Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2010, 05:38 PM

3,511 posts, read 5,292,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Yeah you have that right I am Mac Tools Muz My auto tools cost as much as a house pre 2004. My wood working tools can and do date into the 18th century to present, and if the power went out it would just take longer.

Never had a Glock, since I am a levers and switches type of guy. I am thin, and like single stack, which Glock proabably has now, but never followed them since they have no switches and levers.

I do all that girly stuff too, like sew leather by hand for my knives sheaths, axe sheaths, and clothing in leather, wool and other. I can and do dress myself from head to toe, with tools, as well as my wife and some of my friends.

I make the blades too, whole thing, no modern nuthin, and before silver went thru the roof, made a type of jewelery which is also money and better money than paper money, which ain't money in the first place, but is a note of debt. Today I got a real silver dollar and (2) 1/2 dollars in silver, that used to be almost real money. Parts of a metal that almost could represent gold which is the only money.

I got a paper Silver certificate for grins. It's worth a buck as a note of debt, but the certified silver it represents is a lie... OT I know, but IF the govt can call a Certified note for metal, silver in this case, no longer good, what can they do with a note of debt?

It kills me that so many people alive today were not born before the last real silver note, which was printed in 1957, and think the debt note is money, when the truth is in all their lives they have never seen or handled any money.

Any day the Govt wants it can cancell what most people think IS money.

A pre 1964 US silver quarter is still worth a gallon of gas, and you might even get change back.
End rant.

I will have to 'store handle' a Glock next time I get out, and have any money LOL
No single stack mags yet Mac. Better, is probably the thinnest double stacks made. Much thinner than SIG, Beretta, HK and all the others except the newer ones (ie) Springfield XD, S&W M&P etc. The average part is $1.50 to about $10. For parts prices like that, there is no need or excuse to have a GLOCK in ill-repair or not 100% at all times. Something gets a little worn after 4000 or 5000 rounds, just junk it and get a new part. I replace all of my recoil springs with captured guide-rod assemblies after about 3000 rounds. They are like $8 complete. Just junk it and have NEW performance. No excuses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2010, 05:45 PM

Revolvers are always simpler for novice shooters? A GLOCK has a slide-stop lever and a mag release. Nothing else to break or wear-out. My elderly dad can operate one fresh out of bed half asleep!

Old 12-22-2010, 05:57 PM

He isn't the only one. Dad was and still is a S&W revolver man. Always, that's what he always used until we got him to try a GLOCK. That made a believer out of me. If you can swing a revolver guy over to "The Dark side"! LOL May the force be with you! LOL LOL

Old 12-22-2010, 06:20 PM

15,972 posts, read 9,352,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Never had a Glock, since I am a levers and switches type of guy. I am thin, and like single stack, which Glock proabably has now, but never followed them since they have no switches and levers.
Are you talking about double action only handguns in general? I have a DAO revolver and prefer it to the one I had prior with the exposed hammer. (It always wanted to get caught on things.)

Old 12-22-2010, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
Are you talking about double action only handguns in general? I have a DAO revolver and prefer it to the one I had prior with the exposed hammer. (It always wanted to get caught on things.)
You can have the best of both worlds if you want. A Bodyguard, there is just enough tip of a hammer to use single if you want. It is completely shrouded to not get caught or snagged upon drawing or re-holstering. One of many........ S&W model 638 Airweight Bodyguard! Google Image Result for http://www.christiangunowner.com/images/swairweightsizesbi.jpg

Old 12-22-2010, 06:55 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,902,210 times
No MoNative, 1911 .45 types, which in other guns, like walter work more or less by the same controlls, but run in double action to single, with the abilty to wack a dud round once more incase the primer wasn't seated.

I would only do that on paper. I don't own a walter, but have 2 similar guns, one a old Model 90 beretta no one can buy new anymore and it's been years since anyone cold, and a EAA Witness, which feels 1911 like other than it's 1/2 plastic. The EAA has a doulbe wide mag, and is too wide to suit me for CC.

Glocks kinda bug me, in there is a safety tab in the trigger, and I am guessing here all it does is lock the sear. I ama real woodsie guy, and I can just see some twig getting inthat trigger guard and having the gun go boom in it's holster.

Axel will set me straight on that.

Another part of me is I like real wood and real blue steel. Kinda stuck in old school.

I have never owned a 6 gun worthy of cc either, but doubt i would go hammerless, and or use it in doulble action anyway, even it it was. 6 guns I have had, were all single action only so far, and all pretty long barreled guns for hunting.

I understand getting hooked on 'things', since i shoot flinters to punch paper and to hunt both deer and upland birds. Of course that is with a long gun, and I can cover the lock and the pan with one hand in the sticky thickets.

If I had a quaility cc 6 gun I might bob the hammer, but still be able to use it. Where I live guns get used up pretty hard and I am fussy. If i found a good S&W in .357 that wasn't strap cut from gas, and had good head spacing still, which was at a reasonable price which none are around heya' I might buy one, for the main idea of keeping my brass my brass.

I don't see my self as a good pistol shot, so have DAO isn't my idea of a good match to me anyway.

IMO it is very difficult to master a hand gun. I mean I do sort of ok, but I am not good. Good is cutting out the x ring in 5 shots, over and over again, standing sitting, prone, upside down after running 200 yards, sking 400 yards and you name it never missing that x ring.

Another DAO thing is most triggers are horrid, it's the nature of the beast. I am not LEO. I respect LEo's but never was one. I am more the hard core wack gun nut that see's threat to a way of life, which is my life. If these converstaions were pre 1980 i would be callin you hand gun guys nuts.

The world changed from the way my father saw it, then it changed from my points of view, and hand guns became a part of life. So now since Easter 1999 I carry one or two guns at the same time 24/7. I am hard core. i shower with a stainless steel mini loaded with .22 mags. I do chores on the farmett, that's the first time i said that word, probley mispelled it, but the point is a CC gun is never ever out of my instant reach......... ever. Frankly it's a pain since I don't wear watches, jewelery, carry a wallet and etc doing routine chores, but to be disarmed in the liberal society we have today, who plays a game called catch and release violent felons, just leaves me no other choice.

The mini allows me to be flat on my back under a truck and still be armed. That mini is far from the best, but the only other choice is a rock. Dressed to be in society I carry a Kimber in an Allessi shoulder rig. Now thats some fussissykated stuff and expensive, a sort of mans jewelery that works.

For lesser dress I carry a WW-2 vintage Remington Rand. At no time am I with out that NA mini.

I am dressed still as I was getting warm from 9 hours cutting, splitting and stacking cord wood, and still have that mini in my pocket. It was a good bet I wouldn't need it today anymore than I did yesterday , and or will tomorrow, but it will be there just the same.

Old 12-22-2010, 07:00 PM

Don't like Air weights and want a all S.S. .357 MAG? A S&W 649. Google Image Result for http://www.randymays.com/649.jpg

Old 12-22-2010, 07:01 PM

Axel I sort of don't agree a 6 gun is for novices, but then I do. That's a word game thing. What a newbie doesn't always 'get' is that in a semi auto, there is a good bet, unless the slide is locked back, there is another rnd waiting to be sent somewhere, and that's what gets newbies into a problem. The mechanics of a thing.

IMO a 6 gun needs a much harder to create 'timing' than any semi auto does, untill that semi becomes full auto, where timing is as critical as it gets.

80% of people as a guess have no idea what I am tawkin about when I mention timing. Maybe 20 gun guys here will, and 2 females.

I will pick another bone too, Glock parts are not cheap, they are inexpensive. Dam words huh? D

Old 12-22-2010, 07:03 PM

Axel tell me more on Air Weights. Can these hold up for lots of paper work, or are they CC only and practice with something in steels.

Seems the lesser weight to plain lug about is a advantage, but not if the gun is dainty.
Or is it recoil and recovery related?

Old 12-22-2010, 07:07 PM

15,972 posts, read 9,352,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axle grease View Post
You can have the best of both worlds if you want. A Bodyguard, there is just enough tip of a hammer to use single if you want. It is completely shrouded to not get caught or snagged upon drawing or re-holstering. One of many........ S&W model 638 Airweight Bodyguard! Google Image Result for http://www.christiangunowner.com/images/swairweightsizesbi.jpg
I looked into those. They're nice, but more pricey than I really wanted to spend. (I liked it better than the Ruger LCR)
I did get an 85 Ultralite by Taurus with the shrouded?? hammer and I'm pretty satisfied with it although it did take time to get used to the recoil. (My last revolver was a stainless .357 with a 4 inch vented barrell. I never did like it, so I always left it at home and never enjoyed firing it.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness