U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2010, 12:41 PM

19,122 posts, read 21,231,314 times

Advertisements

Nighteyes I agree double action mode on most semi autos os poor at best. I never owned a walther, but used it as an example for function.

I do have that model 90 beretta, but it's so old I don't even know if google would turn one up. I think it may have been the gun in the early James Bond movies, but I am not sure.

I also have a El Cheapo gun I like but shouldn't. A Iver Johnson TP 22, which is a clone of the Walther, but in .22LR. It lives a cloth note book binder, handy if I get robbed with my pants off.

Sure we can swap FB accounts, but I am on 56 k mo dumb dial up. Video is pretty hard to get loaded. My other choice is satilite which is in this dwelling, but goes fluky anytime a cloud passes by and NH we got clouds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2010, 12:42 PM

3,511 posts, read 4,292,498 times
There is no doubt that you fellas and many others in these threads know their stuff. The other guy........... well I know you are laughing too! LMAO IMO, a kid that's a troll and watched too many movies! LOL

Old 12-23-2010, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Nighteyes I agree double action mode on most semi autos os poor at best. I never owned a walther, but used it as an example for function.

I do have that model 90 beretta, but it's so old I don't even know if google would turn one up. I think it may have been the gun in the early James Bond movies, but I am not sure.

I also have a El Cheapo gun I like but shouldn't. A Iver Johnson TP 22, which is a clone of the Walther, but in .22LR. It lives a cloth note book binder, handy if I get robbed with my pants off.

Sure we can swap FB accounts, but I am on 56 k mo dumb dial up. Video is pretty hard to get loaded. My other choice is satilite which is in this dwelling, but goes fluky anytime a cloud passes by and NH we got clouds.
Iver Johnson is NOT junk Mac! Torea$$ is!

Old 12-23-2010, 01:07 PM

I didn't say it was junk, but brand new it was $99.00. Runs just fine.

I sold a I J single shot 12Ga, missin that rig lots.....

Old 12-23-2010, 01:13 PM

Quote:
I didn't say it was junk, but brand new it was $99.00. Runs just fine.

I sold a I J single shot 12Ga, missin that rig lots.....
I'll stick by my $100 Norinco SKS as well. Battle proven and tested 100%.

Old 12-23-2010, 01:15 PM

Well you won't fit that in a jeans wallet pocket will ya....... LOL

i gotta see if google comes up with the I J TP 22 and the Model 90 beretta

http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy&h...0c298870d8e204

http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy&h...0c298870d8e204

How about that!

Old 12-23-2010, 01:57 PM

1,626 posts, read 2,064,930 times
Quote:
Couple comments. A cheap 20 ga can kick like a mule, the stock has a lot more to do with the felt recoil than the loads. I have been woke rght up hard by some cheaper 20 ga shot guns.

18 inch: I wouldn't buy any shot gun factory made with any 18 barrels on a bet. All it takes is one bad cop to scrap a barrel on the ground one slide, to make that barrel less than 18 inches. A risk I am not personally willing to take. I wouldn't own any thing less than 18.5 inches, but then I tend to be fussy about the idea of prison.
Good point on the barrel, I'll stand corrected. 18.5 it is.

Old 12-23-2010, 02:05 PM

The very shortest shotgun I ever owned was a LC Smith someone else cut, and did it well, at 18 and 1/4 inches, but that is my bare minium, to buy a used gun. Once I run out a tape to check if any shot gun is less than that, I put it down and wipe it clean walk away...

If I wanted a shot gun like gun less than that I would build it for black powder. As a hunter I don't want any shot gun shorter than 18 and 1/4 inches anyway. I will never own a pistol grip shot gun, it must have a full stock for the way i hunt.

Old 12-23-2010, 02:15 PM

3,491 posts, read 5,250,198 times
Quote:
Nighteyes, are you certain it was the spring, or could it be gunk build from a lot of use and time? I am betting it was more gunk than spring, but the gunk went with the new spring.
Nope, it was the spring. When I first got the pistol, before shooting it, I stripped it down and gave it a thorough cleaning -- something I always do with a previously-owned acquisition. (After all, one has absolutely no idea where they've been... ) That included removing and cleaning the firing pin, spring and extractor. I also used Q-tips and pipe cleaners to clean the spaces where they reside.

Quote:
I find 2 main things wrong with most any gun used. 1 they are left dirty, only field cleaned, and gunk happens. 2 the springs get weak over a very long time, in use.
Note what I said above. As the man said, we find ourselves in head-to-head agreement!

Quote:
I have fixed bolt guns. mostly mausers and for my life I don't see how pine needles, hemlock tree needels, dog hairs, and other assorted gunk get inside a bolt, to be on the springs and firing pins, but they do, and always in a critical cut. At this point i wouldn't be surprised to find bits of a certain blue dress inside a bolt well. LOL
I don't know much about hemlock tree needles, and I'm quite sure I don't want to know about the blue dress. Coming from the Deep South as I do, I could write a book about pines (long leaf, short leaf and loblolly) and scrub oaks.

My center-fire bolt action rifles are Springfield and Savage (love that .308 10FP), though I do have a sad-but-solid P14 Enfield as a project rifle. Now, if I could only find a reasonably priced .30-06 barrel for it...

In .22 caliber I have a well-scoped CZ 452 Varmint for long-range precision work (out to about 450 yards, believe it or not), and an also-scoped Mossberg 802 Plinkster for anything else.

With all the above said, I once found a well-smooshed mosquito on the bolt face of my Springfield Armory M1A, and a severely-flattened TICK on the follower of a magazine. Needless to say, I'd been out in the bush for quite a while.

Old 12-23-2010, 02:18 PM

There is a plant called Sensitive Plant that has a leaf type similar in shape to hemlock tree needles. Spruce tree like x-mass trees have a some what similar needle leaf too. I find hemlock needles in my ears all the time

From time to time people hire me to clean guns well, and I do, real well, and find all sorts of gunk, even when the rest of the gun is decent. This is all done face to face with the gun brought to me and placed in my hands.

I don't really fix guns while i could but I 'adjust' them since repairs are a bit dicey in terms of LAW.

Black Powder is not included and that type of 6 gun has been shipped to me for real repairs where welding and very difficult file working were in order to fix them. Things like a hammer lug on a 1858 colt hammer were worn round, and 'timing' issues with the 'bolt' had to be repaired and adjusted.

When I worked for a FFL I was able to do more, not because of the FFL's tooling but because of the LAW. That FLL had 0 tools.

Good way for a tick to die IMO. I got a bad thing for ticks. I kill them on sight, and don't think a thing of it. I am as good at it as a chicken too. I just don't eat them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness