, read 2,364,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Couple comments. A cheap 20 ga can kick like a mule, the stock has a lot more to do with the felt recoil than the loads. I have been woke rght up hard by some cheaper 20 ga shot guns.

18 inch: I wouldn't buy any shot gun factory made with any 18 barrels on a bet. All it takes is one bad cop to scrap a barrel on the ground one slide, to make that barrel less than 18 inches. A risk I am not personally willing to take. I wouldn't own any thing less than 18.5 inches, but then I tend to be fussy about the idea of prison.
Almost all OEM barrels are Mac. Just for that very reason. Not everyone is qualified to read a tape measure correctly. That includes FEDS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2010, 02:05 PM

829 posts, read 1,575,631 times
I still stand by the 20 ga. Even though im not an expert on firearms, i still think that for a woman, and for general household protection..it does the trick.

Old 12-22-2010, 03:48 PM

Something else that might be of interest to GLOCK G-26, G-19 and G-17 owners. A genuine factory G-18 SMG 33 round mag. Yet another way to increase your firepower. Not to mention a 12 year old kid can work on them and OEM factory replacement parts are available EVERYWHERE! Glock 17/19/26 9mm 33rd Drop Free Mag New Factory (http://www.cdnninvestments.com/gl179mm33drf.html - broken link)

Old 12-22-2010, 03:50 PM

Parts.......... Lone Wolf Distributors - Main Page

Old 12-22-2010, 03:51 PM

Parts.......... Glock Parts | Factory Replacement Parts | Custom Glock Parts

Old 12-22-2010, 03:53 PM

More parts........... You get the idea (CHEAP) Gunsmithing - Shop Gunsmithing Tools & Supplies at MidwayUSA

Old 12-22-2010, 04:03 PM

I bet you if you drive less than 5 miles, you will find an armorer or someone at a gunshop who can help. That UPS Next Day Air freight charge for a handgun really sucks nowadays. Forget about it!

Old 12-22-2010, 04:05 PM

19,126 posts, read 10,997,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticViking View Post
I still stand by the 20 ga. Even though im not an expert on firearms, i still think that for a woman, and for general household protection..it does the trick.
With all due respect I disagree. So far as I can tell a women with a slight build will bend like a basket in a hurricane, and not snap like the sturdy oak.

I know because I weigh 145 pounds soaking wet, and have shot with women, who are under 100 pounds, and they can shoot anything I can shoot, and in some guns I can shoot hard recoiling guns longer than guys bigger than me.

I am not saying a woman or a guy for that matter who doesn't work up to a certain gun and or hot load should just go get a .458 Weatherby and stuff it in the closet to wait for a bad day. But with some training and a lot of practice almost any one can handel larger recoil.

When I was 6 years old, with my Dad I could stand and and shoot his Mil Issue Springfield on 30-06, and his Winchester Mod 12 in 12ga. I don't know what I weighed exactly back then but I bet I was under 60 pounds.

If a person wants any guns for SD, then they have no choice but to commit to learning one way or another and lots of practice.

Won't matter a bit what ya' got if you can't figure out how it works when the instant you need it happens.

I am not saying a 20 ga isn't worthy either. I shoot a 20 ga flinter more than any other gun I own. I shoot shot in it, I shoot round ball in it, and I shoot a load called Buck n Ball which is a 60 cal ball, a card, (9) 36 cal balls, another card and another 60 cal ball.

The problem is I can't find any 'bad guy' to test it on

That will rock yer world serious

Old 12-22-2010, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
With all due respect I disagree. So far as I can tell a women with a slight build will bend like a basket in a hurricane, and not snap like the sturdy oak.

I know because I weigh 145 pounds soaking wet, and have shot with women, who are under 100 pounds, and they can shoot anything I can shoot, and in some guns I can shoot hard recoiling guns longer than guys bigger than me.

I am not saying a woman or a guy for that matter who doesn't work up to a certain gun and or hot load should just go get a .458 Weatherby and stuff it in the closet to wait for a bad day. But with some training and a lot of practice almost any one can handel larger recoil.

When I was 6 years old, with my Dad I could stand and and shoot his Mil Issue Springfield on 30-06, and his Winchester Mod 12 in 12ga. I don't know what I weighed exactly back then but I bet I was under 60 pounds.

If a person wants any guns for SD, then they have no choice but to commit to learning one way or another and lots of practice.

Won't matter a bit what ya' got if you can't figure out how it works when the instant you need it happens.

I am not saying a 20 ga isn't worthy either. I shoot a 20 ga flinter more than any other gun I own. I shoot shot in it, I shoot round ball in it, and I shoot a load called Buck n Ball which is a 60 cal ball, a card, (9) 36 cal balls, another card and another 60 cal ball.

The problem is I can't find any 'bad guy' to test it on

That will rock yer world serious
You'll appreciate the ease of repairing, maintenance, simplicity, cheap parts of a GLOCK more than anyone else in this thread probably Mac. I'm sure you figured out by now, I can do just about anything and am FAR above the average handyman. I know you are too! I can tell by the technical questions you ask me. Mac has to be a mechanic! There is nothing greater than needing a part that most likely won't break, but if it does........ bam-bam 5 minutes and $4-$10 to repair and you are shootin again. That's another thing I love about them. I work on all my own stuff. I can fix just about anything on all of them. The average Joe can't. Gunsmiths hate GLOCKs. Why? Because everyone fixes them their self! LOL LOL LOL

Old 12-22-2010, 04:44 PM

19,126 posts, read 10,997,736 times
Yeah you have that right I am Mac Tools Muz My auto tools cost as much as a house pre 2004. My wood working tools can and do date into the 18th century to present, and if the power went out it would just take longer.

Never had a Glock, since I am a levers and switches type of guy. I am thin, and like single stack, which Glock proabably has now, but never followed them since they have no switches and levers.

I do all that girly stuff too, like sew leather by hand for my knives sheaths, axe sheaths, and clothing in leather, wool and other. I can and do dress myself from head to toe, with tools, as well as my wife and some of my friends.

I make the blades too, whole thing, no modern nuthin, and before silver went thru the roof, made a type of jewelery which is also money and better money than paper money, which ain't money in the first place, but is a note of debt. Today I got a real silver dollar and (2) 1/2 dollars in silver, that used to be almost real money. Parts of a metal that almost could represent gold which is the only money.

I got a paper Silver certificate for grins. It's worth a buck as a note of debt, but the certified silver it represents is a lie... OT I know, but IF the govt can call a Certified note for metal, silver in this case, no longer good, what can they do with a note of debt?

It kills me that so many people alive today were not born before the last real silver note, which was printed in 1957, and think the debt note is money, when the truth is in all their lives they have never seen or handled any money.

Any day the Govt wants it can cancell what most people think IS money.

A pre 1964 US silver quarter is still worth a gallon of gas, and you might even get change back.
End rant.

I will have to 'store handle' a Glock next time I get out, and have any money LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness