Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2010, 07:19 PM

3,511 posts, read 5,306,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
No MoNative, 1911 .45 types, which in other guns, like walter work more or less by the same controlls, but run in double action to single, with the abilty to wack a dud round once more incase the primer wasn't seated.

I would only do that on paper. I don't own a walter, but have 2 similar guns, one a old Model 90 beretta no one can buy new anymore and it's been years since anyone cold, and a EAA Witness, which feels 1911 like other than it's 1/2 plastic. The EAA has a doulbe wide mag, and is too wide to suit me for CC.

Glocks kinda bug me, in there is a safety tab in the trigger, and I am guessing here all it does is lock the sear. I ama real woodsie guy, and I can just see some twig getting inthat trigger guard and having the gun go boom in it's holster.

Axel will set me straight on that.

Another part of me is I like real wood and real blue steel. Kinda stuck in old school.

I have never owned a 6 gun worthy of cc either, but doubt i would go hammerless, and or use it in doulble action anyway, even it it was. 6 guns I have had, were all single action only so far, and all pretty long barreled guns for hunting.

I understand getting hooked on 'things', since i shoot flinters to punch paper and to hunt both deer and upland birds. Of course that is with a long gun, and I can cover the lock and the pan with one hand in the sticky thickets.

If I had a quaility cc 6 gun I might bob the hammer, but still be able to use it. Where I live guns get used up pretty hard and I am fussy. If i found a good S&W in .357 that wasn't strap cut from gas, and had good head spacing still, which was at a reasonable price which none are around heya' I might buy one, for the main idea of keeping my brass my brass.

I don't see my self as a good pistol shot, so have DAO isn't my idea of a good match to me anyway.

IMO it is very difficult to master a hand gun. I mean I do sort of ok, but I am not good. Good is cutting out the x ring in 5 shots, over and over again, standing sitting, prone, upside down after running 200 yards, sking 400 yards and you name it never missing that x ring.

Another DAO thing is most triggers are horrid, it's the nature of the beast. I am not LEO. I respect LEo's but never was one. I am more the hard core wack gun nut that see's threat to a way of life, which is my life. If these converstaions were pre 1980 i would be callin you hand gun guys nuts.

The world changed from the way my father saw it, then it changed from my points of view, and hand guns became a part of life. So now since Easter 1999 I carry one or two guns at the same time 24/7. I am hard core. i shower with a stainless steel mini loaded with .22 mags. I do chores on the farmett, that's the first time i said that word, probley mispelled it, but the point is a CC gun is never ever out of my instant reach......... ever. Frankly it's a pain since I don't wear watches, jewelery, carry a wallet and etc doing routine chores, but to be disarmed in the liberal society we have today, who plays a game called catch and release violent felons, just leaves me no other choice.

The mini allows me to be flat on my back under a truck and still be armed. That mini is far from the best, but the only other choice is a rock. Dressed to be in society I carry a Kimber in an Allessi shoulder rig. Now thats some fussissykated stuff and expensive, a sort of mans jewelery that works.

For lesser dress I carry a WW-2 vintage Remington Rand. At no time am I with out that NA mini.

I am dressed still as I was getting warm from 9 hours cutting, splitting and stacking cord wood, and still have that mini in my pocket. It was a good bet I wouldn't need it today anymore than I did yesterday , and or will tomorrow, but it will be there just the same.
That trigger (bar/block) prevents the trigger from being fully depressed unless your finger is all the way across it and deliberately pull it. You also have a striker block. The striker (ie like a firing pin) is blocked unless you deliberately pull the trigger. In that case, if you were to drop the weapon, nothing would happen. Throw it off a 6 story building if you want. It's been done before and passed. It still won't go off. GLOCKs are just like revolvers once you understand them. They don't have a external (manual) safety except for the trigger (block/bar). Everything thing else is internal and automatic. What is the safety on GLOCKs and SIGs? The same as a revolver. The one between your ears! Keep your finger off that trigger and outta the trigger guard until you wish to fire and destroy something. Everyone trained should be doing this with any and all firearms. Rest your trigger finger on the outside edge of the trigger guard until you commit to firing the weapon. This also is a good idea if you were clearing a room or your house. You are walking around and turn a corner. Only to find your kid or spouse hiding behind the wall. If your finger was resting on the trigger, you might pull it out of startled reflex. If it was resting outside, it takes you a fraction of a second to move in on it. This buys you a fraction of a second to think about it. With any luck you will realize they are a friendly! If it was a bad guy.......... move in and bang! The proper mindset and training is very very important folks!

Last edited by Axle grease; 12-22-2010 at 07:30 PM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2010, 07:29 PM

A negligent discharge of a civilian reminds me of this. This was awhile back. He was sticking his loaded and chambered SIG P-239 into his back pocket to go out for the night. He had his finger on the trigger. It SHOULD NOT have been there. Who does something like that anyway? No one I care to be around! Well, he shot himself in the a$$! The responding EMT's and officers, whom are all gun guys, said........ "you dumb f***"! I can say I blame them!

Old 12-22-2010, 07:37 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,961,276 times
Axel like a shcwartz safety pin lock? If so I didn't know that. My Kimber has that as well as all the other safeties a 1911 has. Not real thrilled with that since I don't see much improving on J Browning's design, but.......

Mo I never yet have tried a Tarus anything, but there is magic in S&W. Now i think S&W is as ugly as ugly gets, but when the point of impact matters, and that's all that really does, that magic comes right out. With a S&W I am the 'Man'or the S&W tells lies. I am more inclined to think the pistol tells lies, since I am not that good. So it has to be magic.

Old 12-22-2010, 08:01 PM

Old 12-22-2010, 08:04 PM

That has all your parts. How they look and go in. All your factory recommended lube points. All the safeties and all the springs. Yeah, how about that!

Old 12-22-2010, 08:11 PM

This one is for all the experienced guys who already own a GLOCK and have had a fairly difficult task through the years without the proper tool. Everyone knows how hard it is to get the base plate off of a GLOCK magazine to clean it or replace a mag spring, right? This is the greatest thing since sliced bread for your GLOCK. It takes about 30 seconds or less without marring or messing up the mag in anyway shape or form. I think I did a cartwheel the first time I used one! LOL https://www.mygtul.com/products.php (broken link)

Old 12-23-2010, 11:43 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,509,504 times
Quote:
Axel like a shcwartz safety pin lock? If so I didn't know that. My Kimber has that as well as all the other safeties a 1911 has. Not real thrilled with that since I don't see much improving on J Browning's design, but.....
I used to agree with you, Mac, about the firing pin block on the Series 80 Colts (at least, I THINK that's what you're talking about). However, I have seen the light.

Getting ready to fire a new-to-me Series 70 Combat Commander, I racked the slide to chamber the first round. The @#$% thing went off when the slide went into battery! My finger was outside the trigger guard, a fact that the range officer verified.

The round hit the dirt where I had it pointed, about 15 feet downrange. Nobody got hurt, but I almost had to change my linen. That was my first-ever AD, and I sure hope it will be the last.

Turned out the firing pin spring was weak. I replaced it and haven't had even the slightest problem since.

But it sure woulda been nice to have a firing pin block.

Old 12-23-2010, 11:48 AM

Part 3 is a type of schwartz safety. I typoed it the first time in the post above. The dead give away is the firing pin has a machined detent, where parts 3 fits to lock the firing pin.

The tool to pull the floor plate is nice pastel colors too LOL

Old 12-23-2010, 12:02 PM

Nighteyes, are you certain it was the spring, or could it be gunk build from a lot of use and time? I am betting it was more gunk than spring, but the gunk went with the new spring.

In theory you can take down a 1911 to nuthing but parts, using it's own parts as tools. The Kimber can't do that.

Some things like springs need to be changed out for new as common maint. At these times an eye to a few details like sear angles and the like which can wear should be checked out closely. I know you know how. You might not want clean a sharp edge, but you can tell if it is burred up. I am betting you can do that too, but a lot of people shouldn't even try.

The Black Army I have here, not mine (I wish) need a new 3 fingers spring (sear spring). It's there, but it's about 100 years old. Just a matter of time and finding one.

I find 2 main things wrong with most any gun used. 1 they are left dirty, only field cleaned, and gunk happens. 2 the springs get weak over a very long time, in use.

I have fixed bolt guns. mostly mausers and for my life I don't see how pine needles, hemlock tree needels, dog hairs, and other assorted gunk get inside a bolt, to be on the springs and firing pins, but they do, and always in a critical cut. At this point i wouldn't be surprised to find bits of a certain blue dress inside a bolt well. LOL

And side plate shotties! OMG! the things that get into these side locks is just un-real.

Old 12-23-2010, 12:29 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,509,504 times
Quote:
No MoNative, 1911 .45 types, which in other guns, like walter work more or less by the same controlls, but run in double action to single, with the abilty to wack a dud round once more incase the primer wasn't seated.

I would only do that on paper. I don't own a walter, but have 2 similar guns, one a old Model 90 beretta no one can buy new anymore and it's been years since anyone cold, and a EAA Witness, which feels 1911 like other than it's 1/2 plastic. The EAA has a doulbe wide mag, and is too wide to suit me for CC.
I never liked the Walther PP or PPK -- no matter how careful I was, the slides always "tracked" me, and the double-action trigger pull is atrocious. My guilty-pleasure (meaning that I probably shouldn't like it but I do) handgun is an Astra A60. My A60 is basically a .380 Walther PPK with a 12-round double column magazine, a slicked up trigger, and improved grip geometry. I have three magazines for it, and would like a few more. Alas, they're almost as scarce as hen's teeth. Even Alas-er, I live in California...

Quote:
I have never owned a 6 gun worthy of cc either, but doubt i would go hammerless, and or use it in doulble action anyway, even it it was. 6 guns I have had, were all single action only so far, and all pretty long barreled guns for hunting.
You know of my preference for my S&W Model 19 for initial home defense.

I believe you've seen pics of me in my Cowboy Action Shooting rig (except, when I do it, its Indian Action Shooting).

My favorite single-action pistols are a brace of Uberti "Remington New Model Army" revolvers with .45 Colt conversion cylinders. The NMA's, as you know, have 8-inch barrels. My backups are a brace of Uberti "1851 Colt Richards-Mason Conversions" in .38 spl. They have 7.5-inch barrels. I find that I prefer the longer barrels. (That way, if I should miss a target, I can reach out and knock it over with the muzzle... )

If you have a Facebook account, you can see a video of me shooting a stage (2 pistols, rifle, shotgun) in the 2010 Gates of Hell match. Let me know if you do and are interested, and I'll send you a message containing my Facebook information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness